Author Topic: Shaving.... like a man  (Read 29190 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Shaving.... like a CAVE man
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
Actually, I was picturing middle- aged Albanian women wearing thongs at the beach. Shiver me timber. Now I can't get that image out of my mind.  :(

Off to shave now and for the first time, I am sorta' hoping I slip....

Brian

:rotflmao:

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Shaving.... like a man
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »
I am in the middle of a nine day vacation from work so once I return I will start on mine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
So many questions!!  Brian, did ya execute the whiskers like a man or did ya cheat?  And how are them razors coming along???

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »
Took 'em off with a straight and caught the soapy hairballs (very attractive by the way) with a sponge. This is the first time my face has been exposed (easy boys!) for something like 25 years and it was not very happy about it. It did not like being scraped with a razor either. No cuts but lots o' swelling and bright red skin like some kind of nuclear sunburn. All better now and plan on shaving until around the beginning of Feb. to work on technique.

This was in front of Twisted Throttle on our Christmas Day ride

I will upload some photos of the restoration of that Torrey later but I will say I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out.

Brian

So many questions!!  Brian, did ya execute the whiskers like a man or did ya cheat?  And how are them razors coming along???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
That face sure looks like a frumpy weatherman ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
That face was a little stiff (easy boys!) 'cause it was 23 F out and I had just gotten off the highway.

These photos were taken by the gentleman who did the work on the razor. I <might> have attempted it myself but was ascairt because of the Mother of Pearl tang covers; they are in perfect shape and etched with the mfg's mark so are basically irreplaceable. Mark did a fantastic job of NOT breaking them either taking them off or putting them back on.

This is how it was:

The tang covers removed- look at the rot underneath them:

A few minutes later ( :yikes:):

Look at the workmanship on the pins on both the scales as well as the MOP tang covers- spectacular!

Mark put a very serviceable edge on it when he was done but I did a little more work on it then showed it some horse hide: a fantastic shaver as well as a looker.

Brian

That face sure looks like a frumpy weatherman ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Phlash

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
Hi Brian,

Can you please tell who you used for the restore?  I have a couple I'd like to have done and that looks awesome. . Thanks.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
Yep, the man's name is Mark Yundt and his website is here: http://www.exquisiteblade.com/

Not only a great craftsman but a nice guy too.

By the way, that blade shaved the good Reverend at the COG National rally this month. It was the first time for both of us (him getting shaved with a straight razor, mine the first time shaving anyone else). It went pretty well I think- no cuts or nicks and only three weepers. Rev has a beard like steel wool but that blade eventually chopped all the way through it. We both lived, had a few laughs (interspersed the shave with The Cat Joke (TM)) and raised almost $700 for the Over The Pond fund. All in all, a great evening IMO.

Brian

Brian

Hi Brian,

Can you please tell who you used for the restore?  I have a couple I'd like to have done and that looks awesome. . Thanks.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »
Looks nice!!  I picked up three blades at a little gas station in Christmas Valley, OR.  1 really rough, 2 kinda OK.  Plan on doing the restore myself.  I also scored an old coffee grinder on the trip, started roasting my own beans.  Awesome coffee, consumed after a shave :o