Author Topic: ### LED Dash Lights (w/ Video) ###  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Motor32

• '87 Concours '16 Ninja 300R
### LED Dash Lights (w/ Video) ###
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
I just installed some Super Bright LEDs in the dash of my 1987 Concours. I've attached a quick video from You-Tube. The question I have is after I was done I noticed the white "check headlight" stays on? The Headlight is good in low and highbeam. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 LED Dash Lights.

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: ### LED Dash Lights (w/ Video) ###
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
Just a swag here. Since LED's do not operate the same as normal bulb (no filament) the circuit is thinking your bulb is burnt out. No idea how to fix it though.  How did you tie them into the circuit?  You may have to run them through a relay.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Motor32

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
I just removed and replaced the bulbs. I did try the stock bulb again and noticed it was also on but very dim. Crazy!!!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:05:52 AM »
Maybe your headlight isn't really good.  The module that senses it, and lights up the indicator bulb also makes the headlight work no matter what position your hi/low beam switch is in.  So, even if one element is burned out, the other one lights up.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Motor32

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
OK, so I tried it with a new headlight bulb with no change. Anyone know were that signal module from the headlight to the warning indiacator light is??? Thanks again.

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
I take it this is unique to the early C10s? I have an 02 but no headlight warning light.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
I just removed and replaced the bulbs. I did try the stock bulb again and noticed it was also on but very dim.

Mine has always been that way . . . on very dim, don't notice it in the daytime. When a headlight element burns out, the indicator comes on brightly.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
My '87 has all LEDs in the dash lights and of course has the headlight module.  The module is by-passable but I can't remember how.  Mine is not bypassed.  LEDs require a very small amount of wattage to operate.  As far as I know, the module sends current (sensing) on both the hi and lo side to know if it needs to switch to the good filiment in the event one goes out.  Mine also comes on very dimly at night and is not noticeable during the day.  You could put a normal bulb back in and this should go away.

I run HIDs on my other C10, but no LED dash bulbs (yet).  The white indicator never comes on but the hi-beam indicator is dimily lit at night in low beam mode (can't see it during daylight).  There is also a faint squeal.  It is full bright when on hi beam.  This is because the bulb is always on and uses magnetics to move the bulb.  I guess there is a small amount of current from the ballast going thru in lo beam mode to the hi beam side.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »
I take it this is unique to the early C10s? I have an 02 but no headlight warning light.
yes only the early model c-10's had this.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."