Author Topic: Heated gear for feet  (Read 3956 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Heated gear for feet
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
So my wife and I are currently using WarmGear heated socks for cold weather riding. They work fine but are basically a length of wire 'sewn' into the outer threads of a heavy sock which generates a quirk: after a while, the wires move and loops of wire end up sticking out of the sock. In addition to the obvious problem that that is uncomfortable, there is the other effect that when two wires loop next to or on top of each other they will burn the skin. While that does have some mile amusement value, it is pretty annoying. My wife can work the wires back into the sock and eliminate the loops but it only lasts for a while until the wires slip out of place again.

So, anybody have a better solution for heated gear for feet? The newer snap- closure style WarmGear socks apparently only use 9 watts of power which does not seem like enough seeing as the type I have is rated at 27 watts and do not produce too much heat when it is really cold out. The sole inserts from various companies also appear to have low wattage and heat output and have generated a lot of complaints. Anyone know of something that works well and lasts a while?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Heated gear for feet
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
Just a different viewpoint, how about more insulation, through bigger boot/more socks and/or insulated boots, then the sole heaters might be enough to get it done. When I lived in the tundra(MN), I had some boots, that with two pair off socks, would keep my feet warm all day in -30 weather. No electrics, just on my feet most of the day moving about.

Good Luck.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
I've been using the Gerbings heated insoles for a couple of years now, works well for me.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline gnuse

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
I've been using the Gerbings heated insoles for a couple of years now, works well for me.
Same here. They work well and don't seem to interfere like the socks did.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
Dry feet usually mean warm feet, I had tried several types of the heated socks, took me a few years to learn that they only make em (feet) sweat so I started buying Thorlo socks, boot weight.  What I do when I'm hunting is once my feet start to get cold, I change socks, also helps keep blisters down.  I think the heated soles will be good.  I also use hand warmers tucked inside my sock, above the ankle on the inside, a pair is good for about 8 hours.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »
Dry feet usually mean warm feet, I had tried several types of the heated socks, took me a few years to learn that they only make em (feet) sweat so I started buying Thorlo socks, boot weight.  What I do when I'm hunting is once my feet start to get cold, I change socks, also helps keep blisters down.  I think the heated soles will be good.  I also use hand warmers tucked inside my sock, above the ankle on the inside, a pair is good for about 8 hours.

+1 on Thorlo, I've been working the ones with the Cop and Post man on the package for the last 23 years...they are all i will wear when not in dress clothes.
Will

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the info.

The Gerbing insoles DO have a higher wattage rating than some others and may be sufficient to do the job. Now I wonder if there is enough room in my boots for both them and my feet.  :o

The heavier socks and boots idea is fine but unless I am on a long and direct purpose motorcycle trip I tend to wear gear that can be easily stripped off and or worn for long periods indoors. One of the nice things about heated gear is that it is light and external (mine is anyway) other than the socks so it all comes off when I go into a building; heavier socks and footwear would get uncomfortable after a while inside.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »

The Gerbing insoles DO have a higher wattage rating than some others and may be sufficient to do the job. Now I wonder if there is enough room in my boots for both them and my feet.  :o

The heavier socks and boots idea is fine but unless I am on a long and direct purpose motorcycle trip I tend to wear gear that can be easily stripped off and or worn for long periods indoors. One of the nice things about heated gear is that it is light and external (mine is anyway) other than the socks so it all comes off when I go into a building; heavier socks and footwear would get uncomfortable after a while inside.
Brian

Might be uncomfortable if you took them off too.

Offline gnuse

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »

Brian
My m/c boots all seem to have removable insoles. When I removed the original ones and put the Gerbings in, I found no change in foot room.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »
My m/c boots all seem to have removable insoles. When I removed the original ones and put the Gerbings in, I found no change in foot room.

+1
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline koval68

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
Grabber Warmers sold at Costco are inexpensive and work just fine.
http://www.warmers.com/default.aspx
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 07:35:49 AM »
Grabber Warmers sold at Costco are inexpensive and work just fine.
http://www.warmers.com/default.aspx

I may try these under the insole on my Sidi's up by the toes when it's really cold (15-22).  I'm fine above that, but my toes start to get a bit cold and I have to keep wiggling them.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
So my wife and I are currently using WarmGear heated socks for cold weather riding. They work fine but are basically a length of wire 'sewn' into the outer threads of a heavy sock which generates a quirk: after a while, the wires move and loops of wire end up sticking out of the sock. In addition to the obvious problem that that is uncomfortable, there is the other effect that when two wires loop next to or on top of each other they will burn the skin. While that does have some mile amusement value, it is pretty annoying. My wife can work the wires back into the sock and eliminate the loops but it only lasts for a while until the wires slip out of place again.

Just a thought out loud, if it isn't a pain. Could a "tie-down" piece of thread be sewn at a strategic location on the loops to keep them from shifting? Maybe contact the Warmgear suggesting that for production?
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
Thanks- now that I've looked, the insoles come out of my boots too (they probably did before I looked too). Great- the insoles might be a decent solution.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
I've given some thought to that but the ends of the loops would essentially have to be trapped or they will still bunch up and project out. Probably the best way would be to make socks out of two layers of material, sew the wires into spaces between rows of stitching and let the ends make the corner. I don't even know if that would work though because it is sort of what the mfg. did with the socks in the first place.

I can snap a photo later and post it so the problem is clearer.

Brian

Just a thought out loud, if it isn't a pain. Could a "tie-down" piece of thread be sewn at a strategic location on the loops to keep them from shifting? Maybe contact the Warmgear suggesting that for production?

Offline booger

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
I'm cheap.  I buy the Grabber warmers and put them in the bottom of my boots.  This, combined with boot weight wool socks, works just fine for our S. Tx. winters.

Every once in a while you will get a Grabber that will get hotter than most.  The darn things will almost blister the bottom of your foot if your not careful ;D