Author Topic: lap around the Isles  (Read 2549 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
lap around the Isles
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
For those in Great Britain or that have been there, I'm a Southamerican living in Germany (Munich, to be precise) and I'm planning to do a little trip this spring, like every year, this time to the Isles. So far I sketched it as follows:

Day 1. Munich - Aachen (700 km)

Day 2. Aachen - Dunkerque (300 km + ferry to Dover) and then make my way through the south of England (Brighton, Midhurst, Winchester...)

Day 3. Still in England, make my way to Cardiff and then to Pembrocke, to cross to Ireland (ferry to Rosslare)

Day 4 to 10. A quick lap clockwise around Ireland with main stops in Belfast and Dublin, from which I intend to take the ferry to Heysham. A question remains as to whether I visit the Isle of Man or not, but once in Heysham I'd like to drive up north to Glasgow and Edinburgh, and then find a way back to Dover and to the continent.

My question for you guys is short (which entitles a long answer): suggestions? I think I pretty much know what I want to do in Ireland and it is somehow smaller, but Great Britain is bigger and I've been already in London a couple of times, so I'm asking mostly about Scotland and the east coast.

I do have a couple of English friends here at the office, but one of them is from London, so he considers everything outside it beyond interest  ;) and the other one is from Ipswich and he's never been away from it until he came to Germany  :o

Thanks for your time,
Martín
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

Re: lap around the Isles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
Wow Martin, this sounds fantastic!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Totally jealous! Have fun!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
Martin, I have traveled to Munich quite a bit on business (our office is in Feldkirchen) and have always wanted to rent a bike and ride the area a bit. Would love any suggestions as to where are the best rides within a day or so of Munich.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:07:25 AM »
Martin, I have traveled to Munich quite a bit on business (our office is in Feldkirchen) and have always wanted to rent a bike and ride the area a bit. Would love any suggestions as to where are the best rides within a day or so of Munich.

Easy! go south! You can reach Italy in 2-3 hours and hit the Alps. Nothing beats that! Forget Austrian Alps, too many speed cameras. I should have a flat rate: All-You-Can-Flash for 899.95! :banghead:
Let me know in advance when you plan coming, maybe we can do something, or at least I can give you more concrete ideas about where to drive. I also know a few alternatives regarding renting a motorcycle.
Since these countries are so small, 1 day radius from Munich has put me as far as Warsaw, Budapest, Zagreb or Rome. If I start early in the morning, I can have lunch in Vienna, Zürich or Verona, which I've done a few times.
I don't like living in Germany, but I have to admit that Munich is very conveniently located for getaways.

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
Hi Martin, thanks for the PM sorry I was at work  :( Try posting on http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/ Have you got a SatNav? What form would you like routes? I'm no expert on Ireland or Scotland (or Southern England) but I could probably hep with Northern England  :) http://g.co/maps/ez369
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »

If you want a shorter route and great sights you could make a trip to Garmisch Partenkirchen (50-60 miles from Munchen/Munich).  This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever had the pleasure of visiting.  You could also ride a gondola up to the Zugspitze.

The most beautiful place I have ever seen is the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden, which is about a 100 mile trip from Munich.  You could see both in the same day and still be back for a late supper. 

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:48:02 AM »
Hi Martin, thanks for the PM sorry I was at work  :( Try posting on http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/ Have you got a SatNav? What form would you like routes? I'm no expert on Ireland or Scotland (or Southern England) but I could probably hep with Northern England  :) http://g.co/maps/ez369

will do. Thanks!