Author Topic: What the mechanic says.  (Read 3527 times)

Offline cugsy

What the mechanic says.
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I put the bike into the garage last saturday and rang up today for an update. Carbs and clearances and the MOT. It seems that the last owner or mechanic was a complete tit. The plugs were loose - the crush washers weren't tight and it seems that 80% of the engine heat in combustion transfers through the washer into the porcelain. Not in this case and the plugs were bloody hot. So much for the last bike shop doing it properly (the receipt shows it at less than 2000 miles ago, last september).
  The mechanic also says that the cams are pitted through the last owner not changing the oil or using cooking fat instead of good stuff! Not too badly, he says - but it needs to be kept on top of. I change the oil religiously and use 10/40 magnetec.
 The really good news - the clearances were sooooo tight they were virtually nil. All in all, quite a surprise considering the last owner said he looked after it. Twat!
 Its running much better now and I expect it back soon for some cuddling and a heated garage.  So, now I have a better idea of why it ran poorly.   One day, I will own a bike from new and not someone elses abused toy!  John

Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: What the mechanic says.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
Cam pitting is typical and has nothing to do with oil. It's just Ma Kawasaki was niggardly with the heat treatment.

If there was oil deficiency, you would see scoring, not pitting.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline vinny

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
Thats why it is always a good idea to do as much of the routine work yourself as you can.
That way you know it has been done correctly.
If you have to take it to someone, try to get a recommendation from someone.

Offline cugsy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
I was bitching about the last owner Vinny. I've only had it a few months and the last owner said it had been shop serviced - by some monkeys apparently. I do most of the servicing myself but the lad who does the difficult bits is a star. A proper biker and a proper mechanic.  A rare thing - he has standards. 
  And I think he said pitting, it might have been scoring.  I still want new though.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
I was bitching about the last owner Vinny. I've only had it a few months and the last owner said it had been shop serviced - by some monkeys apparently. I do most of the servicing myself but the lad who does the difficult bits is a star. A proper biker and a proper mechanic.  A rare thing - he has standards. 
  And I think he said pitting, it might have been scoring.  I still want new though.

New cams? Do a bit of reading before you opt for new cams from MaKaw.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/replacement-torque-cams

Last time I looked at them, they had 40k miles on them and they still looked perfect. And the grind that is done really works nice for low and mid range driveability. They flat out work well, especially with the re-jet.

BTW, the owner, Steve aka SiSF will be on holidays for the next two weeks. He is out of touch during that time. Camping and fishing with the family.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
One day, I will own a bike from new and not someone elses abused toy!

I still want new though.

New cams?

No, he wants a brand new motor-sickle.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline cugsy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:20:59 AM »
If I may assume the correct transatlantic vernacular and state categorically - Yup, ah wants me a new motorsickle mo fo...shuh nuff ::)  etc

Offline cmoore

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »
I want a new mowercycle too. My old C-10 has had pitted cams for the last 60,000 miles or so. Runs like a champ so I'm not messing with 'em.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »
I want a new mowercycle too. My old C-10 has had pitted cams for the last 60,000 miles or so. Runs like a champ so I'm not messing with 'em.

Pits hold reserve oil and aid in lubraction....   ;)

I'm serious... Kinda sort of...   ::)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
  Yup, crappy looking cams since almost new but were still working proper until I installed SiSF's Torque Cams ( WOW!) at 90,000 miles. Mama Kaw put out a lot of nasty looking cams but they did work.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:19:33 PM by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc