Author Topic: I can't believe I'm writing this.  (Read 3568 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
I can't believe I'm writing this.
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
Forgive me for I have sinned...I let my girl down!  I work at a university, and had to deliver some material from one side of the campus to the other.  A distance of about a mile.  My bike had been parked for a couple of hours, but was 'cold'.  I fired her up, put on the lid, and ran across campus.  That took all of about 5 minutes including the stop light.  I dropped off the mail, and ran back out to my sweetie.

I put my lid on, hopped on her, fired her up.  I had parked nose up hill, so backing out was easy.  I dropped her in gear and started to pull off.  I was kind of rolling into a turn (had to make a 90 degree turn immediately to get out of the parking lot).  Just as I started to pull away and turn, she hesitated and died. 

All I could do was try to catch her with my leg.  Too heavy.  I held onto the bars, but I swear something was breaking.  I let her down easy, as she threw me over the top.  I landed on my side as I had to jump to move my leg.  Right there in front of God and everyone, I let her down.  I looked around, and snatched her back up.  I didn't even look for damage!  I didn't see broken pieces laying around and I split!

Back at my parking space (on the other side of campus) I surveyed the damage.  Got some scrapes on bottom the back case, and lower front fairing.  The mirror on the right side took a little scrape too.  Nothing bad at all, just scraped my pride.  I was sore for a day where I struggled to keep her up.

I NEVER thought I would EVER drop this bike!    She has this hesitation for a while.  I think I need to raise the idle a little.  I am so heartbroken!  What's worse, is shortly after that incident, I was tying some things on the passenger seat, and they fell and dented my gas tank!  I vowed that she isn't going to turn into my work truck.  I had it from new, cleaned it about every day.  Then it got a dent, and another.  Now it hasn't had a bath in two years. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline booger

Re: I can't believe I'm writing this.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:30 PM »
Simple.  Fix the dents and give her a spit shine!!!

You will be so proud that you won't dump her until the next time ;D

Offline timmerz

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »
Always a little traumatic finding out we are just human beings after all....my drop of my Concours is the first time in 40 years of street riding that I was not able to control the bike's falling down....after reading your story, sure doesn't seem like it was your fault, sounds more like the bike has developed a bad spot off idle that's going to cause you more problems further on down the road if you don't start working on getting a solution soon...don't be too rough on yourself!

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Gosh that sucks having all that happen close to the same time frame! The dents just feel insulting I bet.

Hope you can find a way to fix them then I bet she'll look great all cleaned up!  8)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
You know that ugly dark spot on some womens face?  They call em "Beauty marks"!  All you did was add character and beauty!