Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 859152 times)

Offline eng943

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3160 on: August 11, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
That's a pretty bike but doesn't make near the HP the C14 does.

I rode a demo S1000XR a while back and it felt gutless down low compared to my SISF reflashed C14. It didn't have a lot of miles and was ECU rev-limited to 9k. When it hit 7k, it was a beast but was quite the pooch below that, IMO. Maybe it was all that ECU software intruding but this was straight up and down on hot asphalt.  Also, there was no indication on the dash of traction control.  The salesman asked me how I wanted it set up before I took off and I said, "Turn it all off".  He looked at me funny but I rode up on a C14 with a pipe and was wearing full leather. He just shook his head and set it up and turned me loose.

Actually when you consider that the RS makes 120 ish at the wheel and weighs about 150lbs less, they really are not far apart.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3161 on: August 15, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »
Yesterday,  sold the 99 to a fine gentleman from Texas.

He flew into Boston, and will be starting his ride back to Texas some time this morning.

Kind of sad to see it go, I spent a lot of hours modifying the bike to get it just the way I wanted it, and put over 47,000 miles on it.   :'(

Hopefully he'll get as much enjoyment out of it as I did.

Best of luck to you Jeff! 
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3162 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
I plugged a flat tire :D

This is almost beyond belief. I could hardly beieve my own eyes. On the way to the gym on my Concours. was planning to stop and get some whisky and beer on the way. A block before the store I hear a loud "pop" and felt it in the front end. Started watching the dash and withen 1/8 of I mile it goes to 35 psi then the low pressure warning. I head for the nearest fuel station. On it's corner I get a red light. I put on my flashers and motion to the driver behind me. Agonizingly long wait for a green. I limp through the3 corner with 12 psi. At the Exoon I luck out and pull into the only spot of shade on the property.  With a flat tire I cannot get on the CS with the topcase on so I pull that off and dive into for my flat tire kit two plugs in and I hook up my Aerostich pump.Seems to be inflating. I left my gauge in my tank bag from last weeks trip so I go inside and buy one plus a quart of gatorade, it 91 F, left the pump running. Back ouside I check the pressure. Gauge says 28. I put the pump back on and switch it on. Poof! Pump dies from heat stroke, and I'm close behind.

Station has a coin op air pump. I rode over too it (in the hot sun). The damn chuck will not work with the Connie's valve stem - bad angle. my 90 degree extension is also back home in the tank bag. I ride a block to AutoZone and buy an adapter. It's a screw on type, no sure it will work but I'm desperate. No joy. Back to the shade to try my CO2 kit. I try all 5 cartridges. Thr chuck is leaking, I don't think any CO2 got in the tire. The console continues to say 24 psi.

Google Maps says a mechanic shop is 2.4 mile east. I limp over there. A young Asian kid asks if he can help, I ask if I can use his air pump. He says yes, he will fill my tire. A few minutes later I have 42 psi. "what do I owe ya"? "You don't owes us anything" "thanks, appreciate that".

25 miles to home. Console says 39 psi, 40 after a few miles. But eventually it sarts to fall. Halfway home I am at 37. Stop at a Valero and use a coin machine, this one fits! 45 psi. Roll into my driveway with 35.

Nothing really remarkable about my little adventure so far, right. Same has probably happened to most of us.
BUT WAIT TILL YOU SEE WHAT I PULLED OUT OF MY TIRE. I spotted brushed metal flush with the tread, I thout it was the head of a nail. I grabbed it with needle nose plyers.  and pulled. Pictures to come after dramatic pause.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3163 on: August 15, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3164 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3165 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
[pic]

Wow!  Actually, that is not the first time I have seen such a thing.  I have seen photos of socket heads also going into a tire.  The amount of "bad luck" to have it thrown up in just the right way to allow it to actually enter the tire seems staggering.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #3166 on: August 15, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »
I've been looking for that all day!
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3167 on: August 15, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »
I've been looking for that all day!
Dang sloppy wrench monkies! >:(

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3168 on: August 15, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »
Wow, I know Max says he has seen things like that, but it's a first for me!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3169 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :stirpot: :hitfan: :rotflmao:

soooooo... back in time, when that puppy dropped into the tire, before mounting it... and never made an effect till it poked thru from the inside (which it looks like it physically did), banging around/sliding around, prior to wedging up for the great ''finale'...

wow.
when ya pealed the carcass of, did the tps look banged Up?

hell, I always carry my pump, and plugs, and fresh glue.... but that is a double/triple gummy worm hole to seal, even with goobers of fresh glue on the road... and then, you still have to push it back inside like a ballsack hernia, before plugging..

DUDE, this goes down in the annals of COG tire history...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #3170 on: August 15, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
Silver lining: you got a free extension.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3171 on: August 15, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
Yeah, a souvenir extension. I'll pull the tire when the new one gets here. How the back end of an extension could puncture my tire is beyond me. But seems more likely than the other scenario. Tire went 4500 miles before this happened. But anything is possible. I routinely rotate the rear tire to check for driveshaft noise, would have heard an extension bouncing around. Probably.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3172 on: August 15, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
Wow, I know Max says he has seen things like that, but it's a first for me!

Only in postings on the 'net... not in person.  I have to admit, that is, by far, the largest embedded object I have heard of, to day.  He does deserve SOME type of prize, for sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #3173 on: August 15, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
Yikes!  Double Yikes!!  I am so happy that the offending chunk of steel didn't do something really bad.  Time to buy a stack of lottery tickets!!!

BTW, Yours is bigger.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3174 on: August 15, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Rubber is weird ****.  Plant thorns routinely puncture my bicycle tires. Everyfuckingthing punctures my Crocks, and makes my feet  bleed. Tires with good traction (and crocks) are apparently made with very soft rubber.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3175 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22:33 AM »
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :stirpot: :hitfan: :rotflmao:

soooooo... back in time, when that puppy dropped into the tire, before mounting it... and never made an effect till it poked thru from the inside (which it looks like it physically did), banging around/sliding around, prior to wedging up for the great ''finale'...

I understand the thinking here, but I don't think that is what happened. Pretty sure that would be noticed during balancing and or during driveshaft inspection, and certainly it would have been noticeably unbalanced when going down the highway. I had a pointy lag bolt puncture my rear tire when the bike was 40 miles new, turned out to be a blunt ended machine bolt upon removal. It makes me think that a socket extension can in fact be pushed through a tire wrong way in. Mine went "pop" just like Bob's did.
I placed my bolt in the tool bag, and for over 70k miles it's scared all the other potential punctures away. I suggest you do the same Bob with that extension, at least yours looks like it's supposed to be in the tool bag.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3176 on: August 16, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
Rubber is weird ****.  Plant thorns routinely puncture my bicycle tires. Everyfuckingthing punctures my Crocks, and makes my feet  bleed. Tires with good traction (and crocks) are apparently made with very soft rubber.
You either have some really long thorns where you live or you need some new crocks that are not as compressed!

Do it quick, they are shutting down their last factory for some reason!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3177 on: August 16, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
I rode home safely with the extension in my tire repair kit. I took it out of the kit at home, fetching my tire tools to try another plug. When I tried a 3rd plug the first two fell inside and any further attempts to plug were fruitless.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3178 on: August 16, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »
That is truly unbelievable Bob. ?? ?? I cannot imagine how that thing got through the tire from either side (inside or outside). Frankly, that is amazing.

It would seem that it almost <had> to come into the tire from the outside because without the bike's weight 'helping' push it in (Easy Boys!) I cannot see how enough force could be generated on that extension to drive it through from the inside. That said, I am having a hard time imagining that that thing was sticking up from the road, got caught between the rolling front tire and the road, and them managed to be driven into and through the tire without you noticing something odd such as the bike acting like you hit a speed bump, or making a sudden 'stage- left' or 'stage- right' exit or something.

It is also surprising that riding did not drive the extension back into the inside of the tire, effectively giving you almost instant tire deflation.

So that photo and story will just have go into the 'I saw it and yet still cannot believe it can be done' category. Sort of like Jerry Miculek in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw  I have watched that video a number of times and am still sure that it just cannot be done even after seeing it.  :o :yikes:

Brian

Yeah, a souvenir extension. I'll pull the tire when the new one gets here. How the back end of an extension could puncture my tire is beyond me. But seems more likely than the other scenario. Tire went 4500 miles before this happened. But anything is possible. I routinely rotate the rear tire to check for driveshaft noise, would have heard an extension bouncing around. Probably.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3179 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
I cannot see how enough force could be generated on that extension to drive it through from the inside. That said, I am having a hard time imagining that that thing was sticking up from the road, got caught between the rolling front tire and the road, and them managed to be driven into and through the tire without you noticing something odd such as the bike acting like you hit a speed bump, or making a sudden 'stage- left' or 'stage- right' exit or something.

Well, I don't think that is what happened. Bob said he felt it in the front end, but it was the rear tire that got punctured correct?
I mean he felt it when he ran over it with the front wheel which then popped it up off the ground and then rear wheel came along and both from bike weight and the power driving of the rear wheel forced it through the tire. Correct?  ::)
Granted the large end of a 1/4 inch extension is about .475" +/- ? but that's only .100" larger than the flat ended 3/8" machine bolt that I pushed through mine.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:44:47 AM by fartymarty »