Author Topic: Tenere Clutch Wear  (Read 3099 times)

Offline SmokinRZ

Tenere Clutch Wear
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
Hello,

I purchased a Yamaha Tenere a few months back with 44K miles.  The bike upshifts just fine but the down shifts are a little notchy.  Every Yamaha I had in the past 45 years has been slick shifting.  I changed out the super clean looking oil that came in the bike with Rotella and no difference.  I bled the hydro clutch today with no difference.  I adjusted the lever for the longest throw and it seems maybe make a small difference, but then I really noticed the clutch was engaging way at the end of the travel.  No clutch slipping

I think maybe the clutch is worn and causing my down shift issue.  I get around it by rev matching but it just isn't what I've experienced with Yamaha in the past.  My buddy has the same bike with 20 K miles and it down shifts easy.  Before I pop for an OEM clutch kit (no aftermarket),  I just wanted to check the collective wisdom on this site which I value more than on other forum.  I'm on my third Concours in 16 years and the 08 is not going anywhere.

Thanks,
Smokin RZ                 
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Tenere Clutch Wear
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
My thoughts are that a worn clutch will not fully engage and slip. Notchy shifting I think is caused by a clutch not DISENGAGING fully usually due to a hyrdaulics problem. I'm no expert just my thoughts. AS for the downshifting problem, I had that once with my Concours. The problem turned out to be the shift rod adjustment. I had failed to tighten the lock nut and the rod had vibrated out of adjustment and was not getting enough action for a good downshift. Something to check if you have not already.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:14:49 PM »
Have you lubed the gear shift pivot?  When these dry out down shifts become tricky.  Just pop it off and pack with grease.  Some guys fit grease nipples.

Done my one twice in around 40,000km.
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 11:15:49 PM »
PS: it's a Yammie, it won't break ;)
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »
Have you lubed the gear shift pivot?  When these dry out down shifts become tricky.  Just pop it off and pack with grease.  Some guys fit grease nipples.

Done my one twice in around 40,000km.

Yes, forgot to mention that.  Shifter shaft cleaned and lubed.   My buddy had his stick so bad it quit shifting while we were in Utah.  For about 12 hours we though the trip was over until I put some motor oil on the shifter.   
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS