Author Topic: Waving to other motorcycles  (Read 24873 times)

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Waving to other motorcycles
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
When I have my 13 y/o daughter riding with me, she waves at everybody... and I mean WAVES  :hail:  It is so funny watching those "I ain't goin to wave at that jap bike!" guys when they see her waving at them... her all dressed up in aggressive pink!  :rotflmao:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
I will always return a wave or head nod.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
I usually wave unless I need both hands at the moment. I rode the Cherohala Skyway a couple of weeks ago and almost everyone waved except BMW riders (almost none) and any Harley rider who had tassels on his handlebars. (Do the tassels mean they still need both hands all the time?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
I wave all the time. If they wave back, cool, if not, that is cool too. It is their issue, not mine. I just make sure I'm not the dick. ;)
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline eddiememphis

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
I used to wave, just a left hand straight up an inch or so off the grip. Most of the responses tended to be strangled. I think they are confused. I ride a red BMW 650 with knobby tires. I wear a yellow helmet and black jacket and brown pants and EMT boots.

Since I don't have a "real" BMW, the Beemer crowd is confused. Cruiser guys usually give the down low wave but I'm not sure if they are flicking their butts or stretching or waving, since they rarely make eye contact. Big tourers wave or adjust the XM antenna, I can't tell. Connies, STs, FJRs- that crowd are the constant wavers. They also are the ones that will turn around and ask if I am okay when really I'm waiting for traffic to thin so I can pee. Or take a picture. Or both.

And of course, women riders wave at everyone.

There is also confusion since I don't wear "the uniform". No one piece Aerostich. No chaps and vest. I'm poor. And cheap. A lethal combination. I wear what I have and spend my money on important things. Like whores and cocaine.

The only riders that see me, and get it, are my fellow CARs*, the KLR guys. They smile and wave enthusiastically.

These days, I care less about other riders waving and more about awful traffic so I do the turn and nod.  But I will return a wave if I get one.

*CAR- cheapass rider

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »
I wave all the time. If they wave back, cool, if not, that is cool too. It is their issue, not mine. I just make sure I'm not the dick. ;)

+1   It's their problem if they don't wave back, not mine.
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »
I wave at everyone too!  I really like when you wave at a scooter, and they wave back.

I will say that when I ride my Yamaha (HD look alike)  I get alot more cruiser wave firsts, and when on the C-10, more sport bike wave firsts.

I always point at other Connies....  C-10 and C-14(althought I don't spot those as early).  I also will ussualy slow down for C-10's  too.  I even wave to C-10s when I am standing outside, or in my cage....

I guess I am just wierd  :o
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
I come from a part of the country where everybody waves at everybody. And I mean EVERYBODY! 2 wheels, 4 wheels, tractors. It don't matter. You just wave. You probably know half of them anyways.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 10:09:12 AM »
I pretty much wave at everybody. The HD crowd when in groups (3 or more bikes) seem the least likely to return the wave.

Having met, talked to and hung out with a lot of the HD crowd recently at Bike Nights at a local restaurant, I'd have to say that a very large proportion of them are not really bikers. They show up to be the center of attention courtesy of the latest piece of chrome/loudest pipe/custom paint, and the stories you hear are rarely about actually RIDING someplace.

They drink several large beers, start up their obnoxiously loud sickles and then totter on their way the 5 or 10 miles home. Rarely more than that. Distance for them is home to nearest tavern and back, with maybe another tavern thrown in. The GF or wife on the back is usually wearing stilletto heels and a tank top. Not exaggerating.

YoDoc

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
I'm really sorry that you guys have had all these poor experiences with Harley riders. When I did own one, I hung around with the HOG group at the stealership. We went on rides every single sunday. Usually a hundred miles or so, round trip, sometimes more. Rain, Cold, Heat, didn't matter, we were out riding, and certainly more than 5 or 10 miles to the local brew. You know, those RUBs and FWRs and PubCrawlers ride all kinds of stuff.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
If I notice another bike and am able to do so I acknowledge them.  Be it a wave, pointing my left fingers up or a head nod.  I have done this on BMW's, a pan head hard tail (from the time I got that bike I was looking to sell it  :) ) Jap bikes etc.  There are a lot of riders around that think another bike is not worthy but I couldn't care less about any of that.  I once rode from Bradenton Florida to North Eastern Ohio for the 18th annual Sly Fox beast roast in a short weekend with a guy who had nearly no experience and was riding a hondamatic 400 with what I think were original chen shin tires throwing rubber the whole way.  Good times, good times.
T.S.R.

