Author Topic: Spray on Bedliner  (Read 4818 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Spray on Bedliner
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
I am having some peices of my bike powdercoated and want to save some money on the smaller less seen peices.  For those of you have used the bedliner, what brands and where did you buy it?  DO they have different colors?  And how smooth was the finish?   

Thanks

(Frank I know you suggested this, but I can't remember where you bought it and what you used)

Offline anycleavers

Re: Spray on Bedliner
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
I sprayed the inside of my 'shorty' windshield I made. It's tougher than I thought it would be. I didn't see any color besides black at the Menards I found it at, but that doesn't mean there isn't.   It has a rough textured look and feel to it. I also used it to spray a piece of metal stock when I relocated the helmet locks. I kinda like it.
Warning, it comes out of the rattle can fast, so keep it moving and many light coats are a good idea or you will get runs.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
I have a Linex on my truck -- it is absolutely indestructible and I think it would be perfect for everything on the underside of a motorcycle.

My bumper had gotten a lot of minor dings in the paint (painted bumpers -- what a stupid idea) and I decided to use the spray-can stuff you can buy at home depot or an auto parts store to coat the bumper. It worked fine and looks good but it is NO where near as bullet-proof as the professional stuff.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
There was a guy on the ZRXOA site that painted his entire ZX-11 whit the stuff. I thought he was out of his mind....................until I saw it. Talk about a stealthy bad arse looking machine. He'd wash it with soap, water and a soft nylon brush :rotflmao:  no more stone chips or scratches from stuff.

Sorry. No Hy-jack intended.  ;D
FYI. He had an auto garage that does the "Rino" stuff do it. Tough as nails.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I've used a pretty good amount of this stuff over the years. I think it's duracoat or something like that, autozone or advanced has it. My 4runner had the bumpers, wheel skirts and lower panels all done with it; also I used it on the fork legs and some bits on the voyager. Clean and rough the surface, and spray it on thin. Good to go. touches up really easily, too. I'm doing a rat bike zg1000 for one of my kids that's getting a bedliner paint job on it. HTH, steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
There used to be a guy on here that painted his C-10 with bed liner. Stealthconnie was his name I think.
I just repainted the saddlebags on my 86. I used bed liner from Menards. I will have to look at the empty cans for the brand. It looks awesome, just take your time and as mentioned above multiple light coats is the key. You make a mistake with this stuff your going to wear out your shoulders and elbows sanding it down.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
Hey Snarf, that's an interesting idea with the bags. Mine are getting old, faded and scuffed.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline bouts

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »
That IS an interesting idea for the bags.  Mine are getting/were scratched and scuffed when I bought the bike.  This might be an easy, inexpensive way to save the look, and maybe even "improve" the look of the bags.  Or maybe I can just save up and buy some Shad bags??!!  But I haved to admit, I like the idea of the liner on the bags.

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 01:44:12 PM »
I sprayed my KLR with the stuff. I used Duplicolor I think. It was $7 a can and it took 3 cans because I put lots of coats on. The only color that I have found is black, and the texture it rough. I like it because you cannot scratch it and it is more durable than paint.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »
Millerized had a KLR that was completely covered in a puke green colored Bed liner, so I know it comes in colors, just have to look...

you didn't want to rub your leg up against that puppy, it was like a rasp, and would remove flesh... ;D

this stuff works nice also on flexible stuff
http://www.plasti-kote.com/plastikote/products/Specialty/Bumper-Paint.html

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »
(Frank I know you suggested this, but I can't remember where you bought it and what you used)

I have a quart of Rhino liner I can spray on if thinned.  That's what I think Stealth Connie on did on his bike, but the bike is no more.  The aerosol I use is from wally world.  It is Rusto-leum brand spray on bed liner.  Seems to be tough so far.  It said it is oil resistant if I remember correctly.  Check Tractor Supply near you, they may have some nice items on the shelf.  I know they carry fuel resistant spray cans in a variety of colors.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:59 AM »
If you dont want a real heavy texture maybe you could use Krylon hammered metal spray paint.  It leaves a real nice uniform texture. It hides scuffs decent and it come in a variety of colors. 
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline medicevans

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
I used Rustoleom spray on bed liner on my bags and they look great.  Almost like new.  I'm thinking about spraying the rest of the bike with it this winter if it doesn't sell, just go all the way with the rat look.