Author Topic: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue  (Read 52029 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Rear Brake/ABS Pump issue
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
So I have put the ABS meter cluster back on my ABS 08 (complete with the handlebar function swith mod) Yellow light comes on when I start engine and goes off as soon as I am under way. Almost got creamed by a lady in a compacy wanting to use the same section of turning lane as me and I THINK I got one little abs hit. Flushed 6 reservoirs full of DOT 4. Stuff coming out looked same as stuff going in.

However, I can't see how this exercise does anything for the abs pump contents and I can find nothing in the manual about
the unit other than trouble shooting and R&R.

+1.

lather, ABS is a good thing when it works as designed - HELL, brakes are a good thing when they work as designed, which they do not if you have this failure. 

OFF TOPIC

(Regarding the yellow ABS lamp which you don't have at present, I've read on a Triumph forum that when an owner fitted ABS to his non-ABS bike from a donor bike of the same model which came with ABS he had the same problem - no yellow ABS lamp on his cluster.  IIRC he found that his non-ABS cluster actually had the circuitry of the yellow lamp but was covered over by the speedo clock face.  I don't remember how he solved his problem tho, sorry.)
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
Flushing does nothing for the fluid within the valves and pump area of the unit as you say lather.  Some folks, after flushing the system, take the bike out and activate both front & rear ABS systems then do another flush.  That's probably the best one can do.  The Triumphs I mentioned can have the ABS unit flushed by using the 'dealer tool' to cycle the ABS valves while flushing - same with Can-Am Spyder. 
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »
And that is probably a good idea....cycling (pun intended) the valves by initiating a full on stop.  At least they're moving the solenoids.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
Well, that's a new twist in the discussion.  Keep us posted please.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »
2008 C14 and had the brakes flushed by dealer last week. Hadn’t done the flush in years and it was desperately needed as front brake failed (no pressure in lever). While riding home from dealer, after complete brake flush front and rear, no ABS. I was able to skid rear tire. Did the same to front tire, much more carefully as I wanted to live to share this story, and no ABS, tire locked up. I called the dealer when I got home and advised them of issue. They asked if warning light was activated on dash, which it wasn’t. They said to ride it for a while and see if it self corrects. I upped my life insurance policy and told the wife to sue K if I drop it. We’ll see how this goes. I’m going to call them back and ask about K replacing ABS pump as mentioned in this post. The brakes do work though, just no ABS feature. Fortunately, I’ve had plenty of time on non ABS bikes.

Firstly...if it was the service manager that told you 'just ride it awhile' this needs to be brought to the franchise owners notice. If you get the same reaction you need to escalate the situation to a Kawasaki regional rep. You were basically told to screw off and that the factory safety equipment wasn't important. This reaction from the dealers is unwarranted and unacceptable.

Secondly...regardless of the outcome, I would be looking for a different dealer. Good luck and stay in touch.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:25:05 PM by gPink »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2019, 05:51:37 PM »
Been about a week....How's the ABS?     :popcorn:

Offline KawaCon08

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
I recently had new tires put on my 08 Connie at the local Kawasaki dealership. Rear ABS worked fine until they changed my tire. Went to pick the bike up and had no rear brakes. Of course they diagnosed it as rear ABS failure and quoted me $1500 + labor. After a long battle with the dealership, they agreed to pay half. My OOP was $1100. Had a buddy with the same bike call me with rear ABS failure and his dealership went through Kawasaki to pick up the tab. I called my dealership with the news and they were able to do the same. I have on 08 with 34k miles. Kawasaki picked up the tab and did the right thing. I’m a Kawasaki customer for life.
If you’re experiencing rear ABS failure, I encourage you to have your dealer go through their Kawasaki rep for reimbursement.
Stay safe!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »
  :banana  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »
I recently had new tires put on my 08 Connie at the local Kawasaki dealership. Rear ABS worked fine until they changed my tire. Went to pick the bike up and had no rear brakes. Of course they diagnosed it as rear ABS failure and quoted me $1500 + labor. After a long battle with the dealership, they agreed to pay half. My OOP was $1100. Had a buddy with the same bike call me with rear ABS failure and his dealership went through Kawasaki to pick up the tab. I called my dealership with the news and they were able to do the same. I have on 08 with 34k miles. Kawasaki picked up the tab and did the right thing. I’m a Kawasaki customer for life.
If you’re experiencing rear ABS failure, I encourage you to have your dealer go through their Kawasaki rep for reimbursement.
Stay safe!

I have to ask. How long have you owned the '08? Have you done regular brake flushes on the bike, every two years or so?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
my 08 Connie [...]Had a buddy with the same bike call me with rear ABS failure and his dealership went through Kawasaki to pick up the tab. I called my dealership with the news and they were able to do the same. I have on 08 with 34k miles. Kawasaki picked up the tab and did the right thing. I’m a Kawasaki customer for life.

That is, indeed, great.  Kawasaki isn't under any obligation to provide parts or service outside of the warranty period.  Nobody should even expect it.  Especially THAT FAR out of warranty (I assume you didn't even have any past extended warranties?)  But there are times when stepping up and doing something nice really pays back in the long run.  It creates good will and loyal customers.  It is true that bad news spreads faster, wider, and longer than good news, but good news does spread.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
I agree, please post up the dealer so we can all say a praising word for him.. in the eys of the Kaw community, I have seen 100 dealers just blow people off,  compared to the one that actually stepped up to the plate, and did due diligence, to increase the customer / owner level of satisfaction..

MANY Kudo's to that dealer..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
Sorry to revive this old thread, but reading through it gave me hope for my 09’s rear brake. It has all the signs of stuck valve in the ABS unit. I got a bit frustrated a few days ago and jumped on the brake pedal a bit too hard. The pedal snapped off. I pulled the rest of the pedal and I’ll take the pieces in to work tomorrow and get them welded back together. The pics and comments in this thread give me great hope I can fix this myself. I let my extended warranty run out a couple years ago and I couldn’t find a replacement unit on eBay. I was actually thinking about removing the unit altogether and go back to non abs brakes. I’ll pick up a bleeder and a couple cans of brake fluid tomorrow after work. I’m off Friday so it will be my main project for the day!
Thank you for the pics and directions.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Freddy

« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »
Too late for bleed & flush now.  If it's not a pebble stuck in the lever it will need another unit.  The European series 1 ZZR1400 2007-11 (ZX1400 pre traction control) is a straight swap if you can't find a series 1 ZG1400 unit.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2020, 06:30:42 PM »
Too late for bleed & flush now.  If it's not a pebble stuck in the lever it will need another unit.  The European series 1 ZZR1400 2007-11 (ZX1400 pre traction control) is a straight swap if you can't find a series 1 ZG1400 unit.

I’m confused 🤷‍♂️. Why can’t I free up the valves like jamiemac did?
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Freddy

« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2020, 06:39:49 PM »
If you're as smart as jamie, perhaps you can.   ;D

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2020, 12:36:28 PM »
If you're as smart as jamie, perhaps you can.   ;D

Apparently I’m not as sharp as Jamie! I got all four solenoids moving freely but still not allowing fluid to flow both directions. One direction it flows easily but the other way it won’t flow at all. Must be some kind of check valve that will allow the caliper to bleed off. I’m guessing one of the spool valves are still stuck. I hate to pull those snap rings but not looking like any other options right now.
If anyone has any other ideas I’m happy to listen! There are a few ZX14 units on eBay that I could buy and swap out with my electronics. They are the correct 4 port bodies. I really just want to get this one fixed, kind of a challenge at this point.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Freddy

« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »
Matt, I'm gald you took no offence at my tounge-in-cheek comment.   :chugbeer:

Those tiny snap rings must be removed to free up the valves; there is no check valve within - just don't damage the bore.  Or get a ZX14 unit as you say and fit the ABS ECU from your bike to it.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2020, 06:50:32 PM »
I pulled the snap rings covering the caps on the ends. I thought those were covering some spool valves but as best I can tell one covered as best I can tell a reservoir and the other is a check valve. I’ll pull the ones over the solenoid valves tomorrow.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2020, 08:31:46 PM »
Just curious, does the collective here know specifically which solenoid valve it is that gets stuck?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Freddy

« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2020, 05:52:17 AM »
In Jamie's pic below it's the upper pair for the rear brake that you need to remove.  The snap ring ends are cut at an angle.  One end you can hook a fine instrument on to remove the clip, the other end you can't.  With the snap ring in place 1 valve moves about 1mm, the other something less.  Ensure the other pair (front) rotate and move; they require a small amount of effort to do so - more than I would have thought.

To state the obvious - ensure the hoses/pipes are refitted whence they came.  Refer to the parts pic below if in doubt.

https://www.kawasakionlineparts.com.au/partFinder/fiche/kawasaki/2009/zg1400-1400gtr/brake-piping#next

https://www.kawasakionlineparts.com.au/partFinder/fiche/kawasaki/2009/zg1400-1400gtr/rear-master-cylinder-1-2#next