Author Topic: ergonomics  (Read 3643 times)

Offline overthehill

ergonomics
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »
Want to see how you on a number of bikes?  How far do you have to lean forward?  Will it fit you?  This is an interesting website that allows you to compare bikes and you.  Just thought you might enjoy it.  :)

http://cycle-ergo.com/
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
Want to see how you on a number of bikes?  How far do you have to lean forward?  Will it fit you?  This is an interesting website that allows you to compare bikes and you.  Just thought you might enjoy it.  :)

http://cycle-ergo.com/

That is neat.  I seem to remember it from a few years ago.  According to it, I would have a forward lean of 19 degrees, knee of 98, and hip of 85 (if I were using the stock bars and seat).   That is a LOT more forward lean than a "typical" rider on the C14 (which would likely be around 12-13 degrees), hence the bar risers help significantly.

What is truly scary is I would be at a 43 degree forward lean on a ZX14.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:23:06 AM »

There is one fault for this.  It does not factor in the length of your arms.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:47:42 AM »
There is one fault for this.  It does not factor in the length of your arms.

Actually, it does.  Arm length is a ratio of leg length and can be derived from that measurement.  In humans, that ratio is almost always the same.  Not so with torso (sitting) height vs. leg/arm length... which is why they need to know your inseam.

But what they don't know is how "bent" you like to have your arms when riding.... so they do give you that variable you can tweak.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
I looked at that when going from my TL1000R to the Concours (I was considering the FJR, Sprint ST and a few others). It didn't make up my mind for me, but it was neat to compare the bikes.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline tomp

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
It is a great site.  I use it to get a general feel for a bike before I get serious about a purchase.  It can show you basically how close your feet will come to flat footing, but it doesn't take in to consideration the suspension sag.  Will show two up for different heights, too. . .

One big NoNo, I have forund is, do not hotlink an image of you on a bike, to show how you fit.  The site owner will have it down in no time and post a big note in its place, "Don't hotlink from my site!".  It may have something to do with bandwidth, or some other mysterious computer stuff. You can save the image as a jpeg for comparisons, but no url postings. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »
You could just sit on a bike at a dealer and see how it feels, or maybe even try to ride a bike that you want to buy.