Author Topic: Gear question - air flo pants??  (Read 2004 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Gear question - air flo pants??
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
I've always worn leather pants but in the summer I just get too dang hot, so I'm looking to get some air flo textile type pants for this year. Question for you guys, do you get them a little larger so that they can go over your jeans or cargo shorts? Or do you buy them smaller and just where them with "draws only" underneath?

Also if you have any recommendations let me know, right now I've got my eye on these Alpinestars ones...

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/pants/textile/air-flo-riding-pants/

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
Re: Gear question - air flo pants??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
I ordered these in a 38  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/mesh_tex_2_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html . I wear a size 36 (currently losing weight to get back to a 34) and have no problems wearing them with or without cargo shorts. Being in Houston sometimes it's just too hot even for cargo shorts under them.   :P Plenty of waist adjustment to take up the slack. They worked great for last year's long hot summer.  8)
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
    Strange they make them in black??  A lighter shade would be even cooler.

These look good in hot weather and a good review from a rider in Texas.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/35675/ITEM/Icon-Hooligan-2-Mesh-Overpants.aspx
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline W14

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
I bought the Scropion Deuce pants a couple years ago for summer riding. They are great pants, offering more protection than jeans and air flow you cannot get from leather. The appearance of the pants is rather suttle and not as aggressive as some of the other riding pants, which was plus for me. They can be worn comfortably in temperatures  between the mid-40's (with liner) and high 80's (without liner). The liner is supposedly waterproof, although I have not tested it.

I use them as pants and not as overpants. They run small - I have a 38 inch waist and 2XL's are tight, so there is no way I can fit jeans under them. I do wear heavy duty long-johns under them in cold weather.

Suggest you go to the motorcycle superstore website to get reviews to the Scropion pants as well as others. 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
    Strange they make them in black??  A lighter shade would be even cooler.

These look good in hot weather and a good review from a rider in Texas.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/35675/ITEM/Icon-Hooligan-2-Mesh-Overpants.aspx

I don't think I could pull off the white pants M1...
Maybe back in the early 90's when I would rock the Capezio's and do the Hammer dance, but not anymore...  :-\
I'm looking for black (it's faster...), just not leather.  :)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
ZG, please get the white pants.  Maybe compliment it with a red jacket?

I bought my pants to fit as it felt pointless to have an airflow pant over something that blocked airflow.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »
My Tourmaster Mesh Overpants are excellent. Armoured in the knees and hips, full leg zippers, balistic nylon w/ fully adjustable waistline. Silver in color, and over a pair of riding shorts that are also padded, it is very air friendly. They also come with a zip-in quilted liner, so 4 season all the way. Throw a piar of jeans under them and you have regular clothes on when you stop for a while also.
My $.02, hope it hepls.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
My Tourmaster Mesh Overpants are excellent. Armoured in the knees and hips, full leg zippers, balistic nylon w/ fully adjustable waistline. Silver in color, and over a pair of riding shorts that are also padded, it is very air friendly. They also come with a zip-in quilted liner, so 4 season all the way. Throw a piar of jeans under them and you have regular clothes on when you stop for a while also.
My $.02, hope it hepls.
Greg

Looking at their site Greg they have many options, which ones are you referring to or do you have?

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/home.php?cat=4

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »

i have the Tracker Air Pants by Tourmaster. Linky:

http://www.helmetshop.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-14645

A couple of notes. There is no hip armor. The liner works well for what it is, not necessarily dry in an all day rain, but works well for quite a while. The bottom part of the leg is quite loose, I use a Velcro strap to tighten them up a bit.

I like the ability to make them into cargo shorts. As cargo shorts, they work quite nicely, very comfortable, and help in multi-tasking gear for touring. They also fit me well. For some reason, I had a h3ll of a time finding a pair of mesh pants that fit me. These are pants that I will actually wear in the summer, in Floriduh.

It seems that the Helmet Shop has the best non-ebay price on these. I bought mine there as I was able to try them on, seein's how they are local to me, plus they had/have a frugal price. Good, knowledgeable folks there. They have gone up about $15-20 since last summer. The link above shows the old list price, still.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »
The firstgear pants I currently wear are leather, but have a mesh panel in the crotch and down the inside of the thigh/leg, along with vents on each thigh.  Also hip and knee protection.  Best of both worlds.  I used them satisfactorily in 110+ weather this summer.  Haven't wrecked in them yet, so I can't comment on that part, although I did in the pair I had before them and both the pants and I were fine.  Just another option for you.  I'm picky about my skin; I prefer it solidly attached to my body.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »
The firstgear pants I currently wear are leather, but have a mesh panel in the crotch and down the inside of the thigh/leg, along with vents on each thigh.  Also hip and knee protection.  Best of both worlds.  I used them satisfactorily in 110+ weather this summer.  Haven't wrecked in them yet, so I can't comment on that part, although I did in the pair I had before them and both the pants and I were fine.  Just another option for you.  I'm picky about my skin; I prefer it solidly attached to my body.

Do you know the name of the Firstgear pants you have? Link?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold