Author Topic: Heat issue with newer year C14’s  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Yahooie

Heat issue with newer year C14’s
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
Hey All, just wondering if the newer models roast your legs and marbles like the older ones do? I switched my coolant to water wetter the pre mixed stuff not the cocktail and while it seems to be more efficient with cooling off more quickly, it seems to also heat up more quickly as well. Its my daily commuter and in south florida where its 85 in the morning on my ride in and just as hot on the way home i am totally roasted and a sweaty mess. Love the bike but not the heat. Hoping they fixed the issue with newer models. I also installed a mylar heat shield under the gad tank which did help some.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Heat issue with newer year C14’s
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
,There are two- gen 1 (2008 to 2009) and gen 2 (2010-2019) (with a little rev, perhaps gen 2.1 thrown in there a few years ago).  There were some major design changes in heat management between gen 1 and 2- fairing redesign, internal insulators, and midpipe heat-shield addition.  There is no difference in heat management 2010-2019.

So if your experience is only on a 2008/9 then yes, there were big improvements.  Otherwise, no.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2887
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:15:49 AM »
Ok Yahooie, so do you have a Gen 1 or 2?  Can't tell from your post.  Also, did the roasting occur after using water wetter?  If so, I'd go back to the normal coolant.  Just thinking out loud, but if you use a substance that sheds heat quicker, that heat has to go somewhere...  Was the bike overheating before the addition of water wetter?  If Gen 1 there are 'heat' shields under the fairing that block some of the heat.  They can get misplaced or misaligned.  I've got a heat shield under the seat and foam blocks under it to block the heat coming from the engine.   Also have some foam in the lowers blocking heat.   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Yahooie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:29:42 AM »
Sorry guys i was not clear. Gen 1. The bike isnt overheating its just like riding a heater. When i am in slow traffic or stopped at a light and the fans kick in is like opening the oven door. I bought and installed a mylar heat shield which goes under the gas tank amd sits on top of the existing runner shields and that had helped a bunch. Thanks for chiming in and answering the question. Now i want to test ride a Gen 2 to see how much it has improved. If its still a roaster may have to look at other bikes like the Yamaha. Not sure i want to pony up the big bucks for a ducati or gold wing since i use it mainly for my commute to work.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:22:52 AM »
Sorry guys i was not clear. Gen 1. The bike isnt overheating its just like riding a heater. When i am in slow traffic or stopped at a light and the fans kick in is like opening the oven door. I bought and installed a mylar heat shield which goes under the gas tank amd sits on top of the existing runner shields and that had helped a bunch. Thanks for chiming in and answering the question. Now i want to test ride a Gen 2 to see how much it has improved. If its still a roaster may have to look at other bikes like the Yamaha. Not sure i want to pony up the big bucks for a ducati or gold wing since i use it mainly for my commute to work.

I am the owner of a 2009 C-14 with over 85,000 trouble free miles. When I first rode it, I noticed a lot of heat on the lower right side, and discovered that the foam blockers were twisted and not making contact with the engine block. After some foam adjusting and buying some tall boots, I was able to go anywhere, even at 110* in the Mohave desert. I have come across some C14's that the foam blocks were missing entirely- maybe someone pulled them off during servicing, or missing from the factory. I also think they probably will get brittle from heat over time, and need periodic replacement. So far, no problemo.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
After some foam adjusting and buying some tall boots, I was able to go anywhere, even at 110* in the Mohave desert. .

I have to agree with this part. I always wear boots, and have no issues with heat from my 2009, no matter what part of the country I am riding, and no matter the outside temperature.

Offline Yahooie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
The foam blocks are twisted so heat is coming out by my feet. Maybe i am sweating because i am fat. Lol. Thanks for all the input.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Since you are used to a Gen 1, yes, the Gen 2 is improved considerably with regards to heat management (and other things); more so than you can alter a Gen 1 to achieve.

However, there is still considerable heat when the fans kick on in crawling or stopped traffic.  It would be great if the fans automatically REVERSED and blew the hot air forward when stopped or barely moving if the ambient temp is above X (X being maybe 70F or something).  It is a strange idea I had years ago, but I still think it would work.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tonedeaf2

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »

I almost bought an early C10, but the heat was just more than I cold stand ( I had been riding for about 25 years at the time). When the C14 came out I was all over it ........until the engine heated up. I could not believe they created another two-wheeled oven. When I read about the 3rd year updates, I tried the bike and on fell love..,.what an improvement.

Offline Yahooie

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »
Thanks all for the input.  When riding slow or stopped in traffic is when I really notice it.  I have been very hesitant to take the wife on a leisurely ride along the intracoastal where the speed limit is 30-35 and can be stop and go.    This is my first bike and I do really like it.  Big switch up from my former Suzuki Burgman 650 although it is faster and much meaner looking, the scooter was like riding an armchair down the road.  I had plenty of storage with it, was automatic and could hit 120.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
My 2008 would cook my ankles and my boys.
My 2009 came with foam type blocks but the boys were still roasting, I pulled the tank and installed a special heat blocking material that fixed that.

My 2011 has none of these issues and is overall a much improved bike. (it's the little things)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
I guess I must just be lucky with my ‘09.  I’ve had it in 100 degree temps and haven’t ever been overwhelmed by heat from the bike.  The boys ain’t been gettin’ roasted.  Although, the other day, I was without a vehicle and rode to my workout class in the morning and rode home wearing only shorts and a shirt.  (Sacralege, I know, but I was burning up). Anyway, on the ride home out of proper riding gear, I noticed a little heat coming off of the motor.  Was kinda nice, actually, cuz it was a chilly morning. 

The bottom line is I haven’t ever had a problem with heat.  I asked the previous owner (a friend) and he never noticed a heat problem either. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.