Author Topic: Stupid is as stupid does  (Read 33742 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2019, 08:17:07 AM »
Ok, based on the statement "In court Monday, Judge Phillip Montgomery ordered that Hoover be held on a $10,000 bond. If he were to come up with the $1,000 needed to get out of jail" I have an (honest) question.  (?)

I've seen this before; a person has to come up with 1/10th of the Bond/Bail to get out of jail.
Why is there a bond set and a person has to come up with only 1/10th of that amount?  :o

To me, the idea definitely qualifies as "Stupid is as stupid does".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2019, 10:15:41 AM »
I've seen this before; a person has to come up with 1/10th of the Bond/Bail to get out of jail.
Why is there a bond set and a person has to come up with only 1/10th of that amount?  :o

It usually works out all around. If "dufus" doesn't show he (or usually his bondsman) owe the court $10,000. The 10% usually ends up being the fee that the bondsman gets to keep after dufus is convicted or exonerated. This works out in that the tax payer is relieved of the burden of housing; feeding;and medically attending to the dufus. The state doesn't have to keep tabs on the dufus as usually the bondsman makes the dufus check in weekly or will do the search for dufus when dufus goes missing. This also prevents an undo burden on the poor if they are innocent, in that they can continue to work and not get too much poorer as they would if in jail waiting for trial. It could occasionally leave a bondsman in a bad spot financially but then that applies to almost any business. There may be insurance companies that insure bondsmen for all I know about it.

Apologies to anyone here that might be named "dufus", no insult was intended.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
Yeah, all of that plus it is a Constitutional right to have physical freedom unless convicted of some crime or if one presents a 'immediate and dire' danger to society.

As to the bail bondsman losing that 90% (or whatever it is in each circumstance), remember there are a lot of bounty hunters in the US and they can be outright relentless, and vicious, in the pursuit of those with outstanding warrants. And as they only get paid when they produce these persons, they put a lot of effort into it as well as it being their only job; picking up those with outstanding warrants usually falls pretty low on the 'to do' list of gov't employed law enforcement.

Brian

It usually works out all around. If "dufus" doesn't show he (or usually his bondsman) owe the court $10,000. The 10% usually ends up being the fee that the bondsman gets to keep after dufus is convicted or exonerated. This works out in that the tax payer is relieved of the burden of housing; feeding;and medically attending to the dufus. The state doesn't have to keep tabs on the dufus as usually the bondsman makes the dufus check in weekly or will do the search for dufus when dufus goes missing. This also prevents an undo burden on the poor if they are innocent, in that they can continue to work and not get too much poorer as they would if in jail waiting for trial. It could occasionally leave a bondsman in a bad spot financially but then that applies to almost any business. There may be insurance companies that insure bondsmen for all I know about it.

Apologies to anyone here that might be named "dufus", no insult was intended.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
Yeah, all of that plus it is a Constitutional right to have physical freedom unless convicted of some crime or if one presents a 'immediate and dire' danger to society.

^^^^^^this

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Still seems like a stupid system to me.

More sense; Set the Bond for a reasonable number that some can post Bond for, not an unreal number that can't be met and let them pay 10%.

Reason I ask; We have had a "Dufus" in our area that Bonded out 3 times in a row for snatching purses and beating up old ladies.   After he got out the 3rd time, he tried again, shot a cop and the cop shot/killed him. (Good riddance)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2019, 03:03:54 PM »
Still seems like a stupid system to me.[...]Reason I ask; We have had a "Dufus" in our area that Bonded out 3 times in a row for snatching purses and beating up old ladies.   After he got out the 3rd time, he tried again, shot a cop and the cop shot/killed him. (Good riddance)

I don't think the bond system was the fault there.  If there was a repeat pattern, it seems odd the judge would set a reachable bond or even allow it at that point.  I believe they do have discretion for such situations (although I really don't know for sure).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »
I guess this would really be 'stupid is as stupid says', at least sometimes.

Apparently Robert De Niro is afraid that the current president, Donald Trump, may be able to serve three terms as President by starting a war.... The idea was suggested to him by Martin Scorsese. De Niro alludes to that fact that the only President to serve more than two terms was Franklin Roosevelt (true) and seems to be saying that that was because of 'a war' (World War II): not true. FDR served more than two terms because he was elected again in his second term and THAT WAS LEGAL AT THAT TIME. This is truly amazing to me as it would seem that both of these gentlemen (De Niro and Scorsese) are a little 'shy' in their knowledge of the 'owner's manual for the USA', the Constitution. Specifically, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution that expressly forbids anyone from serving more than two terms (though technically one <could> serve more than eight years if some part of that time in office was in finishing another President's term though not more than two years of it.... 10 years max. as President of the US).

Now ignorance and stupidity are things we have in abundance and we all have to deal with them and the results of both of them. The problem is that the stupider of the population seem to give greater importance to the OPINIONS, correct or not, of celebrities. I have no idea why that is but it does seem to be so. Amazing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-de-niro-believes-trump-will-start-a-war-so-he-can-serve-three-terms-as-president

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »
This is truly amazing to me as it would seem that both of these gentlemen (De Niro and Scorsese) are a little 'shy' in their knowledge of the 'owner's manual for the USA', the Constitution.

DeNiro is a whack job, in addition to being ignorant.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
The idea was suggested to him by Martin Scorsese.

You know, it would all make more sense if it had been suggested by Oliver Stone, as I'm sure he could have wound up a conspiracy theory on how they were going to get around
the restrictions in the constitution. Since it's Scorsese, I guess it was all just based on ignorance. Not that there is any short supply on that nationwide when it comes to knowledge of the
U. S. Constitution.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2019, 05:41:51 AM »
I guess this would really be 'stupid is as stupid says', at least sometimes.

Apparently Robert De Niro is afraid that the current president, Donald Trump, may be able to serve three terms as President by starting a war.... The idea was suggested to him by Martin Scorsese. De Niro alludes to that fact that the only President to serve more than two terms was Franklin Roosevelt (true) and seems to be saying that that was because of 'a war' (World War II): not true. FDR served more than two terms because he was elected again in his second term and THAT WAS LEGAL AT THAT TIME. This is truly amazing to me as it would seem that both of these gentlemen (De Niro and Scorsese) are a little 'shy' in their knowledge of the 'owner's manual for the USA', the Constitution. Specifically, the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution that expressly forbids anyone from serving more than two terms (though technically one <could> serve more than eight years if some part of that time in office was in finishing another President's term though not more than two years of it.... 10 years max. as President of the US).

Now ignorance and stupidity are things we have in abundance and we all have to deal with them and the results of both of them. The problem is that the stupider of the population seem to give greater importance to the OPINIONS, correct or not, of celebrities. I have no idea why that is but it does seem to be so. Amazing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/robert-de-niro-believes-trump-will-start-a-war-so-he-can-serve-three-terms-as-president

Brian

DeNiro is a whack job, in addition to being ignorant.

He may be an ignorant whack job but at least his heart is in the right place.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
He may be an ignorant whack job but at least his heart is in the right place.

Could be.  And he is a great actor (I like his movies).  The problem is that people need compassion AND a reasonable approach.  "Teach a man to fish" not "give a man a fish".  Of course, there are times you need to do both, but the latter is not a reasonable full/time permanent solution.

The other problem is that TV/Movie/Celebrities are generally not any more knowledgeable, credible, insightful, or capable (outside their field) than anyone else.  Their job is to entertain and pretend to be other people.  It isn't to solve the world's problems.... most have no special skill or knowledge that should afford their voice any more weight than mine or yours (for example).  In many cases, they are so isolated from "reality", their opinions are WORSE.  So when the media rolls out celebrities' virtue signaling and such, it really makes me want to barf (regardless of what position they might have).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
Whoa there! Are you telling me that there is even a remote possibility that Jenny McCarthy may be wrong and we SHOULD vaccinate our children?

:rotflmao:

Brian

<snip>

The other problem is that TV/Movie/Celebrities are generally not any more knowledgeable, credible, insightful, or capable (outside their field) than anyone else.  Their job is to entertain and pretend to be other people.  It isn't to solve the world's problems.... most have no special skill or knowledge that should afford their voice any more weight than mine or yours (for example).  In many cases, they are so isolated from "reality", their opinions are WORSE.  So when the media rolls out celebrities' virtue signaling and such, it really makes me want to barf (regardless of what position they might have).

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2019, 01:35:07 AM »
As for the people who believe what a preacher/politician/celebrity says over what a doctor/scientist says, well I say let them believe what they will.
I do feel sorry for their children for having to go back to pre-science levels of mortality but then that is what their parents chose for them.
In the long term the problem is self correcting and they may actually be doing Homo Sapiens Sapiens a favour by breeding stupidity and gullibility out of the species.
I think of Anti-Vaxxers as chlorine for the gene-pool  ;D
It's just a shame that their kids, and the kids of others should have to suffer because of their stupidity.  :'(
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
As for the people who believe what a preacher/politician/celebrity says over what a doctor/scientist says, well I say let them believe what they will.
I do feel sorry for their children for having to go back to pre-science levels of mortality but then that is what their parents chose for them.
In the long term the problem is self correcting and they may actually be doing Homo Sapiens Sapiens a favour by breeding stupidity and gullibility out of the species.
I think of Anti-Vaxxers as chlorine for the gene-pool  ;D
It's just a shame that their kids, and the kids of others should have to suffer because of their stupidity.  :'(

You may be right B but the problem is, for many of us, the bolded section above takes so damn long! And it seems that before this happens, we, as a people seemingly are, on average, getting less and less intelligent. 

You can also add another group of entertainers to that list above, professional athletes. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
You may be right B but the problem is, for many of us, the bolded section above takes so damn long! And it seems that before this happens, we, as a people seemingly are, on average, getting less and less intelligent. 

That's what happens when a huge government steps in and saves everyone from themselves, insulates everyone from the consequence of their poor life choices, and allows everyone to be a "victim".  For example, right now, the government is the "daddy" to how many children?  Freedom doesn't work without responsibility and accountability.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2019, 08:48:04 PM »
"Prosecutors say a man stole $88,000 from a bank vault. The FBI caught him after he flashed stacks of bills on social media. [...]  If you're systematically stealing money from a bank vault, it may not be a good idea to post the evidence on your social media pages."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/14/us/man-accused-of-stealing-from-bank-vault-facebook-post-trnd/index.html

Offline Conrad

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2020, 04:03:06 AM »
A man allegedly teaching his dog to drive was arrested after leading troopers on a high speed chase

A man was arrested Sunday after leading troopers on a high-speed chase with his dog sitting in the driver's seat, a spokeswoman for the Washington State Patrol said.

The man from Lakewood, Washington, hit two cars on separate occasions and failed to stop both times, leading state troopers on a high-speed chase up Interstate 5, the spokeswoman said. No major injuries were reported in either crash.

"He was driving very erratically. So erratically that multiple people called 911," trooper Heather Axtman told CNN.

The suspect was driving "absolutely recklessly," and a pursuit ensued at 109 miles an hour, she said. One of the troopers attempted to corner the suspect's car, looked inside and realized a pit bull was sitting in the driver's seat while the suspect steered, Axtman said.

As he was trying to evade troopers, the suspect drove onto Centennial Trail, a trail for pedestrians and bicyclists in Snohomish County known for being busy, according to Axtman.
"The fact that there wasn't anybody on the trail is nothing shy of miraculous." Axtman said. "We are very thankful."

Eventually troopers were able to use spike strips to end the pursuit. During the arrest, Axtman said the suspect gave them one explanation: He was "trying to teach his dog how to drive."

"I wish I could make this up," Axtman, who is also a public information officer, said. "I've been a trooper for almost 12 years and wow, I've never heard this excuse. I've been in a lot of high speed chases, I've stopped a lot of cars, and never have I gotten an excuse that they were teaching their dog how to drive."

The Washington State Patrol charged the man with reckless endangerment, hit and run, driving under the influence and felony eluding. His bond was set at $8,500 and he is set to appear in court March 30.

As for the dog, Axtman said the "very sweet girl" was taken to the animal shelter after her owner was arrested.

:o

The dog had no comment and asked for her lawyer.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »
Update to the above:
Upon further examination, after the arrest, the dog was tested, and found to be under the influence of LSD, Crack Cocaine, Methamphetamine, and had a BAC of 0.40... also found were marijuana blunts, one tucked behind the dogs ear....

the dog kept repeating.. " Dude, all I want is a couple cans of Wolf's Tooth Dogfood..the Dirty Filthy Hippie flavor, but Raccoon flavor will do.. I got the munchies sumpin' feirce..."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2020, 04:54:14 PM »
More importantly.

The drugged dog was able to outdrive the trained police officers....
    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hail: :hail:

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
Probably a good thing there wasn't a shootout.  8)