Author Topic: Got snow!  (Read 10736 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Got snow!
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 04:52:56 PM »
Gettin' kinda testy again eh MOB?...over snow?  ???  Someone put a potato in your snowblower exhaust or sumthin'?  :)

nahhhh
just bustin' balls...
I was born and raised on the shore of Lake Erie, home of Lake effect snow, and below zero temps for days (or sometimes a full month..) every few years..
we moved to Richmond for my job back in '01, pretty much gave up the "winter supplies" like mega cold wear gear, snow blower, etc., and found that Richmond area was very ignorant as to what a few days of inclement weather had, as for effecting movement and life...  That silly joke about Milk and Bread, ain't a joke there, it's a reality, driven by the weather forecasters when they say "we may get 2" of snow".... OMG... they close schools, and go into panic mode... but, do you think anyone would ever reduce thier speed on a road by 5 mph, just as a semblence of being a safe driver? nnoooooooo way... drive like you just got the Green flag on a Nascar race... pass everyone, drive like a maniac... it's really hilarious for all of us that live "up north"... (by the way, now we are back here, I cannot say I would EVER miss another freaking Hurricane, or Tropical "storm"...screw dat..)   I could only endure it for 10 years... and had to "go Home"

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
(by the way, now we are back here, I cannot say I would EVER miss another freaking Hurricane, or Tropical "storm"...screw dat..)   I could only endure it for 10 years... and had to "go Home"

ROTFLOL  :rotflmao:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
ROTFLOL  :rotflmao:

and I know you remember Gaston, Charlie, and all the other storms in Va. from 2001 thru 2011...  Richmond got ravaged... and I'm glad to be back in the snow belt...
yes, it's all funny till you are in the middle of that cluster fark...
tropical storm, an hour inland from the ocean where I lived in Hanover Va., ohhhhh no problem.. yeah right... tree fell on my barn, with my bikes inside.. digging for those photos, but in the aftermath of Gaston, I took my Z bike out to find viable roads... there weren't any... I had to travel 5 miles north, to go anywhere south, east, or west... truly sucked donkeyballlz...

took almost 5 months for the repairs to make acceptable passage to work... man.
first pic was where a woman perished, as her car was carried UPSTREAM from a bridge collapse where I turned around and backtracked from.. the second pic is the actual bridge on 301, that was lifted completely off the stanchions, and was bouncing up and down as I approached and turned around...  I stopped, and blocked the road, lit flares, and backtracked... and notified the sherriff's of what I saw... mind you, this was during the height of the storm, and it was completely dark.... I never knew the woman in the car was there, and there was another drowning in a vehicle which I passed escaping the area.. which I never knew about either of which, till the next day.. godspeed to them... the rest are carnage...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
 a little more

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
AND today near 70.  Yet the snow/ice still not completely melted.  Tomorrow?  Rain.  Then gloomy.  And Monday when I go to RIC and have to spend a lot of time outside?  FREAKING COLD!  I think I will finally get a bike ride on Sat.

They are already now calling for snow on Wednesday.  Rinse and repeat?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
AND today near 70.  Yet the snow/ice still not completely melted.  Tomorrow?  Rain.  Then gloomy.  And Monday when I go to RIC and have to spend a lot of time outside?  FREAKING COLD!  I think I will finally get a bike ride on Sat.

I hear ya bro... we been in single digits mostly since christmas, then it warmed... then today we hit almost 60*... and tomorrow, when I go pick momma up from the airport, we will be in the middle of an epic ice/sleet/ snow storm, supposedly slamming us with another 8-10" over night... go figure... today was like spring, all my snow was melted... saturday morn, I'll be running the snowblower again, awaiting single digits...

fark.

Semper Fi...

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully, the rain will wash away all the salt and sand on the roads so I can get a ride in on Saturday. I've only got 250 miles on my Connie in 3 weeks that I've owned it. It is killing me to just have it sitting in the garage! When I bought my Magnum, I finished the break in miles and the first oil change the first weekend I owned it. The second weekend, I installed intake, cams, exhaust, timing wheel, PCV, had it dyno tuned, Along with several other mods. This weather sucks!!!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
I waited around yesterday for the roads to dry up after the rain, then got a short ride in. High temp for the day was around 60 at sunrise and dropped to 17 at night. Only rode about 120 miles before the temps dropped to the point it was unbearable. At least I got some riding in tho! The ODO is up to 370 miles now. Can't wait until we get some warm days for riding!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
I waited around yesterday for the roads to dry up after the rain, then got a short ride in. High temp for the day was around 60 at sunrise and dropped to 17 at night. Only rode about 120 miles before the temps dropped to the point it was unbearable. At least I got some riding in tho! The ODO is up to 370 miles now. Can't wait until we get some warm days for riding!

Yep.  Here yesterday I woke to sunny and 65F!!  The hard rain the previous days had cleared everything and most stuff dry.  Did a few chores and took a shower.  When I was done, suddenly the temperate had plunged 20 degrees, it was dark, and very windy.  By the time I could have taken a ride, it just got worse (below freezing) and I didn't bother.  :(

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 03:46:56 PM »
Yup.  Same here - we had some unseasonably warn weather near the end of last week... 

I think we may have actually gotten as high as +1 or +2 degrees C (34 F) a couple times before it started getting back to normal -10 to -15.

Crazy, I know.  My neighbour called me a liar. I have to admit that my measurement method was extremely unorthodox and entirely unofficial - the thermometer was in the sun, protected from any wind. 

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Had my first "snow day" here in Austin TX. They actually closed the building. Of course it was more about ice than snow but we did get some snow. High of 25 at my house. And the storm last night sounded like I was back in Colorado.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
Ug, they are calling for snow here tomorrow.  But it looks like just several hours.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »
Here too but we measure our snow in inches  / feet and they are only calling for 3".

:-)

My youngest son lives in northern VA and refuses to buy a snow shovel. They had one storm that they had to dig out with a..... dustpan. About 6" to 8". And he still refuses to buy a snow shovel so I am waiting to see how tough (or is it stupid?) he really is?  ;D

Just got new style skids for my snowblower and I am hoping these things do the trick. Crushed stone driveway and the small skids catch, bounce and dig in all over the place. New ones are a foot long and so should bridge several rock edges and make something of an 'average' out of it.

Brian

Ug, they are calling for snow here tomorrow.  But it looks like just several hours.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
Here too but we measure our snow in inches  / feet and they are only calling for 3".

:-)

My youngest son lives in northern VA and refuses to buy a snow shovel. They had one storm that they had to dig out with a..... dustpan. About 6" to 8". And he still refuses to buy a snow shovel so I am waiting to see how tough (or is it stupid?) he really is?  ;D

Brian

Not having a snow shovel in VA is not really a big issue as long as you stock up on bread and milk.

Hahaha! Sorry, couldn't resist. Honestly tho, it isn't that big of a deal. The snow never last long due to the big temperature shifts we have here all winter long. EVERYTHING closes and very few venture out. Most places don't reopen until the snow is gone. (No, that wasn't a typo) once the snow melts, they re-open. 3" of snow can shut down schools for an entire week! It's insane! He will be fine with the dustpan. No need to shovel when there is no where to go.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »
Well he had to shovel to get two cars out for he and his wife to go to work, so not <everything> was closed.

But yeah, snow is one of those things that varies hugely depending on where a person is; I have relatives in northern VT and they eat through 2' snowfalls and go to work. Two feet would shut us down here in RI, but we can deal with 8" to 10" OK, and that same amount would devastate VA and all of the southern seaboard states. So everything is relative.

By the way, the folks I know in VT has a snowblower with dualies on it- never even saw one of those around here. That thing must be 50" + wide, and by the end of the season, they literally run out of places to put the snow they are moving from the driveway, walks, etc.

Brian

Not having a snow shovel in VA is not really a big issue as long as you stock up on bread and milk.

Hahaha! Sorry, couldn't resist. Honestly tho, it isn't that big of a deal. The snow never last long due to the big temperature shifts we have here all winter long. EVERYTHING closes and very few venture out. Most places don't reopen until the snow is gone. (No, that wasn't a typo) once the snow melts, they re-open. 3" of snow can shut down schools for an entire week! It's insane! He will be fine with the dustpan. No need to shovel when there is no where to go.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »
2nd heavy snow in the Bayou State this winter. I think that is a first in my lifetime, at least the 60 years I remember of it. Historically we get snow once every 3 or four years.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »

Here they have already speculatively closed all the schools!  The nightmare projection?  1-2", maybe.

BTW- it flurried on my way to RIC on Monday... very unexpected, not a word I saw about it in the forecast.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:05 AM »
650 homes without power here and many schools closed today, about 4" snow fell yesterday evening when I took this slightly out of focus picture of our back garden....more snow fell over night and even more forecast today and tomorrow

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »
Schools closed in King George but the roads appear to be ok.  Sand and salt have done their work. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
Snowing here now, finally.  Started at about 4 and have an inch so far.  Walked home from work and then used my umbrella to pull the snow off the motorcycle tent.