Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 1099 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Thanksgiving
« on: November 24, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

We make 2 turkeys here. Lunch and dinner! Yup, we go big here with lots of family and friends to feed. Dinner is what gives us diabetes. And we leave that for the young with high metabolism.

Anyway, I have had my turkey. Now I am looking to spend money.

Any deals? What are you guys buying? I will buy the 1.99 hulu deal. But that's all I see.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving for yesterday y'all.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »
I recorded the football game earlier. I’ll watch it later tonight... Was it good... did we win?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 04:19:19 AM »
It was the best of both worlds.  I'm fine with either side winning.  But in this case neither side won, it was a draw...nil-nil.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 04:55:06 AM »
Sorry, not a follower of Footyawn/Sucker. ;-)
I follow some motorsport (MotoGP, WSB, F1, WRC, NHRA) and am a Chicago Bears fan for my sins.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 03:37:54 PM »
I much prefer to watch women kicking a ball around...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 05:36:20 AM »
I much prefer to never see any sports at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 08:03:55 AM »
"I much prefer to watch women...."

There, fixed that for ya..... to get a slap from Mrs VirginiaJim <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
Women sports are actually quite good if people would give them a chance. I normally don't watch much soccer but my niece plays that and hockey so I sit and watch these with her.

I was pleasantly surprised to see US soccer hold so well against a soccer goliath like the UK team!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 02:27:39 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised to see US soccer hold so well against a soccer goliath like the UK team!
I wasn't surprised at all. The USA has been throwing money at Soccer for years now and it's starting to pay off.
I was put off most sports by our school sports teachers. If you were male then you had to play Soccer and/or Rugby, if female then Tennis and/or Netball.
I kinda enjoyed Rugby but outside of school I got into Ice Hockey and MotoCross (125 & 250). In later years we also formed an American Football team at my school and on one occasion beat a DOD School team, which surprised the **** out of them and us. <LOL>

In most of the sports I do follow, whenever there is female participation I cheer them on (Ana Carrasco, Susie Woolf, Sabine Schmitz, Michelle Mouton, The Simmonite sisters, etc.) but at the extremes of most sports women struggle to compete with men due to the Testosterone advantage.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 06:42:48 AM »
but at the extremes of most sports women struggle to compete with men due to the Testosterone advantage.

It isn't just testosterone.  Given to women, it will not give them the size, reach, lung capacity, bone density, or spacial advantages of men (of course, it will improve muscle mass a lot).  The elite US women's National Soccer team team was easily beaten by a local boy's team (14 years old and younger) in an exhibition game in 2017.  I guess one could argue the women were not going all-out in the game, but there are many other more serious examples.  I believe women do have a natural sports advantage of endurance, however.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 11:59:40 AM »
There may be some truth to women and endurance sports. My then girlfriend in high school got me out of the gym, (partly out of football) and into track and field. She was a runner and she was extraordinary. She could run forever. Now As a mom of 4 she doesn’t run much, but I am sure if she started back up she would be great. I’ll always be grateful to her for getting me into this one sport that is superior to every other sport and exercise in the world. Running. The older I get the more benefits I seem to be reaping from a life time of running. Forget the bodybuilding gym rats or the 300lb fat football players. They have nothing on lean runners, swimmers, cyclists, skiiers, etc.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
this one sport that is superior to every other sport and exercise in the world. Running. The older I get the more benefits I seem to be reaping from a life time of running. Forget the bodybuilding gym rats or the 300lb fat football players. They have nothing on lean runners, swimmers, cyclists, skiiers, etc.

Humans have a pretty remarkable ability to run with endurance.  We kinda evolved that way.  In fact, although most animals can EASILY outrun humans in the short run, hunters can run so long they could exhaust many animals and just take them for food (especially if the animal was initially injured with a simple weapon, first).  This is enhanced because humans can sweat- cooling the body for long periods.

Which brings up the human/cat/dog thing....  cats have physiology closer to humans [than dogs] in many ways, but in some ways they are very different.  One is that they have tons and tons of fast-twitch muscle.  So they have incredible explosive speed, strength, and energy, far exceeding humans and dogs.  But the price is they exhaust quickly and have to rest.  Dogs are slower but can keep it up a long time.  Humans are even slower and can keep it up even longer.  So the hunting styles end up being-  cat: mostly solitude  ambush/explosive, dog: mostly pack with outlasting, human: pack or solitude ambush with tools then outlasting.

Anyway, running has tons of benefits from muscle-building to aerobic exercise that builds heart and lungs.  The down side is that it can put a lot of wear on the knees and other joints...  some say jogging is even worse.  Fast walking seems to be recommended as the "ideal" exercise, especially if combined with arm weights.  Not as aerobic as running, but less stress on the joints.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 09:49:34 AM »
Women do quite well in the shooting sports against men, it's much more mental but when I set my things down on the firing line there was no distinction between men and women, we were all shooters, and they cleaned up in a few matches.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »
I used to think this as well. A few years ago I went to the doctor for my plantar fasciitis that had gotten worse that year. I asked what other damages I may be doing to my body with my runs. Surprisingly enough the doctor quoted me new Research showing that running does not damage the knee or other joints as previously thought. Rather it is beneficial! I think it's counter intuitive but the research seems to show that running has a protective effect on your knees and hips. I was as surprised as you might be hearing this. Knee damage from running has to do with other bio mechanical issues and pre-existing bone problems rather than the run itself. At least that’s what my doctor told me.

The down side is that it can put a lot of wear on the knees and other joints...  some say jogging is even worse.  Fast walking seems to be recommended as the "ideal" exercise, especially if combined with arm weights.  Not as aerobic as running, but less stress on the joints.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 11:40:29 AM »
Dr. George Sheehan (sp?) has written several books about health and running.  He seems to think most knee and hip issues are from improper foot strike.  He was a big proponent of orthotics to fix knee and hip issues.  If you haven't already read him, I highly recommend his books.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 05:27:35 PM »
The human foot and other parts didn't really evolve to run (or even jog/walk) on endless hard-as-a-rock surfaces.  So yeah, shoe fit/type/style/tech could probably made a huge difference in reducing shock, distributing loads correctly, and preventing injury.  Of course, I would think part of that would be energy absorption, like soil/gravel/grass/sand would do, and that could HURT overall running performance (which wouldn't matter in non-competitive running).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
I have a pair of running shoes.  However, I only use them from the couch to the fridge and back again.  They work great!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 09:56:47 PM »
I have a pair of tennis shoes, but don't play tennis.
I have a pair of sneakers, but am not sneaky.

I don't have a pair of loafers... but....