YoDoc

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
If I notice another bike and am able to do so I acknowledge them.  Be it a wave, pointing my left fingers up or a head nod.  I have done this on BMW's, a pan head hard tail (from the time I got that bike I was looking to sell it  :) ) Jap bikes etc.  There are a lot of riders around that think another bike is not worthy but I couldn't care less about any of that.  I once rode from Bradenton Florida to North Eastern Ohio for the 18th annual Sly Fox beast roast in a short weekend with a guy who had nearly no experience and was riding a hondamatic 400 with what I think were original chen shin tires throwing rubber the whole way.  Good times, good times.

Why were you in Bradenton?

Offline GMan

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »
I always return a wave from anyone--if I see it in time!  I don't know if I zone-out more these days or if I'm just really focused on the road ahead, but it's not uncommon that I find myself going past riders and catching their wave out of the corner of my eye after it's too late.  I'm always curious what they think my motive was for not waving...

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
I used to not wave at scooters, but now I wave at everybody on less than 4 wheels no matter what because the hell with them.  It's become a principle thing for me.  I told the SO that her two jobs are to whack me every time the speed limit changes and wave at all oncoming motorcycles.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »
I wave sometimes. I always return a wave if there is time. .... Harleys never wave at metric bikes, but after they pass me I notice they will wave at other Harleys.
Living in the state of Harley's home, I don't get many waves back but I do initiate when possible.

Less waves from men, 30-40, wearing only sunglasses for a windshield, no helmet.  Some H-D cruisers will wave, fewer initiate.

I always return a wave from anyone--if I see it in time!  I don't know if I zone-out more these days or if I'm just really focused on the road ahead, but it's not uncommon that I find myself going past riders and catching their wave out of the corner of my eye after it's too late.  I'm always curious what they think my motive was for not waving...
Road construction zones are where I usually don't wave as I try to follow lane changes.  But I wonder the same thing about unreturned 'waves'.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:17 AM »
To wave or not to wave...

I'm taking the back roads on the way home yesterday. Not a car in sight and I'm enjoying my ride, doing about 70 on a 2 lane through farmland. Up ahead I see a bike heading in the same direction and I'm catching up to him quickly. As I get closer I see that it's a pirate on an HD. He sees me in his rearview, downshifts and I hear him nail it. I drop down 2 gears and I nail it myself, blowing past him like he's standing still. I get back over into the right lane and check him out in the mirrors, dropping back pretty quickly.

Should I have waved at him?     8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »
I wave almost always to any other motorcycle. On my Suzuki DR650 I get about 30% of the HD types to wave back. On my C14 about 50%, if I'm using my highway pegs about 70%. When I had my Valkyrie it was about 90%.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Oh and the comment I read about the rear end of a group waving more often then the lead is absolutely true.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
When I ride I try to wave at every motorcycle I see on the road. I have made this a part of my rides, it is my personal form of entertainment during my rides. I have noticed that not everyone returns the wave. When I wave I make a loose fist and point with 2 fingers towards the oncoming riders front wheel. I also noticed have that there are several forms of return waves, some just raise their fingers without ever removing their hand from the handlebar, some wave straight out to the side, some raise a hand up, some do like me and put their hand down and out...most interesting is the people hwo refuse to return the wave...this amuses me the most. I have noticed that if it is a large pack of Harleys that the leader (probably the alpha of the pack) will seldom wave, but the last in line most likely will (probably hopes that none in front of him notice). The most perplexing for me is when passing a large group of riders, do I do a wave for each rider...I finally adopted the technique of one long continuous wave till they are all past me...I live in the Pacific Northwest and I was able to ride most of the winter and spring and during the cold weather riding I noticed that everyone regardless of M/C type returned my waves...interesting, I guess the snobs are a bunch of candya** fairweather riders. I am curious to know how others feel about this topic, and your experiences???

Must be a PNW thing, as this exactly matches my observations as well.  I return waves to anyone / everyone, even scooters (it's getting harder to ID them from the oncoming profile).

I initiate a wave at all 2 & 3 wheelers, except HD riders, unless they wave first.  Too many of them are stuck up, and ruin it for the rest of them.

The other snob group I have noticed are LEO's.  They wave at each other, but rarely wave back to me.  Once, one initiated a wave (going other direction), but given the double take he did, I think he thought I was a LEO too.  I waved back anyway. :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
To wave or not to wave...

I'm taking the back roads on the way home yesterday. Not a car in sight and I'm enjoying my ride, doing about 70 on a 2 lane through farmland. Up ahead I see a bike heading in the same direction and I'm catching up to him quickly. As I get closer I see that it's a pirate on an HD. He sees me in his rearview, downshifts and I hear him nail it. I drop down 2 gears and I nail it myself, blowing past him like he's standing still. I get back over into the right lane and check him out in the mirrors, dropping back pretty quickly.

Should I have waved at him?     8)

Of course you should have waved, but in a condescending way to indicate how funny you thought it was that he would downshift and accelerate for you to make the pass interesting.   ;D

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250