Author Topic: What do you guys think of this stupid assault weapons ban gibberish?  (Read 16329 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: What do you guys think of this stupid assault weapons ban gibberish?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
In a calm voice Jonathan, you and your countrymen grew up with your laws, as we grew up with ours. Now we as a country are being forced
into a limited freedom change, and a vast majority are not in agreement with them. If the shoe were on the other foot, how would your countrymen
react to a similar change? With open arms? And accepting criticism from non-citizens, plus being insulted on your intelligence? Without the understanding
on how the majority of us grew up controlling our weapons, being instructed from our family, instructors and military, an intelligent opinion should not
be formed without that knowledge, don't you think??
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline jonathan

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
In a calm voice Jonathan, you and your countrymen grew up with your laws, as we grew up with ours. Now we as a country are being forced
into a limited freedom change, and a vast majority are not in agreement with them. If the shoe were on the other foot, how would your countrymen
react to a similar change? With open arms? And accepting criticism from non-citizens, plus being insulted on your intelligence? Without the understanding
on how the majority of us grew up controlling our weapons, being instructed from our family, instructors and military, an intelligent opinion should not
be formed without that knowledge, don't you think??

Thank you for explaining that. I am trying to understand this situation and did not mean to insult anyone. We do not get the insight from the media here, only the sensationalism.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
The fact that we live in a modern age we have modern firearms to defend against the same and is as it should be. My intent is for my protection from terrorism in what ever form. Homeland security admits they cannot control our boarders or criminals and the facts prove this. We the people need to get this fact presented not the need for deer rifles and single shot 22s. That is the REAL purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect ourselves from tyranny from what ever source. The law could not stop the psychos. An organize and armed public might be able to, as well as defend against the armed drug cartels south of us. How would you feel living near the border with the proposed laws in effect? All warm and fuzzy I'm sure. JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
Thank you for explaining that. I am trying to understand this situation and did not mean to insult anyone. We do not get the insight from the media here, only the sensationalism.

And that is a BIG problem for us. It is apparent that the current administration, along with the entertainment industry (including the media), are in
lock step to lead the (sh)people down a path that is beneficial for the controlling principals, not for the citizens. I personally find that the media
scores big numbers of supporters in cities, consisting of a melting pot of folks from around the world, with their mindset from their own countries
beliefs. And then you have the city folk, that never step outside of their overpopulated lifestyle, and who would never step into any body of water
that isn't contained by concrete. Not too many hunters live in the city, nor do too many of them concern themselves with how the other 90% of America
live, or support themselves and others. The old 'head in the sand' scenario.. As I speak for myself, I know that the majority of America is disgruntled
with the direction our so called leaders are pointing us to. I'm very afraid that a re-alignment may be forming, and this catalyst will divide us. So be it..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »

And that right there is a LARGE part of our problem.  The "media" in the U.S. acts as a mouthpiece for the liberal section that does not give a fig for accuracy in reporting.  The whole mission is to create sensationalism to keep churning the issues for "discussion", which means argument. Almost everything you hear/read about firearms, and the posession and use thereof, on television and newspapers, is inaccurate, misleading, just plain wrong.  Hollywood never gets it right.  Everything shown in movies and television is inaccurate.  The non-gun-owning people accept this as gospel and form their opinions based on inaccurate info.  Case in point:  An AR-15 IS NOT an "assault rifle", since it has no fully automatic function.  It just LOOKS like one.  And banning units solely because they have a pistol grip is just pandering to the uninformed who don't know what they are talking about.  They want to limit magazines to 10 rounds.  But they don't know that you can chamber a round, then "top-up" your magazine and have a total of 11 rounds in the pistol.  (Sshh...don't tell them.)  You'd be surprised how many people think semi-automatic means machine gun.  It does not.  Long before the general acceptance of the "AR" style weapons, there were semi-automatic rifles used for hunting.  And what about lever-action?  In the hands of an experienced person they are pretty darned fast.  The lever-action Henry repeater was the "assault rifle" of it's day, and the hand-cranked Gatling gun was supposed to make warfare obsolete.  The .223  cal AR is not legal for hunting in many areas due to it's power rating.  But you can use an auto loading BAR in .30-06, with much greater killing power and no one wants to ban those.  And in either case you may be limited in the number of rounds carried while hunting. 

Society needs a monster.  If we don't have one, we will invent one.  We NEED to have something to focus our anger at. It is much easier to focus that anger at things than at other people, although we do that too.  Today we are focusing our anger on firearms.  Tomorrow it will be something else that "they" want banned.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

devilboy

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
I'm in Canada where we do have gun control laws and I am happy about that. We are allowed guns for hunting and for collecting under tightly controlled conditions. Yes, we have criminals with guns that don't have licences, but we also have police with automatic weapons that seem to keep that under control. If the general population underwent the same screening, training and qualification that the police do then I would be OK with them carrying, but not, as it appears in the US, when any jackass with a extra $200 can buy a gun and carry it in public just waiting for someone to **** him off.

I think that US gun laws are basically non-existent and many innocent people are dying that don't need to. Our gun laws aren't perfect, but everyone that wants to still gets to hunt and target shoot without taking pot shots at random citizens.

As an aside; why do you need assault rifles? Deer don't shoot back.

I disagree 100% with his  point of  view!!!   BUT WE  must defend his right to free speech above all! WE can not pick and choose which rights we accept and which we don't depending on his point of view  even  while being diametrically opposed .
and remember liberals like deer dont shoot back because they don't have guns.... ;D

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
The 2nd Amendment wasn't put into place for hunting......end of story. And you can bet your butt that many AR platforms are in fact used for hunting, and no they are not assault rifles.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
It's really simple. America has LOTS of guns.  You can't wish them away. "when you outlaw guns, only criminals will have guns".   It really is as simple as that.  When you make a gun free zone, law-abiding citizens are forced to not carry guns there.  But nut jobs and criminals don't care, so they walk into shooting gallery and shoot with impunity.

People always think that if you have concealed carry, it's like the Old West, shootouts on every corner, non stop death. Well, the vast majority of states have it and have for a while, do you hear about a lot of shootouts by concealed carrying folks. No, you only hear about nut jobs and gang bangers, neither of them follow laws so what good does a law do?

Think about it, what laws would have stopped Newton CT? 
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
A VERY interesting video that covers this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w0o7YgiTFm4
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
A VERY interesting video that covers this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w0o7YgiTFm4

wow - don't miss this one. he really nailed it. Thanks for posting.  Steve

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
In Canada we have misguided gun laws.  I say misguided because they are meant for the liberals to quote and feel safe, but as mentioned numerous times criminals don't adhere to laws.  Banning anything more than ten in a mag is silly, I could carry 10 mags and switch out without missing a beat. I have a rifle that was deemed 'prohibited' because it looks like an assault rifle, and it does look menacing,but that doesn't make it any more dangerous than a semi auto hunting 'shaped' rifle. (In Canada prohobited means I have to have it registered and when I tip over it has to be destroyed, I can't will it to my son)  They prohibited small concealable semi's (32's) to keep the gangers from carrying them but a small 45's are fine.  Many other laws were brought in to make the shooting sports jump through hoops but not actually make them illegal.  The laws are more of a make work project than anything... because they only affect the law abiding citizens.
I've always believed that concealed carry laws are the great equalizer in a society as it promotes cordiality amongst citizens.  You sure won't lip off or have road rage against someone that is on equal footing to you.  The weak and downtrodden have as much power in a disagreement when they could be packing.  You wouldn't worry about your mother living alone if she had some defense and the criminals knew it.  The liberals would argue that the whackjobs would be able to carry too, and yes they probably would, but they likely woudn't go around using it if they knew that everybody else is also packing.  It keeps the 'Ma'am and Sir' in day to day dealings.
I could go on and on about stupid attempts by governments to step on it's citizens by first removing guns from the populace.
Just my opinion of course.

Good luck to you my American friends.  You are the last bastion of 'freedom' on the planet. 
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »
If the general population underwent the same screening, training and qualification that the police do then I would be OK with them carrying, but not, as it appears in the US, when any jackass with a extra $200 can buy a gun and carry it in public just waiting for someone to **** him off.

I think that US gun laws are basically non-existent and many innocent people are dying that don't need to. Our gun laws aren't perfect, but everyone that wants to still gets to hunt and target shoot without taking pot shots at random citizens.

As an aside; why do you need assault rifles? Deer don't shoot back.

First off, not everyone who owns a gun is a jackass, and not everyone is allowed to carry, and MOST are not just waiting for some one to **** them off.  I don't mind ignorance, but dayum son!
I'd like to also inform you that there are currently over 2,000 gun laws on the books in the USA.  Hardly non-existent, and if the criminals break the laws to commit crimes, what good will another law do?
And...2nd amendment was never about hunting.  Again, I point out your ignorance.  Read our Constitution, find out why the second amanedment exists, and try to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.  You'd be surprised the power you have when you begin a debate with actual knowledge and facts on your side.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
Good luck to you my American friends.  You are the last bastion of 'freedom' on the planet

Thanks for your comments but our rights are on a major down slide with no end in sight. Now you can get fined just for being born and not buying government defined health insurance and our Supreme Court, with a conservative Justice, made it all constitutional. No the last bastion of freedom died with the last century. We are all doomed to one world government dictated "regulation nations".
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
For the record, over 46 laws were broken in the sandy hook event if it actually went down as the authorities claim. I don't think any more would have made a bit of difference. 
I have carried much of my adult life. I have yet to get pissed off and shoot anyone. Actually only laid a hand on my gun once during an escalating situation but it calmed down without any serious problems.
I think we are very quickly headed towards revolution in this country.

I love my country but hate my effin government!
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline jonathan

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
First off, not everyone who owns a gun is a jackass, and not everyone is allowed to carry, and MOST are not just waiting for some one to **** them off.  I don't mind ignorance, but dayum son!
I'd like to also inform you that there are currently over 2,000 gun laws on the books in the USA.  Hardly non-existent, and if the criminals break the laws to commit crimes, what good will another law do?
And...2nd amendment was never about hunting.  Again, I point out your ignorance.  Read our Constitution, find out why the second amanedment exists, and try to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.  You'd be surprised the power you have when you begin a debate with actual knowledge and facts on your side.

I did not mean to imply that everyone that owned a gun was a jackass and I am learning a lot from this discussion.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
If you read the 2nd Amendment, and understand what it was meant to do, it was to insure that a Militia (common man) had the same power to protect themselves from government, both domestic and foreign.

At that time, a well armed Militia is what they had... rifles, pistols, swords, even cannon were the same between civilian and the Armed forces.  There weren't any differences.  Fast forward to today, and we have a huge difference between our civilian arms and what our military have access to. 

Now they are even taking it further...
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 05:37:52 PM »
The TRUTH of the mater is criminals and nuts who want to do mass killings don't care about ANY LAWS , most of the time they kill them selfs, so these LAWS only screw with honest law abiding people that would never do any thing anyway , so it drives me CRAZY when they say common sense won in NY .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
Some months ago I had a discussion with the wife of a good friend.  She just could not accept that some people have no respect for laws.  Her take is that if there is a law against something, then NO ONE will do it because people obey laws.  (Oh, yeah, then why do we have police?)   No amount of reasoning, statistics, argument or whatever would get her to accept the idea of "outlaws", people to whom laws mean nothing.  I asked her if she had ever exceeded the speed limit when driving and she said, "Well, sure, but that's different."  Yes different in degree, but still a disregard for the speed law.  She felt she was OK to do that, but I still couldn't convince her that there are people who feel the same way about laws against murder and assault.  I cannot understand her mindset.

Offline booger

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
Nope you got that wrong...POTUS wants us UNARMED.....train rides are next then a "shower"   

Serious....POTUS wants us unarmed...his long term goals are to extend the time a pres can hold office, disarm America, and become Kim Jong eel the 3rd , except to China this time

I totally agree with you Silvera.  I had always contended if Obama had not won this election, he wouldn't have stepped down.  This bastard wants to rule us, not be our POTUS