Author Topic: Are things really different in Texas or is the entire country doomed?  (Read 34525 times)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/texas-attorney-general-paxton-indicted-161108917.html

Making laws and breaking laws with impunity. What chance do the rest of us poor slobs have, to succeed in life?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline jamiemac

Re: Are things really different in Texas or is the entire country doomed?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
You can never trust what is written about politicians, because both sides have an agenda, so most legal battles are politically motivated. Nobody is squeaky clean, so with a 24 hour news cycle, they have nothing better to do than hunt for dirt on the political opposition, or make up some dirt, if they can't find any.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

jirod

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
This is no different than in DC, Illinois, Maryland and all the other 48 states. Do we really think they run just to make whatever salary the office pays? I say let the courts sort it out. That's the best we can hope for.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »
Back in the day they lined the road with heads on stakes.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
We're just trying to keep up with Illinois and failing miserably. It's a tall order and a hard act to follow;D
Get better at it we will, just give us more time as the heat slows us down.  :P

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »
We're just trying to keep up with Illinois and failing miserably. It's a tall order and a hard act to follow;D

The real problem are the ones not in prison..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:48:41 AM »

:'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:11 AM »
You can never trust what is written about politicians, because both sides have an agenda, so most legal battles are politically motivated. Nobody is squeaky clean, so with a 24 hour news cycle, they have nothing better to do than hunt for dirt on the political opposition, or make up some dirt, if they can't find any.

I suppose "innocent till proven guilty" is the proper way of looking at it. But the classic situation of inmates running the asylum seems to be more true in Texas (and Illinois) than anywhere else?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
....the classic situation of inmates running the asylum seems to be more true in Texas (and Illinois) than anywhere else?

Depends on who is classifying the inmates level of sanity, Texas is trying to catch up, but we are back in the pack.

Top 10 most corrupt states in the U.S.
1. Mississippi 2. Louisiana 3. Tennessee 4. Illinois 5. Pennsylvania 6. Alabama 7. Alaska 8. South Dakota 9. Kentucky 10. Florida

US Corruption Map

There are different ways to make the measurement as well:

..and of course there is bias in almost all of the ranking systems, as the democrats see more in the republican states, and the republicans see more in the democratic states (and in most of the media and Universities doing the rankings).
 Both sides seem to agree that there is plenty of corruption to go around.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Equal opportunities for all!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
#4....really!  >:(    I call BS

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:40:22 PM »
Depends on who is classifying the inmates level of sanity, Texas is trying to catch up, but we are back in the pack.

Top 10 most corrupt states in the U.S.
1. Mississippi 2. Louisiana 3. Tennessee 4. Illinois 5. Pennsylvania 6. Alabama 7. Alaska 8. South Dakota 9. Kentucky 10. Florida

US Corruption Map

There are different ways to make the measurement as well:

..and of course there is bias in almost all of the ranking systems, as the democrats see more in the republican states, and the republicans see more in the democratic states (and in most of the media and Universities doing the rankings).
 Both sides seem to agree that there is plenty of corruption to go around.

I only see states that are bad at corruption because they got caught. :)
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
+1..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mr. Green Genes

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »
I heard about this story yesterday morning when I had the news on while I was getting ready for work.  I was amused by the fact that the attorney general was indicted on 3 felonies and said he would probably turn himself in, "either today or maybe tomorrow".

Apparently this loosey goosey, "the law only applies to me as I interpret it" attitude is a top down mind set.  I commuted into Ft. Worth behind a TX Hwy. Patrol Trooper at 85-90 mph for 20 miles in a 70 mph zone.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 05:55:01 AM »
When the CotUS is relegated to the trash can by the resident in chief and the DoJ is fomenting violence in cities across the country, what else would you expect?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
Fomenting violence? What talk shows are listening to?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
I heard about this story yesterday morning when I had the news on while I was getting ready for work.  I was amused by the fact that the attorney general was indicted on 3 felonies and said he would probably turn himself in, "either today or maybe tomorrow".

Apparently this loosey goosey, "the law only applies to me as I interpret it" attitude is a top down mind set.  I commuted into Ft. Worth behind a TX Hwy. Patrol Trooper at 85-90 mph for 20 miles in a 70 mph zone.

That is just a bit over the typical "grace" limit, but not uncommon. Where I live the speed limit on the Interstate is 75 mph. You need to be going about 80 in the right lane to let the faster cars go by in the left. Limits go up further west, and down slightly as you hit the Metroplex. Actually, those signs may really only be suggestions.  ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
When the CotUS is relegated to the trash can by the resident in chief and the DoJ is fomenting violence in cities across the country, what else would you expect?

Corruption in these leading states is not exactly something that started with this administration. The "elite ten" have a long and rich history of screwing their fellow citizens over.

I am surprised that Louisiana is not number one, though.

Looking at that map, it's not surprising the appalling reaction that I had to government in general here in Flowriduh, having moved here from Minnesnowta. Corruption is pretty much everywhere, but it is really an over the top art form here in Fla.

I am surprised that Texas didn't make the elite list.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 06:28:43 PM »
This administration blatanly trashes CotUS and flaunts it. The they know there is no political opposition.y throw it in our faces.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
she'll fix it all, she's mad  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine