Author Topic: Warped front rotors  (Read 11240 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Warped front rotors
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Warped Front Rotors - not everyone has had this issue but it does happen...

So what have we learned....

• The front rotor carriers on the 08-10 bikes can be a bit bendy
  • The 11+ bikes had the carriers beefed up and the pad composition has changed.
  • Take the rotors off when getting tires installed unless you are the one being darn careful with the mountings
  • Deposits can form on the rotors and cause shuddering.  Various methods can be used to remove these deposits such as a rotor hone.  Topic 566
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=42.0
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=566.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:13:39 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Warped front rotors
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
Take the rotors off when getting tires installed unless you are the one being darn careful with the mountings

I've always been told that rotor bolts are one time use, so that would definitely add some $...

I've never had rotors taken off for tire changes on any of my bikes, no issues here.  :-\

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:14:48 AM »
I've reused the bolts many times, Jay, without issues.  However, if one feels the need, then they can replace them.  It's all good.  I just had the rear tire changed at my local installer.  As you might be aware, I changed the rear tire sensor battery out while I had the tire off.  I happened to see how they broke the bead on the wheel as they did it in front of me.  Scared the  :censored: out of me, it did watching the guy work.  After that, I took the rotor off for the final mounting.  I'm beginning to think it wasn't me bending the rotor carrier on my first real warping (caused the lever to really pulse). 

Oh, and thanks for reading and commenting on one of our Hot Topics!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »
Oh, and thanks for reading and commenting on one of our Hot Topics!

My pleasure Sparky, you want me to post some threads in this section to get this party started bro?  ;) ;D

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
Well I had the 2008 non abs. The rotors felt good until about 15,000 miles. Rotors replaced under warranty. They started feeling bad again before totaling it at 44,000 miles.

I have a 2010 abs. The rotors felt good until around 30,000+ miles.  Rotors replaced at 38,200 miles. Bike is smooth as glass now.

I have a 2011 abs. The rotors felt bad at 1200 miles. I brought it to the dealer at about 2800 miles. Kept riding while waiting for parts. Rotors changed out at 5400 miles. Feels great.

Between 2800 miles and 5400 miles this bike was shaking like crazy and the bolts that hold the rear brake mechanism in place came loose. One bolt was gone and the other about 16 rotations loose. I'm pretty sure they are related problems along with horrible tire life. Tires are absolutely toast at 5500 miles and the other 2 bikes went 10,000 easily without tires being this worn.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
Three different bikes needing rotor work seems like a huge error in Kawasaki's design.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
Ya think?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:29:33 PM »
My pleasure Sparky, you want me to post some threads in this section to get this party started bro?  ;) ;D

If they are 'hot MC' topics, yes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:15:23 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:28 PM »
If they are 'hot' topics, yes.

Do pics of wiminz count?  ???

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Do pics of wiminz count?  ???

Mr. Jim likes them about Betty Whites age.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
Mr. Jim likes them about Betty Whites age.

take yer pick...  :-\

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:14:51 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Guys, I definitely don't want to see wiminz and something totally ugly in these Wiki pages.  I'm going to pull a Jack Webb and ask for just the facts.  The pic is going bye bye...  MC topics only please and that includes comments and pics in the Wiki area.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
Guys, I definitely don't want to see wiminz and something totally ugly in these Wiki pages.  I'm going to pull a Jack Webb and ask for just the facts.  The pic is going bye bye...  MC topics only please and that includes comments and pics in the Wiki area.

My bad, sorry Sparky...  :-[

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
All is forgiven, Jay. ;D