Author Topic: Got snow!  (Read 10730 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Got snow!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
This is where / when 4WD, especially with a low- range transfer case, comes in handy. My wife's car will not move but mine will.

Normally I blow the snow out of the driveway but between the low temps. and extreme wind, I am ignoring it for a couple of days. It <might> be sufficiently calm tomorrow to clean things up. Nothing worse than blowing powdery snow on a windy day 'cause about a third of everything that goes through the blower goes down the user's neck, or so it seems.

Brian

When it originally fell, it was a mix, so it froze solid on the bottom.  I simply don't have the energy (or correct tools) to remove it.  My driveway is short but steep and has a particularly difficult connection to the road, which is also not clear, and there is also a buried park car on the opposite side of the street.   G37S is rear-wheel drive with little ground clearance.   I have been stuck trying to get out of the driveway in the past in similar conditions.

So I am just not desperate enough to expend the energy or take the risk.  So, stuck I am!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »
I made a killing going door to door shoveling snow. How else was a poor farm kid going to make money to pay for dirt bikes and parts?!?!

Farms must have been different then? I recall them being far apart, and the door to door thing would have been a 20 mile hike for maybe 10 doors.

Now in the urban areas, we* (*poor urban kids needing alley minibike money) already had a job delivering newspapers door to door in the snow that wasn't shoveled yet. We had big carts with 36" wheels and when those wouldn't go (they went pretty well as they had skinny wheels and high clearance {similar to, but much better than, these}), we had some sleds. I only had to use a sled on one day. I hated the sled because it would only hold about one fifth of my route before it would sink too far in the snow, so it required 4 extra trips back to the "barn" (a big city commercial garage really) to reload. The next time a sled day occurred I took half a load out in the cart then came back and reloaded just once. I finished before all the others(all using sleds) by 90 minutes and I was the only one from our "barn" to get to school on time that day. To the best of my knowledge they stacked up the sleds and didn't use them again after that.
 Now I think the papers there are all* (*probably not that many, as newspapers seem to be dying out as it seems only old people read them) delivered by adults in SUVs.

When I was a kid... (wait, I must be getting old. I'm telling "when I was a kid" stories!)
Welcome to the club, you young whippersnapper!  :chugbeer:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
Farms must have been different then? I recall them being far apart, and the door to door thing would have been a 20 mile hike for maybe 10 doors.

Now in the urban areas, we* (*poor urban kids needing alley minibike money) already had a job delivering newspapers door to door in the snow that wasn't shoveled yet. We had big carts with 36" wheels and when those wouldn't go (they went pretty well as they had skinny wheels and high clearance {similar to, but much better than, these}), we had some sleds. I only had to use a sled on one day. I hated the sled because it would only hold about one fifth of my route before it would sink too far in the snow, so it required 4 extra trips back to the "barn" (a big city commercial garage really) to reload. The next time a sled day occurred I took half a load out in the cart then came back and reloaded just once. I finished before all the others(all using sleds) by 90 minutes and I was the only one from our "barn" to get to school on time that day. To the best of my knowledge they stacked up the sleds and didn't use them again after that.
 Now I think the papers there are all* (*probably not that many, as newspapers seem to be dying out as it seems only old people read them) delivered by adults in SUVs.
Welcome to the club, you young whippersnapper!  :chugbeer:

Farm was just out side the "city limits" of a small farm town (population 2700). My family didn't own the farm, but I worked on it growing up before we moved into the small farm town. Still did some occasional work there after we moved into town when I wasn't mowing lawns, detasselling corn, and other side jobs.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
Detasseling corn?  You sound like a central ILL-inois boy.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »
Detasseling corn?  You sound like a central ILL-inois boy.

Exactly!

I grew up between the corn field and the soybean field.  :rotflmao:  I was only a stones throw from the geographical center of Illinois. Left as soon as I finished high school. I go back occasionally to visit family that still live there.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »
McLean and Woodford for me. Further south now...don't get back much.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
McLean and Woodford for me. Further south now...don't get back much.

Mason County here.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:15 PM »
bought the el cheapo Troy blower in 2011 when we moved back to the land of "lake effect" snows, and never had an issue with it...   so other than fuel, I have about $90 per year invested in my machine, which starts first time everytime...
love the fact it's a "plug in" starter, simply plug the end of my extension cord directly into a shielded set of blades, push the throttle lever, pump the bulb 5 times, and hit the button... vrooooooom...
love it.
we got blasted a couple times last year, and since christmas this year i think we had an accumulation of about 18"... childs play for the machine....
I even cut pathways thru the yard, so the dog can get out and poop away from the house... she is getting old.. and can't get thru the snow....

last years snow...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
this year is much colder... we just got above 0*, and will have a heat wave this week, getting into 20* zone tomorrow... after single digits or negative ones, for the last week and a half...

new years eve picture of snow...wasn't too bad...

SO much for my "pepper garden"..hehehehehh

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:13 PM »
What is this snow stuff you fellas keep mentioning?

Signed, I rode every day this week.  8)

PS - danged glad we're not retired and living in SW Va yet.
IBA #18591

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 06:18:32 AM »
this year is much colder... we just got above 0*, and will have a heat wave this week, getting into 20* zone tomorrow... after single digits or negative ones, for the last week and a half...

new years eve picture of snow...wasn't too bad...

SO much for my "pepper garden"..hehehehehh

Your pepper garden will be fine.   Snow is the poor man's fertilizer, according to the Old Farmer's Almanac.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »
What is this snow stuff you fellas keep mentioning?

Signed, I rode every day this week.  8)

PS - danged glad we're not retired and living in SW Va yet.

Worst I ever saw, living there north of Richmond, was about 15"-18" dump, Once, and gone in 4 days...
youre safe in SW Va., for sure...

just remember, don't go for milk, bread, or breakfast foods during an Ice storm... go buy gasoline, and Liquor...and beer, propane tank fills,  and snack foods... before the power goes off.....

living next to Caroline Cty Prison, my power was never out longer than 10 hours or so, even during hurricanes and schmutz....   living in the boondocks we learned quickly to fill a couple 25 gallon toters in the bathtub, for toilet flushing water and such, and keep our "bugout" campstove/lanterns/propane cylinders/and chainsaw gas ready and accessable...at all times, and if a hurricane was blowing in, a gallon of booze and two bags of ice.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 01:06:30 PM »
This article was originally published in January 2010. The forecast information is not correct, but Richmonders' reaction to any snow on the way is.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch and every meteorologist in town, Richmond is going to get a nice snowfall this weekend … up to a foot, some people say.  (You can find the latest forecast here).

In case you're new to Richmond, let me tell you how we do it here.

Someone somewhere says snow is coming to Central Virginia.
We Richmonders start paying attention.
Someone says it's coming to Richmond.
We Richmonders really start paying attention.
Someone brandishes the word "accumulation."
Done. Finished. Over. We who call Richmond home all-out lose our minds. In the case of this snow, it happens like this:

Tuesday morning: The word "accumulation" is used.

Tuesday afternoon: Accumulation confirmed. All weekend plans put on stand-by or out-right canceled.

Tuesday evening: First trip to supermarket for bread, milk, wine, beer and cookie dough.

Wednesday morning / afternoon: Calls around town for sleds begin (for the record, Richmond.com is one step ahead. No one has them; Pleasant's is expecting a shipment on Friday).

Wednesday evening: Local news does a story about the run on supermarkets for bread and milk. Second trip to supermarket for extra bread and milk, plus frozen pizzas and non-perishables, because you never know.

Thursday morning / afternoon: Spend workday obsessively checking the forecast. More calls for sleds. Search online for sleds, but decide against them because you can't believe how much sleds actually cost.

Thursday evening: Meet friends out for drinks or dinner because you never know when you'll get out again. Realize you forgot to buy bagels. How could you forget bagels? Third trip to supermarket.

Friday morning: Alternate staring out window for snow and consulting forecast for exact snow start time. Cancel the rest of weekend plans.

Friday afternoon: Weather.com reports that it is snowing in your area. Run to window. Spend at least one hour yelling at weather.com because it is clearly not snowing. Ask boss about company inclement weather policy. Complain about said policy. Wait an hour; ask boss if company is closing early.

Friday evening: Fourth trip to supermarket on the way home for last-minute necessities, like chocolate and fancy hot cocoa. Alternate staring out window and watching local news for exact snow start time. Watch the Closings scroll to see if your work is closed on Monday, because you never know.

Friday night: Snow finally begins. Call/text all of your friends and family to see if it's snowing in their area and to make sure they're OK in the storm. Update Facebook status to reflect snowfall in case you missed anyone. Order pizza so you don't have to break into rations too soon.

Saturday morning: Marvel at snowfall. Fling pets / children into the snow so they can marvel and so you have pictures for your Facebook page.

Saturday afternoon: Drive or trudge to nearest hill and attempt to sled on a cookie sheet/shower curtain/trashcan lid/pool float.

Saturday evening: Meet friends for out for drinks or dinner to celebrate snow.

Sunday: Eat leftover pizza and stare out window, watching snow melt. Obsessively watch Closings list. Feel happy when the county you once lived in announces closing and then sad because you never became a teacher and now you have to go out, clean off the car and then go to work tomorrow. Plus you've got all that bread and milk to eat.

This article was originally published in January 2010. The forecast information is not correct, but Richmonders reaction to any snow on the way is.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
Yes sir, lived in Asheville NC during a couple of blizzards. More than 20' of the white stuff combined with the wind made it interesting, it took 4 days to get out of the neighborhood. In Houston now (again) and now all about hurricane, or even just flood, survival. Ike in 2008 we were without water for 5 days and power for a week, areas a mile from us were without for 2+ weeks.  :yikes:
IBA #18591

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
This article was originally published in January 2010. The forecast information is not correct, but Richmonders' reaction to any snow on the way is.

According to the Richmond Times-Dispatch and every meteorologist in town, Richmond is going to get a nice snowfall this weekend … up to a foot, some people say.  (You can find the latest forecast here).

In case you're new to Richmond, let me tell you how we do it here.

Someone somewhere says snow is coming to Central Virginia.
We Richmonders start paying attention.
Someone says it's coming to Richmond.
We Richmonders really start paying attention.
Someone brandishes the word "accumulation."
Done. Finished. Over. We who call Richmond home all-out lose our minds. In the case of this snow, it happens like this:

Tuesday morning: The word "accumulation" is used.

Tuesday afternoon: Accumulation confirmed. All weekend plans put on stand-by or out-right canceled.

Tuesday evening: First trip to supermarket for bread, milk, wine, beer and cookie dough.

Wednesday morning / afternoon: Calls around town for sleds begin (for the record, Richmond.com is one step ahead. No one has them; Pleasant's is expecting a shipment on Friday).

Wednesday evening: Local news does a story about the run on supermarkets for bread and milk. Second trip to supermarket for extra bread and milk, plus frozen pizzas and non-perishables, because you never know.

Thursday morning / afternoon: Spend workday obsessively checking the forecast. More calls for sleds. Search online for sleds, but decide against them because you can't believe how much sleds actually cost.

Thursday evening: Meet friends out for drinks or dinner because you never know when you'll get out again. Realize you forgot to buy bagels. How could you forget bagels? Third trip to supermarket.

Friday morning: Alternate staring out window for snow and consulting forecast for exact snow start time. Cancel the rest of weekend plans.

Friday afternoon: Weather.com reports that it is snowing in your area. Run to window. Spend at least one hour yelling at weather.com because it is clearly not snowing. Ask boss about company inclement weather policy. Complain about said policy. Wait an hour; ask boss if company is closing early.

Friday evening: Fourth trip to supermarket on the way home for last-minute necessities, like chocolate and fancy hot cocoa. Alternate staring out window and watching local news for exact snow start time. Watch the Closings scroll to see if your work is closed on Monday, because you never know.

Friday night: Snow finally begins. Call/text all of your friends and family to see if it's snowing in their area and to make sure they're OK in the storm. Update Facebook status to reflect snowfall in case you missed anyone. Order pizza so you don't have to break into rations too soon.

Saturday morning: Marvel at snowfall. Fling pets / children into the snow so they can marvel and so you have pictures for your Facebook page.

Saturday afternoon: Drive or trudge to nearest hill and attempt to sled on a cookie sheet/shower curtain/trashcan lid/pool float.

Saturday evening: Meet friends for out for drinks or dinner to celebrate snow.

Sunday: Eat leftover pizza and stare out window, watching snow melt. Obsessively watch Closings list. Feel happy when the county you once lived in announces closing and then sad because you never became a teacher and now you have to go out, clean off the car and then go to work tomorrow. Plus you've got all that bread and milk to eat.

This article was originally published in January 2010. The forecast information is not correct, but Richmonders reaction to any snow on the way is.

I guess you missed the part about buyin a gallon of liquor, and going home.. maybe some hotdogs and buns picked up also.... and cut some woood in the "back yard."

f'ing virginian's just don't get it...
a) 75 MPH ain't gonna work butt wipes...
b) get cigs, and anything that will be cashed out thru a register, BEFORE the power goes out...
c) Richmond weather forecasters are total douches//// and if you can actually get the richmond forcast on satellite, out "yonder" good luck... they never had a clue about the flooding in the "bottom".. oh yah. a'holes..

d) when this weather hits... grab a rifle, go out and kill animals... you don't need a license, just kill them, bring them home... and eat them... mmmmmm best cooked over an open fire... which you constructed from firewood you cut with your chainsaw, and are all standing around to keep warm..  mmmmm

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
I guess you missed the part about buyin a gallon of liquor, and going home.. maybe some hotdogs and buns picked up also.... and cut some woood in the "back yard."

f'ing virginian's just don't get it...
a) 75 MPH ain't gonna work butt wipes...
b) get cigs, and anything that will be cashed out thru a register, BEFORE the power goes out...
c) Richmond weather forecasters are total douches//// and if you can actually get the richmond forcast on satellite, out "yonder" good luck... they never had a clue about the flooding in the "bottom".. oh yah. a'holes..

d) when this weather hits... grab a rifle, go out and kill animals... you don't need a license, just kill them, bring them home... and eat them... mmmmmm best cooked over an open fire... which you constructed from firewood you cut with your chainsaw, and are all standing around to keep warm..  mmmmm

Yeah, I get a good laugh every winter here. The way everything closes even before the first flake falls. My first winter here, everything closed because snow was forecasted. Never saw a single flake.

Same winter we got a light dusting and everything closed up early. I was a single parent at the time, so I took advantage of the time off to run some errands. Problem was, everything was closed. Stopped to buy groceries. Got everything I needed except bread and milk. Store was out of both. Stopped at another store. They were out too. Stopped off at a Ukrops. They were also out of both, but there was an employee working back by the dairy section. I told him that this was the third store I had stoped at and no one has any bread or milk. He looked at me like I had 3 heads and said sarcastically, "yeah... it's snowing". I then asked if the delivery truck had been in an accident. He just laughed and said "you're not from around here are you?"  He then explained the bread and milk issue here when it snows. That was the winter of 2000-2001. Personally, I still don't get it, but I've excepted that is the way things are here.

I lived close to the Illinois, Wisconsin border before I moved here. Last winter there, we got 36" of snow from Saturday night to Monday morning. NOTHING closed! There wasn't even a delayed start for school kids. Then I move to Richmond. Never thought there would be such a culture shock moving to a different part of the country.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
bwaaaahaaaaaa

WTF do you care about bread and Milk? really? WTF is with those people that buy that? they gonna make milk sammiches? i have no idea.... send the kids out to strangle rabbits, and squirrels... make them work.....mmmmmmmmm them cats are looking tasty.....ooooops sorry....... i always hit the frozen food section, bought crap in tin based containers like  lasagna and such, and oatmeal...

Virginians have no clue... sorry bro, it's a fact....
my "pet" Eagle had no conscious,,, it eats....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Someone brandishes the word "accumulation." Done. Finished. Over. We who call Richmond home all-out lose our minds.

As being born/raised in Richmond, I can attest that is true.  And it snows much more frequently in Richmond.... compared to Hampton Roads.  So as funny/crazy as it is in Richmond, it is 10 times worse here.  It usually only snows 2-3 times a year and it is usually (believe it or not) when it is ABOVE freezing, and it is gone quickly.  A snow that accumulates with several days of solid, sub-freezing temps paralyzes the entire region (which is what just happened).  And lord help us when it is freezing snows, then thaws and then RE freezes as sheets of ice.  We have so many bridges and tunnels and crap, and so few crews to deal with it, the situation just becomes hopeless.  Layer all that with tons of people/traffic and never ending road construction, and.... fun.

Anyway, temps in the 40's tomorrow and rain, so hopefully I will be "unstuck" from my house, soon.  Not that I really have to go anywhere... but there is something yucky about knowing you can't leave, even when you don't have the need.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2018, 05:00:37 PM »
bwaaaahaaaaaa

WTF do you care about bread and Milk? really? WTF is with those people that buy that? they gonna make milk sammiches? i have no idea.... send the kids out to strangle rabbits, and squirrels... make them work.....mmmmmmmmm them cats are looking tasty.....ooooops sorry....... i always hit the frozen food section, bought crap in tin based containers like  lasagna and such, and oatmeal...

my "pet" Eagle had no conscious,,, it eats....

I could care less about bread and milk. I'm good with those tin based frozen food products too. Power goes out, I'll cook on the wood stove. At the time, I was a single parent and my boys were in grade school. They liked thier cereal with milk in the morning. If it wasn't for them, I would have just gone home after the first store was out. If I had, I wouldn't have that story to tell tho.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:58:08 PM by Poseidon »
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
bwaaaahaaaaaa

WTF do you care about bread and Milk? really? WTF is with those people that buy that? they gonna make milk sammiches? i have no idea.... send the kids out to strangle rabbits, and squirrels... make them work.....mmmmmmmmm them cats are looking tasty....

Gettin' kinda testy again eh MOB?...over snow?  ???  Someone put a potato in your snowblower exhaust or sumthin'?  :)