Author Topic: Starting Over  (Read 23558 times)

Offline shakespeare

Re: Starting Over
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
The biggest tragedy in this whole deal is all that quality data lost from the arena. I am curious to see who is the first to post there.
Dan in South Jersey (formerly danielcombs)

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
Sorry to hear about the big crash! I'm sure it won't be long before we regain what was lost.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
What is "WYSIWYG editor" in the profile settings? Is that a new feature or I just didn't see that listed before as an option to enable or not??

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
I like that with this new version I can even see all the pics in the thread on my blackberry! Is that a new feature or was I just an idiot before...  :-\

Before...?     :-X
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »
I like that with this new version I can even see all the pics in the thread on my blackberry! Is that a new feature or was I just an idiot before...  :-\

Before...?     :-X

;D

Offline syntor

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
A lot of SISF's little pearls of wisdom will be missed too!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
Real bummer, Guys. I guess it's not just Riders that crash. :o
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
The biggest tragedy in this whole deal is all that quality data lost from the arena. I am curious to see who is the first to post there.
I MIGHT make that board by invite only. (I still need to play with the new features of this forum software)

What is "WYSIWYG editor" in the profile settings? Is that a new feature or I just didn't see that listed before as an option to enable or not??
I kinda think it's new? I think it's a glorified "quick reply" box at the end of every thread. Instead of a 'blank' box, you get the full WYSIWYG interface for posting.
Perhaps it's a better version of the old forum software. Dunnow  :-\

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline mike

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks for getting the forum running again Jim.

Well then.... nevermind Jim..... Thanks Rick.... ;D

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
I haven't been on the old forum but maybe a week!!!  Was some great reading ya'll had!  At least i'm not the only newbie now!!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
I am just devastated by the loss of the forums.  I had only been using it for several months and a member for much less than that, but had it not been for the forums, I would never have purchased my Concours.

I spent hundreds of hours reading thousands of posts, composing new ones, and replying to others- hoping to learn as much as possible, while sharing what I learned with others.  I was in the middle of tons of research for things to do... lots of bookmarks... lots of followed threads.

I am praying that the information can be restored... the loss to the Concours community is incalculable.  Meanwhile, I won't be posting much here, hoping that this is all just temporary.

I will share the new pic I just took of my bike, since I had to select a new Avatar, anyway:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:18:20 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Not to be a smart ass, but isn't the point of a RAID system is to have redundant data on multiple drives?  I think that to start from scratch is an unbelieveable task.  Is this a COG curse?

Rick, your task is immense, good luck!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
Not to be a smart ass, but isn't the point of a RAID system is to have redundant data on multiple drives?  I think that to start from scratch is an unbelieveable task.  Is this a COG curse?

Rick, your task is immense, good luck!

No.  A RAID offers *zero* protection from OS errors, application errors, user errors, controller failures, or total system destruction.  It only offers protection from single (and sometimes dual) hard drive failures.  It is not a form of backup of any kind.  Backups must always be on separate physical media, minimally... and ideally on removable, off-site storage.  (Yes, you can probably tell I am a 22+ year I.T. Admin)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
Anything we can do !

I'm an network engineer
but still helpful ...kinda
just ask
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
Well.........
What a major pian in the a$$. I can only imagine what you are going through out there.
Hope the info can be saved, let us know what we can do to help.
Ride safe all.
Greg
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:20:46 PM by Pfloydgad »
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
On the prior forum it would leave a thread title bolded until I went into it, which helped me keep track of what I've looked at vs not. Is this a setting in my profile I need to do for in the new forum, all threads look the same wether I've viewed them or not??

Any tips or guidance anyone?? Thanks!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »
I get to start with a fresh slate............woohoo!!! Keep your head up Rick, appreciate all you do and all you "will be doing". ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
On the prior forum it would leave a thread title bolded until I went into it,

It still does, mostly. On the main index page, board titles are all the same, but the icon to the left of the title is different for topics in unread boards.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
Uh... Pokey. Your new avatar looks like a ... (can I say it??)  ???

;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »
It still does, mostly. On the main index page, board titles are all the same, but the icon to the left of the title is different for topics in unread boards.

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick, but I'm still not following you.  ???

They appear to all look the same to me wether I've viewed it or not, I even tried hitting refresh etc, all the normal things. Is it a setting I didn't do??

Thanks!