Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 6369 times)

Offline toon

Suggestions
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
Looking for suggestions. I have owned my 88 connie for 6 years and have not had to do a thing other than regular maintenance. 50k miles in those 6 years. Love the bike. Now I am doing my first major work on the bike and wanted to make sure I was covering most of the problem areas and doing the right upgrades. I thought I had a head gasket leak but after researching I can not find mention of one going bad. So I am going with the thermostat pipes leaking on the head gasket. I will check compression before putting it all back together.

This is what I have done or am planning to do.

New water pump (Old one was leaking and I did not want to spend the time to rebuild)
Carbs sent to Steve
Exhaust sprocket
new carb boots
airbox repair/prevention
stick coils ordered
thinking about closing off the ports on top of the valve covers (will research this more)
New hoses and O rings in cooling system
new thermostat
new fan and fan switch
new clutch

So what else would be reasonable to do at this time. I do not want to tear it down again for another 5-10 years.

Thanks
Toon

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
assuming you just failed to note valve adjust?

Offline toon

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
Yup. Just had that done.
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline works4me

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
What's wrong with your clutch?

Offline toon

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »
Clutch was original with single spring. the tabs broke, causing the clutch to slip with hard acceleration. Found one of the tabs in between the plates.
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
Clutch was original with single spring. the tabs broke, causing the clutch to slip with hard acceleration. Found one of the tabs in between the plates.

I think I would just replace the spring with the new double spring.  The disks are probably fine - just inspect them and replace if necessary unless you feel you just want to replace them.

As for fan - does it run?  If so, no need to replace it.  As for O-rings, replace the ones on the front and rear cooling "logs" and the two on the thermostat.  If the front aren't leaking, you may just want to leave them alone as they are somewhat hard to get to with out removing the radiator and header.  It is also a great time to replace that stubby little cooling hose at the bottom of the radiator too.  You can get an inexpensive Stant thermostat that fits a 1983 Honda Accord (it's just as good or better than OEM) just go to your local car parts store.  If it doesn't have the tiny bypass hole in it, just drill a small 1/16" hole in it.  Helps to burb it and lessen the temp swings each time the thermo opens.

Look up Snarf (I think it was) to see if he has any block-off plates left for the valve cover.  His kit also comes with the plug for the air box hole.

While you're at it, look up SISFs modification to add an extra ground wire to the igniter - makes for easier starts.

While you have the carbs out, it's also a great time to replace both cables and fuel line.  Save the old ones for back-ups.

Man, this stuff just snowballs.....
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
   Murphs' has block off plates.

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=518
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline toon

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ordered the block off plates. Clutch was done a while ago. I ran it with the tab broke for some time. thought it was the slave cylinder. It would engage just fine unless the right hand twisted too much. By the time i smartened up enough to come on here for answers it was toast. I had also done the wire to the igniter previously.

Thanks
Toon 
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline toon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »
compression
1. 180
2. 160
3  145
4.  180

think this is ok?  Installing exhaust sprocket today. will check valves and recheck compression.
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »
compression
1. 180
2. 160
3  145
4.  180

Well the usable range is considered 128 to 196 so yeah your still in the ballpark. But I'd be concerned with why both 2 & 3 are lower than the rest, namely # 3 you could have a bent rod at the worst or just worn rings. Retest your compression with a well charged battery and either with the carbs pinned open (or removed) retest... The pour a teaspoon of light oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder one at a time and retest to see if the compression comes up. If it does you have worn rings. You could have valves that are no longer sealing well to. This was common on the early 86 models with tulipping of the valve stems.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jim __

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
Wouldn't hurt to clean and lube the steering head and swing arm bearing.

Offline toon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »
Update
Did most of what was suggested, Coils, carbs, exhaust sprocket, block off plates, tank quick release (wish I had bought these 5 years ago), and some other stuff I can't remember. Got it all together on a friday, and by my screw up, chased a fuel leak (tried to put a filter in the line) until Wed. Left Saturday morning on a 5 day 1800 mile adventure 4 others. Experienced the Tail, Foothills parkway, great Smoky Mt Nat Park, Nashville TN, and Ashville NC.
Bike impressions
Tons of low end torque. I was even able to start out in 6th (forgot to shift at a light :o) Can roll on the throttle in 6th at 25-30 ( I know NOT RECOMMENDED) with out any bucking and snorting.
I had thought the bike accelerated fast before, Now it is much faster and responsive.
lost 2-3 MPG or more if I run it hard.
I was happy with the bike before and now even more so. Thanks Steve, Tcro, and every one for for the suggestions.

Toon

88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:01 AM »
  Nice ain't it!!  I have had mine for 22 yrs and thanks to the Forum Members that come up with better parts and upgrades that make the C10 even better. I'm really happy with my C10 Concours!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Have you thought about buying a C14?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 05:07:23 AM »
Have you thought about buying a C14?

Doesn't everyone with a C10?  Wait, mines been paid for a long time now.  Insurance is just $87 per year and taxes are now waived.  But yeah, we think about it.  My fun money is currently being diverted to my Jeep.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 06:02:42 AM »
Something to consider before putting a lot of work into something.  They really are coming down in price.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »
Oh I've been watching.  Looks like you can now find some for right at $6k or less for something pretty nice.  However, its so easy to sink thousands into a Jeep.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 06:15:29 AM »
A Tacoma as well...

Offline toon

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
No C14 for me. If I decide to change bikes, I will move to adventure touring. I like the KTM Adventure, Super tenere and the Africa twin. As to putting work and $$$ in to something, total $ was 1000 ish and my time. Now I have a bike I am happier about to ride for another 50-100k. I know the bike inside and out and it fits me perfectly. If I were to spend $$$$ on a C14 I would need to do some fit customizing ($$$) as I am not the average size rider. It took a couple of years to get the C10 right.
88 connie (rear ended)
12 Ural, 16 KLR
09 Connie