Author Topic: Another Oil thread...  (Read 16423 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Another Oil thread...
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
I race outboard boats and visit a website from the Texas / La area ( Byuboyz,com ) most of their racers work in the oil indusrty in one way or another, One of the guys that works in the packaging dept of a very large  oil refinery said they package MOST brands there just different packaging , same oil, except for Rotella , then about a year year and a half ago he said they changed the formula for Rotella and he said be AFRAID , VERY AFRAID he did not explain? I own Eleven  Diesels and I always use straight weight Rotella oil, I was told a long time ago straight weight will not break down as quick, plus it never gets below 32 degrees here , Naples Fl. I take that back I do used Mobil 1 truck oil in my Cummins diesel , bike and car, I like wasting my money on oil, one of my bad habits ::)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
You should have listened to Pokey and Jim.... ::) ;)

But that's so hard to do.  :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline booger

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
It took me many years to come to this conclusion.  I run whatever brand of oil the dealer I bought the vehicle from recommends, whether motorcycles or cars.

I have the dealer to do all my maintenance, including change the oil.  And I use their filter.  I am more than capable of doing my own maintenance.  However, I also can afford for the dealer to do it for me.  Crap, I even let them change the wiper blades!!!   So I let them screw  me.  But it puts the liability on them.

Had a water pump go out at 42K miles on my Jeep Rubicon, just out of warranty.  Dealer pulled the pump and started running on my ass about how corroded it was.  Interestingy enough, they had flushed the engine and radiator and changed the antifreeze out at 36K miles.  They ate the bill.

Same with brakes on my Honda CRV.  Master cylinder went out just months after they had "flushed" the brake lines.  They at the bill.

Clutch went out on my Suzuki Hayabusa (still in warranty).  Shop manager was asking what kind of oil I used to tear the plates up.  Told him I had no frigging idea as he had done 100% of the maintenance work and obviously used a crappy oil, if that's what caused the problem.  New clutch at no cost.

VW replaced a motor in my 2001 Jetta VR6 when it was 40000 miles out of warranty. Same scenario.  All of the maintenance was done by them, at their recommended schedule, etc. (this one took a little time to pull off_

Offline Fretka

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
The very best shifting I have ever experienced is my 2006 Ducati 999R. Different brands of oil make no difference in shifting quality.
What do y'all think that could be? (hint: a traditional Ducati feature).
So.... if what I'm getting at here is true, then maybe that explains part of the reason some oils work better than others in our C-14 as regards to shifting feel.
(it's no fun if I just come out and say it).

NeFretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:26 AM »
aggressive shifting at high rpm  8)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 07:26:32 AM »
The very best shifting I have ever experienced is my 2006 Ducati 999R. Different brands of oil make no difference in shifting quality.
What do y'all think that could be? (hint: a traditional Ducati feature).
So.... if what I'm getting at here is true, then maybe that explains part of the reason some oils work better than others in our C-14 as regards to shifting feel.
(it's no fun if I just come out and say it).

NeFretka
DRY CLUTCH. What I have been saying all along. Something about the old oil makes the wet cluctches drag.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
Yeah, I have noticed this too but didn't want to say anything because it makes an uncertain issue even more uncertain. Sometimes changing the oil makes the box shift like glass while at other times, using the identical oil, the bike shifts very well but not quite as smooth. Maybe it has something to do with the oil level? Maybe it depends on how quickly the new oil works its way into the spaces where the old oil is still hanging- the transmission is not force- lubed like the engine itself and so it could take a while for new oil to work around into all the spaces between the sliding parts.

Then there are a million other variables- sometimes when the oil is changed it is warmer than other days. Sometimes the bike runs longer before riding than other times. In the end there are just too many interactions to ever know what is really going on. I content myself with the fact that the major difference is still the specific oil and leave it at that. T6 always causes the bike to shift lousy while Pennzoil always leaves the bike shifting great and I ignore the much smaller variations with each one.

