Author Topic: Comfortable helmet  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Jose C-14

Comfortable helmet
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
I have and extremly unusual head. My melon is oblique, meaning that no matter what helmet I try, I get a sharp mark on the front of my head especially during long rides. I wonder if any one has the same problem and what type of helmet more comfortable for you. I'm using a HJC XXL open face but I cant seems to find any XXL helmets on the market.  ???

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Comfortable helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
I believe the Bell Star and RS-1 are also considered to be oval shape. Check out the helmet reviews at webbikeworld.com they do a really good job of describing which helmets are shaped for which heads, etc.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »
Arai Profile. That's what I have and I love it. Supposed to be one of the longest ovals on the market.  Lots of airflow.  I have found it to be LOUD on the C14. As loud as my old HJC Clmax modular. When it is in clean air it quiets down a lot with just a small whistle. But At my height(5'10") and riding position The air off the windshield hits me right at the base of the helmet. With the windshield up it quiets down a lot.

I had a small problem after the foam broke in the helmet would slide back just a tad and the cheek pads would press on my ears. After a few hours it would become painful. A little carving on the foam in the cheek pads and it fits perfectly now.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:57 PM »
Take the cheek pads out of the helmet so that you are just testing the fit of the helmet to the top of your head...once you find a helmet that fits your noggin then reinstall the cheek pads to determine the correct cheek pad thickness for you...I like my cheek pads snug, but not so snug that I have trouble opening my mouth...good luck finding the correct helmet.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »
Ditto on the Arai Profile Long Oval - find a shop that sells 'em and give it a try.  You may even find that the proper fit is a smaller helmet size than you think with the proper shape for your head.

The first helmet I've owned that doesn't giver me 'forehead burn' so I can wear it all day without pain.  Noisier than others but I wear earplugs anyway so that helps and it certainly does vent well.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
Keep dreamin Jose, Helmets are just not designed to be comfortable 100% of the time. My HJC CL-15 is the best I've ever had, and it is only good about 50% of the time. Heat, cold, humidity, wind noise, buffetting, scratched shields, sweating, rain, etc. all affect a helmet.
I look at it like most other things about riding, sometimes you just have to deal with it sometimes.
Sorry, not the help you were looking for.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Jose C-14

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 06:23:02 AM »
Thank you all for your comments and sudgestions. Has anyone had any luck with open face helmets? Any open face helmets that minimized the forehead burn?

Offline booger

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
Ditto on the Arai Profile Long Oval - find a shop that sells 'em and give it a try.  You may even find that the proper fit is a smaller helmet size than you think with the proper shape for your head.

The first helmet I've owned that doesn't giver me 'forehead burn' so I can wear it all day without pain.  Noisier than others but I wear earplugs anyway so that helps and it certainly does vent well.

Arai Profile Long Oval.  I wear xl - xxl on most helmets.  Large on my  Arai.

Schuberth also seems to be oval shape.  Or possibly they just run larger.  But there isn't any "forehead burn".

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
hey Jose, how ya doin'?

I might suggest a ride over to Daytona to The Helmet Shop, huge selection with good pricing and excellent customer service, people there that know their stuff.. I have bought there before, went in looking for a Bell, wound up walking out with a Nolan. It just fit better.

I'm headed over one day this week to get some mesh pants. I found some I'm interested in, but they are temporarily out of stock at the store. They are ordering them in in a couple of sizes so I can try them on in person. The unbought pair will go on the store floor. Kinda nice for locals to actually be able to try stuff on without dealing with mail order, at prices that are very competitive with internet pricing. Give 'em a call and explain what you're looking for.

Missed you at Ozello Trail
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
Just dont have a faceplant on an open face helmet!!!!! :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
If you go to a brick-n-mortar store, try them on... walk around for 30 minutes or so just to get a feel on the fit and feel.  ;)  You'll find the hotspots on your forehead and such that way pretty quick... Try the Scorpion EXO-200 and EXO-100, depending on what type of openface you are looking for.  They are great helmets for the money.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jose C-14

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Hey Steve: I'm fine. Trying to ride as much as posible but the weather is not cooperatiing. I when to the helmet store but I couldn't fine one that would fit and look nice enough to be C-14 worthy. I wilol look into the Scorpion EXO-200 that was recomended next time I'm in Daytona. Take care

Offline pdlt

• Realistic about life
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
I love my Arai Corsairs Have had a couple different ones and they rock.  Very pricey, but I can wear it all day long and not ever feel like I am anxious to take it off.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
Try stuffing a bit of foam in the top of your helmet.  It should take a bit of the pressure from the forehead and transfer that to the top of your head.  I have on helmet with a circle of seat cushion foam that is sort of fibrous and flows air pretty well.  Works and is cheap.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
not my favorite brand but Arai is hands down the most comfortable helmet IMO
Not my favorite because of that very stupid visor changing system.
They are also hot because they have so much plush stuffing inside.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
I thought I wanted an Aria until I tried it on...it had something inside that just touched the end of my nose (no it is not an abnormally long nose) and it would have drove me nuts...the Shoei fit me perfect and I find it very comfortable...try them all on before buying one
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
I thought I wanted an Aria until I tried it on...it had something inside that just touched the end of my nose (no it is not an abnormally long nose) and it would have drove me nuts...the Shoei fit me perfect and I find it very comfortable...try them all on before buying one

That "something" is a removable (luckily) breath deflector that is supposed to divert your breath away from the face shield to keep it from fogging up.  I bought a new Arai Profile a couple weeks ago and it hit my nose too, so I just pulled it out.  I may try trimming it up a little and putting it back in when the weather gets colder.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
I friggin love my Arai Profile.
I went from a large HJC to a medium Arai because I finally found a helmet that fit.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1726.msg18408#msg18408
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:22:02 PM »
I have a long oval head also. In years past, I always ended up with a hot spot at the top front of my head. The Shoei RF-1100 is the first helmet I've had that doesn't do that. I don't think it's as long oval as the Arai Profile, but it works for me.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold