Author Topic: Washington DC--get reimbursed for nails/screws in your tire  (Read 2667 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
So on a whim, I called the Mayor's hotline about filing a claim due to getting "nailed" (flat due to metal scraps) driving through a construction zone on Constitution Avenue.  They said "yup" and gave me the address of where to file a Tort Claim.  Said it would take about 30 days.  I was able to say "my kawi notified me the second I dropped from 41 to 27 PSI).  So bottomline, might get reimbursed for the Pr3 I had to buy within an hour of blowing out the old "new" one.  Will letcha know how it goes.  Oh, the address is http://orm.dc.gov if it pertains to any other washington beltway bandits.
Will

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Washington DC--get reimbursed for nails/screws in your tire
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:46 PM »
I'm assuming that you are required to provide the approximate area and day/time that the flat occurred. I would imagine that since this construction zone is heavily
monitored to the point that they can check a previous traffic video to see if you were there, and if your actions would be in accordance with your claim.
Now, I've been through that absolutely crazy maze of construction- completely nuts.. But if others attempt to place a claim without actually being there, they might
open Pandora's box with the DOCPD...
Good posting, and it's refreshing to see the city taking some sort of responsibility. Most cities won't.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:28 AM »
Right right...I'll be all over that traffic cam.  Hope the DO check.  since this posting they have contacted me and it seemed they are going to try and dispute the claim, saying I should claim against the contractor that was doing the work for them.  Geez...

Anyway, still waiting on an official answer back.  At this point I'm 3,000 miles into my new PR3 and loving it.  Also outfitted myself with a dynaplug kit and a portable pump...too much drama that morning without these little items.
Will

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »
The contractor will dispute... saying they did due diligence on their part keeping the street clean, and it could have been a screw/nail/object dropped by anyone traveling thru that area.  It'll be your burden to prove it was their nail that provided you with the flat.  BTDT.

Just preparing you for the next step...  ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!