Author Topic: Euphin' -- it's what keeps me sane...  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Euphin' -- it's what keeps me sane...
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »
Greetings, all...

I bought a leftover 2012 model with 1 mile on the clock about 5 weeks ago. Got a pretty good deal on it.

I'm a long-time rider, approaching 60 in a bit, but I would not characterize myself as having as many miles on the bike as there are on me.

Recently sold a Honda 919 (2003 model) and while I loved that bike, I just got tired of getting beat up by the wind all the time. I don't like to tinker too much, so I wanted my next bike with shaft drive, EFI (like the 919) and the other stuff that hopefully won't break.

No real long rides on the Kaw yet, apart from the one from the dealer (120 miles). Really, really love this bike. More power than I'll ever need (mindful of the breakin period, of course), and despite its heft, it is very smooth.

I've got a 30 inch inseam, so I'll be looking at whatever threads there are concerning lowering the bike by about an inch or so. That would help. And I see there's lots of other information as well, so I'll get to perusing.

Gotta dump these Battleaxe tires. They're crap.

By the way, I'm a musician. That's the Eupher part.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Euphin' -- it's what keeps me sane...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
Welcome! 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Does "Eupher" man you play euphonium?

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Does "Eupher" man you play euphonium?

We have a winnah!  :)

I retired from the Army as a euphoniumist, and I continue to practice and perform on it, along with bass trombone, tenor trombone, and tuba (if you hold a gun to my head).
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Eupher! :chugbeer:
Uh....pictures when you have a chance.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »
We have a winnah!  :)

I retired from the Army as a euphoniumist, and I continue to practice and perform on it, along with bass trombone, tenor trombone, and tuba (if you hold a gun to my head).

Son plays the same instruments (with the exception of the tuba).

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Eupher! :chugbeer:
Uh....pictures when you have a chance.

Post 'em here, or in the "Post your bike's pics here!" thread?
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
Son plays the same instruments (with the exception of the tuba).

It's kind of remarkable that you'd know the instrument's proper name. Most folks refer to the instrument as a "baritone", which is incorrect. I hope your son enjoys his experience. :)
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »
I know that this is not about bikes, but I am trying to learn something.   Am I correct that a Euphonium is a 3 valve instrument with the right hand working the valves, and a Baritone is a 4 valve?
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
I know that this is not about bikes, but I am trying to learn something.   Am I correct that a Euphonium is a 3 valve instrument with the right hand working the valves, and a Baritone is a 4 valve?

The difference between the two really has more to do with bore size (the euph is larger than the baritone) and the overall construction of the tubing. The euph's is more conical, meaning that the gradual flaring of the tubing begins after the valve set while the baritone's tubing is more cylindrical, like a trombone. The result is the euphonium has a richer, mellower sound and the baritone's sound is edgier and more trombone-like, though both instruments have valve sets with either 3 or 4 valves. The more professional euphoniums and baritones will both have a 4th valve on the side.

Photos of both are attached (sorry, Mods, I can't get to Photobucket due to firewalls).
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Leo

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
Thanks for helping me out.  I am a guitar player, everyone knows what they look like. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »

Welcome!   I also traded up from a 919 to a C14, three years ago.

You gotta love getting 50% more engine, from 919 to 1352 CCs.

Getting used to 690 lbs vs. 450 lbs isn't that bad.  It's like driving a big, smooth, comfortable, and very powerful Cadillac.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
Post 'em here, or in the "Post your bike's pics here!" thread?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=52.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »
It's kind of remarkable that you'd know the instrument's proper name. Most folks refer to the instrument as a "baritone", which is incorrect. I hope your son enjoys his experience. :)

I hope he does too! It's his chosen career and his degree is in trombone performance. He teaches music at a middle school and plays tenor trombone in the Parker CO Symphony. He played trombone all through school and only started playing euphonium as a senior in HS. I told him I liked the sound of the euphonium better and he told me euphonium literally means "good sound". But I never heard the term "eupher" until now.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »
Almost sounds like fightin words.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »
But maybe when "Canon" chose their name it was a typo and the really meant "Cannon".  ;)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »
I hope he does too! It's his chosen career and his degree is in trombone performance. He teaches music at a middle school and plays tenor trombone in the Parker CO Symphony. He played trombone all through school and only started playing euphonium as a senior in HS. I told him I liked the sound of the euphonium better and he told me euphonium literally means "good sound". But I never heard the term "eupher" until now.

Well, that's basically what we call ourselves when we're not drinkin' beer and raisin' hell. The word "euphonium" derives from the Greek word "euphonos" which means, yes, "pleasant sound." Sounds like your son is making a mark for himself, and that's a great thing. Making your living in music isn't easy. I've been playing both tenor and euph since 1968, and it's something I can't "not" do. About 10 years ago I began playing bass trombone; about 5 years ago the tuba. Low brass guys are the knuckledraggers in the ensemble, so hey, I'm used to the harassment.  :)

Back on track, though, regarding the C14 I have. I took some pictures this morning, but wasn't able to upload them to Photobucket as the internet was down at my house. Grrrr. I'll get to that hopefully tonight. It's a completely stock bike, no mods at all, but I'm seeing some talk about a radiator guard and I like the idea of those tank protectors.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Welcome!   I also traded up from a 919 to a C14, three years ago.

You gotta love getting 50% more engine, from 919 to 1352 CCs.

Getting used to 690 lbs vs. 450 lbs isn't that bad.  It's like driving a big, smooth, comfortable, and very powerful Cadillac.

I have to admit, getting on the C14 was a bit intimidating, especially with the saddlebags on. Great way to get a charley horse, swinging that leg over far enough to avoid kicking that bag! I've got not quite 500 miles on the bike (yeah, I know, peanuts in 5 weeks' time  :-[ ) and I'm getting used to it. I reeaaaaally could use another inch of leg, or at least lower the bike a bit and it'll be mo betta.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
Almost sounds like fightin words.

lol - sometimes it sounds like it too.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90