Brian

Totally agree with this.  After hearing from Pokey and Jim about how bad Amsoil worked for them, and knowing how well it has worked in my previous bikes, I tried some in my C14.  It worked great w/ very smooth shifting right to the end, even though I left it in a little too long (7,654 miles), as I was waiting to do the valve adjustment before changing it.

After the valve adjust, I changed the oil and used the same exact oil from the same exact case as the first batch, and after the first couple hundred miles, very notchy shifting.   :banghead:

So WTH?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cuda

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Getting OFF track about the dealer can do it all...
Last year year I took my Ram truck to the dealer for the power steering pump , they called me , yeah you need a new pump  they were going to put in a new and improved model
$ 1,700. I asked did someone slip up and add a zero, no he said I'll give you a DEAL and not charge you tax, what a swell guy , I bought a rebuilt one for $50.00 and installed it in a hour.   :o
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Damaged Goods

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »
Just did an oil change at 8500 miles, so bike is still has low miles. I've had this one for two months now and have put over 5000 miles on the bike. I used Mobil 1 Syn. and I have noticed a huge difference in shifting. It's as easy going as with a clutch when at the right RPM's. It's a 15,000 mile oil, although I don't believe that I will go that far. I will keep an eye on the sight glass as the miles go and when it looks dirty I will change the oil then and make sure that it's not guming up. Does anyone else use a synthetic oil, and what is your experience with it?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:45 AM »
Just did an oil change at 8500 miles, so bike is still has low miles. I've had this one for two months now and have put over 5000 miles on the bike. I used Mobil 1 Syn. and I have noticed a huge difference in shifting. It's as easy going as with a clutch when at the right RPM's. It's a 15,000 mile oil, although I don't believe that I will go that far. I will keep an eye on the sight glass as the miles go and when it looks dirty I will change the oil then and make sure that it's not gumming up. Does anyone else use a synthetic oil, and what is your experience with it?

Yes Mobil 1 Synthetic is claimed to be a 15,000 mile oil in cars but please don't expect it to last quite that long in a bike as the tranny and clutch share the same oil with the motor and that is simply not the case with car motors. The sight glass is meant for keeping an eye on the level only: oil is full of detergents that are designed to keep the inside of your motor clean so the oil is SUPPOSED to look dirty. Change your filter according the manual or sooner and pick an interval that coincides with filter change to do an oil change or whenever it makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you will not likely find any evidence of gumming unless to are grossly abusing the engine and/or oil.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Damaged Goods

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
Yes Mobil 1 Synthetic is claimed to be a 15,000 mile oil in cars but please don't expect it to last quite that long in a bike as the tranny and clutch share the same oil with the motor and that is simply not the case with car motors. The sight glass is meant for keeping an eye on the level only: oil is full of detergents that are designed to keep the inside of your motor clean so the oil is SUPPOSED to look dirty. Change your filter according the manual or sooner and pick an interval that coincides with filter change to do an oil change or whenever it makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you will not likely find any evidence of gumming unless to are grossly abusing the engine and/or oil.
Thanks for the input Admin. . I also forgot to mention that it is a 15w-50, any pro's or con's to this. I'm thinking I may get 5-8k miles on an oil change, as you said I will have to keep an eye on the sight glass and make a decision as to a good interval to make oil changes. Thanks for any input.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
I've used 10w40 Mobil1 MC oil and it worked well, but expensive.   I change my oil and filter at 5k regardless of the type or what it's spec'd at.  T is right, I wouldn't go beyond the spec on the change interval for the bike which is 7500 miles, I think.  That 15k spec is for autos.  It's not on the MC oil.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
Thanks for the input Admin. . I also forgot to mention that it is a 15w-50, any pro's or con's to this. I'm thinking I may get 5-8k miles on an oil change, as you said I will have to keep an eye on the sight glass and make a decision as to a good interval to make oil changes. Thanks for any input.

I like your taste in oil as it is the same as mine for my bike....  :) Being an Engineer aboard ship for closest to 30 years I've grown to prefer oils with more body to support plain bearing equipment as the only thing between you and metal to metal contact is the hydrodynamic wedge of oil and it is my firm belief that heavier weight oil will resist squish better than lighter weight oils.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
I like your taste in oil as it is the same as mine for my bike....  :) Being an Engineer aboard ship for closest to 30 years I've grown to prefer oils with more body to support plain bearing equipment as the only thing between you and metal to metal contact is the hydrodynamic wedge of oil and it is my firm belief that heavier weight oil will resist squish better than lighter weight oils.

Squish?  I just love it when you talk technical... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
It took me many years to come to this conclusion.  I run whatever brand of oil the dealer I bought the vehicle from recommends, whether motorcycles or cars.

I have the dealer to do all my maintenance, including change the oil.  And I use their filter.  I am more than capable of doing my own maintenance.  However, I also can afford for the dealer to do it for me.  Crap, I even let them change the wiper blades!!!   So I let them screw  me.  But it puts the liability on them.

Had a water pump go out at 42K miles on my Jeep Rubicon, just out of warranty.  Dealer pulled the pump and started running on my ass about how corroded it was.  Interestingy enough, they had flushed the engine and radiator and changed the antifreeze out at 36K miles.  They ate the bill.

Same with brakes on my Honda CRV.  Master cylinder went out just months after they had "flushed" the brake lines.  They at the bill.

Clutch went out on my Suzuki Hayabusa (still in warranty).  Shop manager was asking what kind of oil I used to tear the plates up.  Told him I had no frigging idea as he had done 100% of the maintenance work and obviously used a crappy oil, if that's what caused the problem.  New clutch at no cost.

VW replaced a motor in my 2001 Jetta VR6 when it was 40000 miles out of warranty. Same scenario.  All of the maintenance was done by them, at their recommended schedule, etc. (this one took a little time to pull off_

That is allot of BS to deal with...  I hate Stealerships especially all the retarded service departments.  You can't trust them to do the work they charge you for and when they do the work they screw up everything like over filling oil, replaced Radiator in truck and didn't tighten the clamps on transmission cooler lines, washed the vehicle with both rear windows down...  I could go on and on but I tried different dealers and they all suck. 

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
Just to let you all know...  I made the switch to the dark side and changed my oil from my normal Mobil 1 Syn motorcycle oil that was over $10 per quart to the Mobile Delvac and I have about 700 miles on it this far and I can say that I did noticed a improvement in shifting (but this is comparing worn out 5k mile Mobil syn to brand new Mobile Delvac)...  I like the price and we shall see how long the smooth shifting last but so far so good and the price is great!!!

Offline katata1100

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »

I had a '98 CRV, the auto tranny shuddered after I used M1 atf in it. Replaced it with Honda brand atf, all was good. Local dealer said that Suzuki fork fluid is crap, only carries it in case he needs to a warranty repair on a Suzuki motorcycle fork, otherwise he uses/sells different brands (like Belray).
With VW, they are frick'en scary when it comes to servicing. I have a TDI and have heard of numerous accounts of them using non spec oil (especially with the PD cars which needed a special oil). They were supposed to redo the wiring on my heated seat due to a recall. Went to dealer (who is 40 miles away), set up appointment, I drove car there a week later with wife following, dropped it off, three days later, went to pick it up and they said they couldn't fix it, they didn't have all the parts.. f them. A salesman asked me if I wanted to see a Routan, their rebadged Chrysler van and I told him "Chrysler quality combined with VW service? Sounds like a car from hell!".

Offline Mugsy19

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
Ok...so I have done some searching and I am looking at using either Mobile 1 10w/40 synthetic or Texas Tea 10w/40 motorcycle synthetic. I saw in a post Texas Tea is on Amazon for $39.99 shipped and no tax. I confirmed. Not a bad price.  The Texas Tea says it is a motorcycle oil and it appears you guys a using both the Mobile 1 10w/40 synthetic motor oil and/or motorcycle oil? Any recommendations on using any one of the three? 

Gotta keep a good ole oil post going.
Peace!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:23:00 PM by Mugsy19 »

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
Never heard of Texas Tea oil.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Mugsy19

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Here is the Texas Tea motorcycle oil from Amazon.