Author Topic: Freshly Baked Homemade Hitch  (Read 4399 times)

Offline donteatmyfood

• DONT PANIC
    • Dont Eat My Food
Freshly Baked Homemade Hitch
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
http://www.checkforspark.com/?p=177

All the hitches I was finding, even used, seemed too expensive when I had the resources to be able to make my own.  So I got fed up and bought some metal and hardware and made one myself.  I bolted to the antler stops with the big, thick bracket, drilled a hole in my antlers and tightened it down with lock nuts and a rubber washer for the antler.  Those bars are nice and thick and form the main part.  I drilled larger holes in the tabs with three threaded holes (I think they used to be the helmet lock mounts, those were moved up front by a PO who removed the lower fairing too) And bolted support bars to form a nice sturdy triangle.  Then I welded the square tube drop and its supports in.  I want to replace the support bars with adjustable turnbuckles and need to price out some with the right dimensions so I can adjust the height quickly and easily.  I was having trouble with it bottoming out on my brake caliper (especially 2 up) but adding air to the rear suspension helped prevent this where I have it located right now.

All of this so I can pull a small trailer with a couple of vintage mopeds on it to national rallies. :)  They weigh about 100 lbs apiece and total trailer weight with the mopeds will be 350 lbs.  This is about what I see other Connie owners hauling so it should be just fine.  Two wheels the whole time! 
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Freshly Baked Homemade Hitch
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Looks promising from what I can see. Make sure to give us some feed back.
Load the trailer with care. The last thing you want is to wag the dog in a motorcycle.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline donteatmyfood

• DONT PANIC
    • Dont Eat My Food
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »
Thanks!  I am assembling the trailer tonight and hope to do some dry runs with it on various local roads to get a feel and this weekend do a dress-rehearsal of sorts before the trip.  I know I have to load it tongue heavy to prevent wag and my tongue is just slightly higher than the hitch height, but I have a few ideas to correct this and make it level.  I cannot wait, I am excited to complete this and get it on the road!
Keep the shiny side up!

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »
If I read your description correctly, you used the antlers as a mounting point, drilling a hole through them.  I hope that works out well for you.  It may well.  I only caution as I believe I have heard of these antlers breaking.  They're not constructed from particularly great material.

*edit*
Upon further reading I think I now understand you to say that it's bolted sort of only through the antler down at the tab that the antler generally rests on to keep from flopping down against the wheel or whatever.  I guess your bolt sort of just passes through the antler at that point rather than using it for any real support.  I can't really say how strong that will be.  Good luck to you.  Sorry of I spoke hastily.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:55:59 PM by jworth »

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Oh I missed the antler part. If I didn't have the knowledge that I have I would say you were in good shape.
My antler broke were they mount to the rear frame. Not much meat back there. Keep an eye on those.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Robo3

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
Do you have any pictures of the hitch???

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 04:54:08 AM »
Since those posts were 9 years ago, they are not likely to be on the forum any more.
Good luck though  :)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK