Author Topic: "standard" C14 vs "Police" C14--steering stops/turning radius?  (Read 10673 times)

Offline copdocpvd

Does the police version of our bikes have smaller or shaved steering stops for tighter radius turning?  Anyone modify their "standard" C14 for better slow speed turns?
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: "standard" C14 vs "Police" C14--steering stops/turning radius?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
We did have a thread on LEO versions of the C14.  I'll see if I can find it again, but I do believe that you are correct in that the stops were modified.

Found it.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=95.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
I think I read that CHP when they did have the C-14 had to modify their own stops.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Kas

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
The police version of the Concourse have modified steering stops. It makes all the difference in the world at low speed steering.  CHP receveived their bikes with the stops modified. The modification can be made by removing the the headlight. The stops are shaved the width of a flat tipped Magic Marker about 4mm. A dremel and patience works best.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:22:50 AM »
I could have swore I read that the Police don't use the Connie anymore. Is that true?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
I could have swore I read that the Police don't use the Connie anymore. Is that true?

Some agencies still use it, but theyre being phased back out by some due to electrical issues (all the extra electronics is like trying to pull a 15,000 lb trailer with a smart car). I know Beaverton is going back to the FUGLY Honda ST.  (Which i probably would have bought if honda could pull their head out of their arse and have a good looking bike that can keep up with the technology... Still love my connie tho!)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »
CHP just signed a contract with Hardley Davidson.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Kas

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
The police depts still want the C14. Kawasaki has blocked the dealers from selling the C14 for police use. They have threatened the dealer body with financial ruin if they don't stop.  Kawasaki acts like one morning they woke up and Kawasaki police motorcycles were running all over the place. Kawasaki has been intimately involved in the Concourse police project from inception. It would make a great corporate conspiracy movie.

CHP signed with Harley because there were no other options. CHP would love to have their officers on a Kawasaki fleet.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
 :goodpost:

I looked into it, and that is a fact.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

omcrider

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
That is very interesting considering that Kawasaki has a history selling to police departments. Local PD's back in the day used to use those K1000 bikes and would compete yearly with Harley to see who got the contracts. What would be their motivation to not sell to law enforcement?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
the C-14 got royally screwed up by the outside vendor for the C-14 Police edition.
Kawi got in hot water, and had to pull the model.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »
CHP just signed a contract with Hardley Davidson.

Eeeew, say it isn't so...
That is a huge shame.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Isn't there more than one vendor that was converting these bikes? 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:31:22 AM »
Thanks Kas. I was aware that there were others that were upfitting the C14s and that some weren't as good as others.

To get this thread back on topic, Kas, can you give us more details as to the modifications to the steering stops?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:21 AM »
+1

Offline Kas

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
Trimming the steering stops on the Concours is one of those things that makes your stomach hurt until you're done. Then you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

1) Get access to steering stops by removing the headlight bezel. Some remove all the plastics, which gives you more room, but you don't need to.

2) Take a flat tipped, angle cut (about a 3 mm), Magic Marker (about a on inch tube). Make a vertical stripe holding the the tip flat against the steering stop at the edge of the stop. This will give you about a 3 mm black stripe.

3) Get a dremel with a small grinding wheel (one specifically for aluminum works best, but not required). Start from the steering stop grinding, A LITTLE AT A TIME, the black stripe away. 

CHECK MANY TIMES THAT YOU DON'T TAKE OFF TOO MUCH.  YOU CAN CHECK BY MAKING SURE NOTHING COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE GAS TANK AND ALL BRAKE LINES AND CABLES ARE CLEAR. YOU CAN CHECK THIS AT ANY TIME BY MOVING THE HANDLEBARS SIDE TO SIDE AGAINST THE STEERING STOPS YOU ARE GRINDING ON.

4) Reassemble, stand back and smile, or cry.

This modification, depending on you skill level, will allow you to turn 17 foot circles.

THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU START, THERE IS NO REVERSING THE PROCESS.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
Thanks Kas!!!!!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
Well, looks like I have one more free mod to do when I do my headlights this winter...
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
CHECK MANY TIMES THAT YOU DON'T TAKE OFF TOO MUCH.  YOU CAN CHECK BY MAKING SURE NOTHING COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE GAS TANK AND ALL BRAKE LINES AND CABLES ARE CLEAR..

Better check the windshield too because with my standard 2" risers, the brake fluid reservoir already almost touches as it is.  This mod would likely mean no risers possible anymore....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc