Author Topic: What kind of oil is used on a foam air filter?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Tele130

What kind of oil is used on a foam air filter?
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
??
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: What kind of oil is used on a foam air filter?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
I'm using a kit to clean and oil Fram air filters.  I think I bought it at Advance Auto.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
"Foam air filter oil"   ;D

Really.  It is a very sticky oil, and you don't need to use much.  It is very easy to use too much oil and cause problems with the operation of your engine.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
"Foam air filter oil"   ;D

Really.  It is a very sticky oil, and you don't need to use much.  It is very easy to use too much oil and cause problems with the operation of your engine.

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

I shouda known. ;D

Doug Colton

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

I shouda known. ;D
Any bike shop should have it.  With the popularity of K&N filters for cars, a lot of auto parts places carry at least the K&N version, too.

One thing I recommend when pulling the filter, cleaning, and re-oiling, is to wear disposable rubber gloves.  I'm not kidding when I say the stuff is really sticky.  It is a PITA to wash off your hands without using a solvent like kerosene or gas.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
Any bike shop should have it.  With the popularity of K&N filters for cars, a lot of auto parts places carry at least the K&N version, too.

One thing I recommend when pulling the filter, cleaning, and re-oiling, is to wear disposable rubber gloves.  I'm not kidding when I say the stuff is really sticky.  It is a PITA to wash off your hands without using a solvent like kerosene or gas.

Thanks for the tip :thumbs:.  I'm on my way to O'Reilly auto parts and see what they have..........it's really close.

Doug Colton

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »
Use no toil filters and no toil oil. Biodegradable and washes up with this special detergent, no toxic crap to deal with. Get a brand new filter and use it from the get go. If a filter has had any dino oil on it before, you can't use No Toil.

It wouldn't be as easy with a C10 filter as it's built into a frame. Dirt bike filters can be removed so you have only foam in your hand and then are easily washed. I love the stuff.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Use no toil filters and no toil oil. Biodegradable and washes up with this special detergent, no toxic crap to deal with. Get a brand new filter and use it from the get go. If a filter has had any dino oil on it before, you can't use No Toil.

It wouldn't be as easy with a C10 filter as it's built into a frame. Dirt bike filters can be removed so you have only foam in your hand and then are easily washed. I love the stuff.

I use and love no toil also.  But I had my perfectly good KLR filter come apart at the seams at the first cleaning with no toil.  No big deal, I just replaced the KLR filter with a no toil filter.  However, No toil does not make a Concours filter that I am aware of and I have a UNI on mine.  I believe there were reports of UNI foam filters coming apart using no toil cleaner so for my UNI filter I just use the conventional messy filter oils found at any motorcycle shop.   
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
I picked up a can of K&N Oil Filter spray.

Doug Colton

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
Before getting the K&N, I used the K&N spray oil on my foam filter.  Always worked and never had a problem.  Plus I had the oil left over from the K&N on the Mustang I had.