Author Topic: Linked Brakes Fixed  (Read 71579 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Linked Brakes Fixed
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »
.....but I can tell you my 2015 front calipers are fed by the same brake line, with a 'Y' between the forks.
  ???

Yes you CAN tell us that, but making us believe it is another matter.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/154077/2015/ZG1400EFF

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
Practice folks.

+10000

I invoke the ABS once in a while, just to know it's there. Straight line, some dirt or humidity or cold will do. A strong pulse on the lever and let go. Also emergency braking from increasing speeds: 20, 40 and 60 mph.
I had the chance to "practice" an emergency brake recently while doing 130 and a sudden jam formed (accident ahead) and had to throw anchor. The rate at which the brake system on this bike can shave speed is ridiculous, astonishing. I almost needed a paper bag. And no less impressive is how stable is the chassis, no weave whatsoever like on more sporty bikes with more aggressive steering.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
+10000

I invoke the ABS once in a while, just to know it's there. Straight line, some dirt or humidity or cold will do. A strong pulse on the lever and let go. Also emergency braking from increasing speeds: 20, 40 and 60 mph.
I had the chance to "practice" an emergency brake recently while doing 130 and a sudden jam formed (accident ahead) and had to throw anchor. The rate at which the brake system on this bike can shave speed is ridiculous, astonishing. I almost needed a paper bag. And no less impressive is how stable is the chassis, no weave whatsoever like on more sporty bikes with more aggressive steering.

+1 Even a low skilled rider such as myself panicking and mashing front and rear, the bike just stops without any fuss or upset. Now my greatest concern when braking hard is what's behind me because I know with rare exception, there is no way they can stop as fast.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »
Now my greatest concern when braking hard is what's behind me because I know with rare exception, there is no way they can stop as fast.

+10000000000
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2015, 04:06:26 PM »
  ???

Yes you CAN tell us that, but making us believe it is another matter.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/154077/2015/ZG1400EFF

wasted breath brother, wasted on someone who has no clue.
one line runs down to caliper, and a piggyback line runs to the other caliper...

expert with less than a thousand miles on the seat of that bike.

and the list keeps growing....
its been a slave left caliper for years. (not) great design, makes ya buy pads in half sets.
I like my ABS '08 very much.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
wasted breath brother, wasted on someone who has no clue.
one line runs down to caliper, and a piggyback line runs to the other caliper...

....its been a slave left caliper for years.
  ???  ???  ???

Sorry MOB, but other than '08 and '09, I don't believe you either.  :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:33:47 PM by fartymarty »

Offline Red Good

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
Randy that figured out the fix in the beginning of this thread had some pics attatched that  i cannot see . Are they still around or am i doing something wrong . Thanks 

Sorry guys had to become a member and now all is well . Good thread .

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »
Randy that figured out the fix in the beginning of this thread had some pics attatched that  i cannot see . Are they still around or am i doing something wrong . Thanks 

Sorry guys had to become a member and now all is well . Good thread .

:offtopic: I know, but how about introducing yourself......?

Just asking....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Freddy

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2016, 12:28:30 AM »
:offtopic: I know, but how about introducing yourself......?

Just asking....

+1

Here's what I posted on another forum.

The linked brakes can be disabled quite easily.  I did it recently on my new-to-me 2011.  Using the cross-over hose and the 2-hose banjo bolt from the right caliper of the earlier non-linked bike, connect the right caliper to the left caliper using that new hose and bolt to the left caliper.  The displaced hose banjo to the right caliper must be capped/blocked and cable tied for security - I tied it to the reflector mount.  I used a 3/8" (10mm) bolt and nylock nut, 2 sealing washers and thread tape on the bolt (just to help seal the thread) and new sealing washers on all loosened joints and flushed/bled the entire system.  Test ride and examine all connections closely for any signs of leakage and ensure that you have a full and firm brake lever and pedal, indicating no air in the system, and that brake performance is as normal as before - except for the linked brake function obviously. If this procedure is followed correctly and done by a competent person, the rider will be happy with the result (I was) and the ABS K-ACT system will be none the wiser (as mine was) and the ABS will function as normal.

However, do the above at your own risk.   ;)   I gleaned this procedure from old posts on this and/or other forums quite some time ago.  I had a 2008 bike and didn't like the linked system on the later model either so I reverted to the earlier system.  I have read that the current/new model's linked brake system is unobtrusive after K 'retuned' it.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »
Freddy, do you have any pictures of that mod?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:00 AM »
I will do some tomorrow, but it's similar to the gen 1 which many folks know well, except that gen 2 left caliper brake hose is the active one and the right (linked) one is plugged as described and tied to the right reflector bracket.

See hose 43095B to the left of the triple clamp in the illustration link below, plus bolt 92153B

https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/30807/2008/ZG1400A8F

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »
Does anyone know what Kaw changed from the 2010 - 2014 models to get the linked brakes to the way they are on the 2015 and newer bikes?

Was it mechanical changes in the ABS unit or could it have been an electronic change like getting your ECU flashed?
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
Does anyone know what Kaw changed from the 2010 - 2014 models to get the linked brakes to the way they are on the 2015 and newer bikes?  [less linking]

Was it mechanical changes in the ABS unit or could it have been an electronic change like getting your ECU flashed?

I am going to *SPECULATE* that it is just a simple software change....  an update to a table value.  Because that is all it should take.  But that isn't going to be offered for reprogramming.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »
Check abs pump and ecm part numbers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »
Check abs pump and ecm part numbers.

That would only tell you there was a difference but not what or why, though.  Theoretically, the change would only require a few changes in a few bytes in a table in EEPROM.  But of course that would require they use a whole new part number, since they don't offer software updates/patches/upgrades.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2016, 04:32:35 PM »
You're right, any change would require a different part #.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
Freddy, do you have any pictures of that mod?

3/8 UNC bolt, nylock nut washers & thread tape used to blank off the right linked hose which is tied to the reflector bracket above.  The bolt shown is a tad longer than the one I used.

EDIT: I've not been 100% happy with the method I used to block the displaced hose.  Having given more thought to it and scratching about in my tub of left-over bit from other jobs I came up with this short hose fitted with a 10x1mm plug.  The hose is from a 1400 ABS unit.  In stock form it joins the long steel pipes that run under the tank to the ABS unit - but it's a spare from a wrecked bike.  This short hose with plug will replace the displaced hose which presently runs to the right caliper.  It's necessary to lift the fuel tank to access the front end of the steel pipe to fit the 'block-off' hose. This update gives certainty that no leak will ever develop.  Of the 2 bikes I personally did the 'bolt & tape' block-off to, neither have developed any seepage whatsoever after more than 2 years with that somewhat primitive 'fix.'

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:57:22 AM by Freddy »

Offline seagiant

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »
Hi,
        Admittedly, the linked brakes on my 2012 does not bother me.

I have seen a few of these "fixes" on different Forums, but....

It always seems that the fix involves losing the ABS function???

All that to ask is this still the case???

Offline Freddy

« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2016, 10:58:26 PM »
Hi,
        Admittedly, the linked brakes on my 2012 does not bother me.

I have seen a few of these "fixes" on different Forums, but....

It always seems that the fix involves losing the ABS function???

All that to ask is this still the case???

This mod has no impact on ABS function.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
Thanks, Freddy!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.