Author Topic: Just looking for some answers [tire sizes]  (Read 10012 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Just looking for some answers
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:52 AM »
Yep- exactly right about being blown out of proportion. For some reason, it is not enough to simply like something or just to not love it- a lot of people have to race to the extreme as fast as they can. Note that there is very little 'meh' feeling about KiPass for example; we must for an extremely strong opinion, right away, and scream it out as loudly as possible.

I prefer the /55 series but I would not say that they transform the bike into something magical. It is still a 700 lb. 'sport tourer' and nothing is going to cause it to turn in or transition like a liter sport bike.

Brian

<snip>

I agree with Mike here, and prefer the 190/50 rubber. I have also run 190/55 rear tires and I don't like them personally. I think this whole 55 series rear tire business on the C14 has been blown a bit out of proportion, but as with all things on the internet, I suppose that will happen....lol. Some folks will like 'em, some will not;).

Rem 8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
Yep- exactly right about being blown out of proportion. For some reason, it is not enough to simply like something or just to not love it- a lot of people have to race to the extreme as fast as they can. Note that there is very little 'meh' feeling about KiPass for example; we must for an extremely strong opinion, right away, and scream it out as loudly as possible.

I prefer the /55 series but I would not say that they transform the bike into something magical. It is still a 700 lb. 'sport tourer' and nothing is going to cause it to turn in or transition like a liter sport bike.

Brian

I like KiPass but it is not a "must have" on any future bike of mine. So I guess I fall into that 'meh" category. Much of the KiPass stuff on this forum is a joke I think. Where's Steve? I also like the 55 better but my last PR-4 rear is a 50 simply because a 55 wasn't available. So the 55 obviously isn't a must have for me either. I just prefer it.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »
The reason why it turns more easily is because the 55 series tire is narrower and has a more rounded profile. The wider and "flatter" a rear tire is, the "slower" the steering is.

The 50 series tire looks cool, but it doesn't help the handling of the bike at all.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZ1, and a lot of guys on those bikes change from the stock 50 series tire to a 55 series tire for the same reasons C14 owners do; the bike steers quicker and easier.

Technical point here:  The /55 in the tire designation has nothing to do with the width of the tire.  As for the contact patch...that's a different story...
'02 C-10

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
Technical point here:  The /55 in the tire designation has nothing to do with the width of the tire.  As for the contact patch...that's a different story...

The FJR has the same size tires as the C14 with the exception they use a 55 rear. I would guess that Kawi determined the C14 needed a larger contact patch to handle the greater HP and torque. In Colorado we have much reduced HP due to altitude. I like the slightly better feel in the turns with the 55 and don't miss the larger contact patch on acceleration.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
Oh Oh, different tire sizes making different contact patch area. That is almost entirely a function of tire pressure- more pressure, a smaller contact patch regardless of tire size.

The FJR uses a different size tire- a 180/55, which is the standard for the 5.5" wheel width on that bike. C-14's have a 6" wide rear wheel and use a 190/50 standard. Either tire can be used on either wheel but the width of the beads does affect the radius (cross- section radius) of the tire.

Brian

The FJR has the same size tires as the C14 with the exception they use a 55 rear. I would guess that Kawi determined the C14 needed a larger contact patch to handle the greater HP and torque. In Colorado we have much reduced HP due to altitude. I like the slightly better feel in the turns with the 55 and don't miss the larger contact patch on acceleration.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
 :popcorn:

Of course...I am assuming all other aspects being equal...but, it is most definitely affected by profile...
'02 C-10

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
I've been finding myself with gloves and helmet on, when I notice my ZX14 key is burried in my pocket.

I have been spoiled with my fob after all. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Of course- everyone eventually sees the spectacularness of KiPass if they will only allow themselves to do so.

Paraphrased:  Anyone who cannot see the greatness of KiPass is blind Sir, blind!

There is that internet excess we were just talking about, huh?  ;D

Brian

I've been finding myself with gloves and helmet on, when I notice my ZX14 key is burried in my pocket.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
If you really want that larger contact patch for the flat roads in Florida (and elsewhere), spoon on a car tire!  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
 :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »
If you really want that larger contact patch for the flat roads in Florida (and elsewhere), spoon on a car tire!  8)

Oh no, don't say that.

"Oh no you didn't"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »

Yes!  Love the fob, but not a necessity.  A luxury is nice every now and then.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077