Author Topic: weird spot worn on tire (Shinko 777)  (Read 1910 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
weird spot worn on tire (Shinko 777)
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
I have a Shinko 777 that I've got about 7500 miles on.  I've still got a little way before I'm down to the wear bars.  I've got this weird spot worn on it.  It's a little dimple for lack of better word.  I guess it is about the size of a finger print or so.  It's very uniformly shaped, no rough edges at all.  The shape would be something like if you pushed your finger into a rubber sheet, how it would depress uniformly around your finger, rounded bottom, gradually sloped sides.  I'd guess it to be about 1/8" deep.  Hard to tell due to the contour of the depression and the tire.  I'd guess it's located about 1/2 way between the center and the edge of the tread.  Anyone have any ideas what would a spot like that? 

I've got no issues with the tire other than that.  I discovered the spot when inspecting the bike.  I was going to take it out of town for a couple of days.  I've been riding around on it in town like this for a little while.  Just not sure if I should trust it.

Edit:
I did take a few pictures but it's hard to make the pictures look like much.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: weird spot worn on tire (Shinko 777)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:56 AM »
Not an expert, but could be an internal failure. Shoot an email to Western Powersports and see what they have to say. I'm running my first 777 on the rear with only about 3k miles on it so far. No issues at this time, I do really like how the tire works with a PR3 up front.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
Seeing as how I didn't buy the tire from them I doubt they'd be much help.  Thanks for the tip nonetheless.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »
Seeing as how I didn't buy the tire from them I doubt they'd be much help.  Thanks for the tip nonetheless.
They are the US distributor. If the tire was bought in the US, it came from Western Power Sports. Very nice folks to deal with and they want to project a customer friendly reputation.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »
I am on my second 777 with no problems, i got 11k out of my first tire and liked it enough to buy another one that now has 3k on it.

I would contact the proper people and maybe they will give you a new one.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting