Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852774 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3320 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
I have researched it. Been reading up on all three of them the entire 15 months I’ve owned the bike.  The things I’ve read are the reasons I sent it to Ivan! I’m not going to get into an ECU flash war here. You will just have to take my word that I did extensive research on several websites before I made my decision.

My main reason for changing the exhaust was to get rid of the big ugly potato cannon they use for stock exhaust. I don’t really want it to be a lot louder than stock. I really thought that if I gave it enough time, maybe... just maybe, the looks of the stock exhaust would grow on me. 15 months later... nope, not happening!

I like the numbers I’ve seen with the Area P full system, but again, not the best looking exhaust. Out of the aftermarket exhaust available, I think the Akraprovic looks the best and seems to be one of the quieter exhaust available. It doesn’t hurt that there are some slight performance gains with it as well.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Freddy

« Reply #3321 on: April 15, 2019, 07:54:39 PM »
 :thumbs:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3322 on: April 18, 2019, 05:54:39 AM »
Nice, relaxed 110 mile ride two days ago (before the monsoons came) up in the pre-Ozarks. Lots of really nice roads, very little traffic.

Gonna change out the battery later today. Tried to keep it one more year, but no dice. The bike starts, but I get the "low battery" warning. I've had a replacement Skorp on a tender for some time now.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3323 on: April 20, 2019, 08:09:16 PM »
Installed my flashed ECU and Akrapovic slip on exhaust. It really woke this bike up! Very happy with the results.

Haven’t decided if I am going to leave the baffles (DB Killers) out or not. It has a really good sound with them out, but it is a little louder than I was wanting. A few more rides and I’ll make up my mind...
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #3324 on: April 21, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
Mounted Phil’s rack and rails. Installed the little rubber strip with 3 raised holes that sits between windshield and metal windshield mount as I found one missing after I brought the bike home. Ordered something from someone somewhere today, hopefully it shows up and I will update this post. If not, I will update this post.
Great site you have here.
2012 covered in dust from the baby chicks🐤 in my shop, black and stock besides tires. And rack and rails....

Offline JerBear

« Reply #3325 on: April 23, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »
Took off the plastics for changing the air filter and coolant change and Throttle Body adjustment.  I got the filter in but ran out of daylight and it was getting late anyway.  Tomorrow I'll get the hoses on and the coolant change done.  Darn shame work has to keep getting in the way of progress  :D

I'm very surprised how much has to be done for just an air filter :o it had to come off anyway for the other stuff but it's too involved for a simple air filter change!
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3326 on: April 23, 2019, 08:43:11 PM »
Took off the plastics for changing the air filter and coolant change and Throttle Body adjustment.  I got the filter in but ran out of daylight and it was getting late anyway.  Tomorrow I'll get the hoses on and the coolant change done.  Darn shame work has to keep getting in the way of progress  :D

I'm very surprised how much has to be done for just an air filter :o it had to come off anyway for the other stuff but it's too involved for a simple air filter change!

Yeah, you can see why at 9 years and almost 40K miles, I haven't done it. :)  But I did put an air filter in my Amazon cart a month ago.  At some point I hope to get the valves checked, and replace the cam sensor seal, air filter, and coolant.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #3327 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »
Ok, AST Passenger backrest came in today. Nice! Ordered it Sunday I believe? Slapped the base plate under Phil’s rails then slid the big bent backrest pad support in and bolted it in as far back as I was able. Mounted the pad on the stick, took a step back and looked at it without any bags and thought “that completely ruins the lines of the bike”.
Looks good with the Givi 47 top bag. Looks better with momma against it. No bags, no bueno. Fortunately it’s not too hard to pull the rack and then remove the boomerang with the pad leaving the base plate and rails in place, then remounting Phil’s rack, but I am concerned about the threads in the soft aluminum after repeated disassembly/assembly.
I believe the key to my issue is fabricating my own “boomerang” so I can get the pad lower and another half inch/inch back.
As I expected I need to remove the top case to open fully, but I can live with that for now. A smaller boomerang may fix this as well.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #3328 on: April 24, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »
Yeah, you can see why at 9 years and almost 40K miles, I haven't done it. :)  But I did put an air filter in my Amazon cart a month ago.  At some point I hope to get the valves checked, and replace the cam sensor seal, air filter, and coolant.

9 Years and you haven't replaced the air filter!!!  wow, talk about deferred maintenance.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3329 on: April 24, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
Its not that bad Max! I changed mine the first time by just removing the glovebox and a few odds and ends.

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3330 on: April 24, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
9 Years and you haven't replaced the air filter!!!  wow, talk about deferred maintenance.

LOL!

I know.... don't ask me how long before I finally replaced the brake/clutch fluids...  Things haven't gone quite according to my plans.  At least I have changed the oil/oil filter and differential oil regularly (and the brake pads).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JerBear

« Reply #3331 on: April 25, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
Well I got the rest of the plastic off and changed the coolant, re-installed the secondary flies so I can get a SISF flash and got the vacuum lines on for the throttle body adjust attached.  WHAT A B***H that 2nd port required me to stand on my head, shine a flashlight with my right foot and pull the old cover off with both hands!  I am SOOOO glad I never have to do that again.  I really believe that mama Kaw never wanted us to even attempt this :o the way it was designed.....

I'm really looking forward to the actual adjustment especially the center adjustment screw :doh:
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3332 on: April 25, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Well I got the rest of the plastic off and changed the coolant, re-installed the secondary flies so I can get a SISF flash and got the vacuum lines on for the throttle body adjust attached.  WHAT A B***H that 2nd port required me to stand on my head, shine a flashlight with my right foot and pull the old cover off with both hands!  I am SOOOO glad I never have to do that again.  I really believe that mama Kaw never wanted us to even attempt this :o the way it was designed.....

I'm really looking forward to the actual adjustment especially the center adjustment screw :doh:

I am curious if it needs adjustment.  My memory is not good, but of the few posts I remember reading about the results of performing a throttle body sync, nobody has ever found them to be enough out of sync to need adjusting.  We probably should have thrown up a poll about it (what mileage, did it need adjustment or not).  I vaguely remember the procedure on my ZRX with my friend using some kind of vacuum mercury gauge and it never needed adjustment on that bike either (and that was a pretty old tech at this point, even had carbs).  I suppose if you have the tools and time (and the manual does call for it), and have everything apart (especially when checking valve lash) it is worth doing just to make sure things the throttles are not out of sync.  Do let us know what happens with yours :)

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3333 on: April 26, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
Yesterday,

finished cleaning, greasing and adjusting steering stem bearings.

Installed a duel USB port and auxiliary lights on fork brackets.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3334 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
I made some attempts to get the center adjustment screws before I bothered with vac attachment ports. I had everything off for valve adjustment and cleaning the fuel filter. I decided I could not/would not do it. Close to 60,000 and runs pretty sweet.
Wayne

I am curious if it needs adjustment.  My memory is not good, but of the few posts I remember reading about the results of performing a throttle body sync, nobody has ever found them to be enough out of sync to need adjusting.  We probably should have thrown up a poll about it (what mileage, did it need adjustment or not).  I vaguely remember the procedure on my ZRX with my friend using some kind of vacuum mercury gauge and it never needed adjustment on that bike either (and that was a pretty old tech at this point, even had carbs).  I suppose if you have the tools and time (and the manual does call for it), and have everything apart (especially when checking valve lash) it is worth doing just to make sure things the throttles are not out of sync.  Do let us know what happens with yours :)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3335 on: April 26, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
I made some attempts to get the center adjustment screws before I bothered with vac attachment ports. I had everything off for valve adjustment and cleaning the fuel filter. I decided I could not/would not do it. Close to 60,000 and runs pretty sweet.

You didn't do the valve check, the throttle sync, or both?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3336 on: April 26, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
I did the valves. A couple were out of spec but I moved all of them closer to the upper range. Took the rad out and flushed. Check filter again but it was fairly new at the time. That synch though, no way.

You didn't do the valve check, the throttle sync, or both?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline JerBear

« Reply #3337 on: April 28, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »

Yeah I get what you're saying but to me, it's like getting a colonoscopy.  Not something I look forward to but knowing it's done and all clear is a weight lifted off.  I may be weird  :o but I actually like working on my bike and knowing it was done right.  Fred Harmon's videos make it so much easier to accomplish I have a manual but they are visual and the pictures in the Kaw manual don't work well for me. 

My engine was (at times) surging at idle and it was bugging me to get the TB Synch checked.  If you look at his videos there was quite a difference about 10-15 between bank one (cyl 1-2) and bank two (cyl 3-4)  and about ten between 1 &2 and ten between 3 & 4 respectively.  IDK that it make a huge difference but I'm going to give it a try and for what I have invested in it, it's less than half the cost of  what the dealership would have charged me to rubber-stamp it as "fine"

As far as comparing this procedure to the valve check,  Not even close especially in time needed.  I had my bike torn apart for several day as I couldn't work full time on it and just getting the correct shim sizes was darn near impossible.  I had to wait for them to come and then, somehow (Brainfart) the inboard #4 cyl intake valve was wayyyyyy off upon reassemble so off goes that cam and all its allocated fasteners just to remeasure one stinking valve!  getting that chain to match the marks and stay in position was an absolute nightmare (for me).

If you can do a valve adjustment you can do this too!
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3338 on: April 28, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »
I didn't have trouble with the chain but did have the cams out twice. Nerve racking job for me.
 Getting to those inner screws looked to tough. Good luck.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #3339 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
Fabbed my own backrest stalk out of inch and a half by quarter inch flat stock. Sits low and back on the Sargent seat just like the Corbin setup. AND now I can open my 47L Givi all the way without removing it :)
Already threaded, just a minor adjustment and some paint. Comfort approved on the center stand by momma. I can post some photos if anyone would be interested.