Author Topic: cool vest - fantastic  (Read 5857 times)

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
cool vest - fantastic
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »
Currently touring our way to the rally though some oppressive heat. Using these cool vests with mesh jackets and camel back hydration systems. They can be soaked down at gas stops in the sink. They are worth their weight in gold.
Pack thin and light too.  ;D
http://ridecool.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/28
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: cool vest - fantastic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
My anti-virus software doesn't like that web page and blocked it. Not sure why.

Anyway, a lot of major vendors are carrying this product on summer close-out, I can remember which one but its one i commonly use I can look it up if anyone if interested.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline rumblecow

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:51 AM »
My anti-virus software doesn't like that web page and blocked it. Not sure why.

Anyway, a lot of major vendors are carrying this product on summer close-out, I can remember which one but its one i commonly use I can look it up if anyone if interested.

+1
......... =o&o>

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
I bought a Fieldsheer model and tried it for the first time yesterday. The thing sure gets heavy when it sucks up all the water, but it does it's job. I wish I had the next smaller size though as this one is a little big for me and doesn't contact me all the way around. I may get some velcro straps and wrap it around my chest and stomach to help that.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I bought the Fieldsheer one also, I find it to be heavy and clammy as well.  Anybody want a good deal on a twice worn vest?

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
I bought the Fieldsheer one also, I find it to be heavy and clammy as well.  Anybody want a good deal on a twice worn vest?

What size?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

What size?
If it's the wrong size, maybe we can do a swap. I don't remember which size mine is, but a smaller one would be perfect.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Cycle gear also sells them for around $30.
But a good sweatshirt works too for testing.
The trick is, to use warm water when you soak it so when you put it on its not so darn cold.
No worries though, whether my brother in law believes me or not, using warm water does not change the amount of cooling that will occur after you moving at speed. The water still evaporates at the same temp.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
The one I have is a large.  Bought it for $39.00 make me an offer. 

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
So on the ride cool vests, if you wear it over a regular shirt, then wear a jacket over the vest I assume the undershirt is gonna be soaking wet as well?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
So on the ride cool vests, if you wear it over a regular shirt, then wear a jacket over the vest I assume the undershirt is gonna be soaking wet as well?

Not really. you don't soak it to the point that it drips wet as you put it on.
Soak it then wring it gently before putting it on.
You'll find dampness, but not soaking your shirt.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »

Mine says to let it drip the excess out , I give it about an hour right now and it works fine, aka no wet shirt/pants/ etc. The recommended 10 minutes was no good, I will try 1/2 hour this weekend.

Also I went to the grocery store and bought a box of 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags. After it drips some, I put it in the zip lock and my luggage until I need it. Which this weekend will probably be until about the end of the driveway, but I am going to church on Sunday so it will be ready when the service is done.

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
How long do they stay cool, and also I would assume it work better (maybe dry quick as well) if you werent behind a fully faired bike.  Like comparing my c10 to my ninja 250.  Really neat, if you had to do it again would you get the one with the sleaves?

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »
I live in the land of 90 degree heat and 90% humidity (literally - earlier today) - evaporative vests are of no use in such high humidity.

I did find an option that WORKS - a Texas Coolvest - a little bulky but it keeps your core cool for 90 minutes to 2 hours. It has 4 parrafin based )I think) cooling packs that "freeze" at 58 degrees, so they can be cooled in any refrigerator or better yet in a cooler with ice in one of the panniers - when one set is done load in the other set in the vest, put the spent set in the cooler, and when you stop again in a couple of hours they are ready again!  The vest was a little pricy ($230 or so) but allows comforatable and protected (I wear it under an armored jacket) riding in 90+ heat.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
How long do they stay cool, and also I would assume it work better (maybe dry quick as well) if you werent behind a fully faired bike.  Like comparing my c10 to my ninja 250.  Really neat, if you had to do it again would you get the one with the sleaves?

In 90 degrees, I'd say about one hour. but as Hayeshfc said, in high humidity, they don't work very well.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
Ahhh so wont doo so much for me here.  Thank you guys for all the info!

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
The one I have is a large.  Bought it for $39.00 make me an offer. 

Supatramp, if you need an XL, that's what I have. If you make an offer to jaclaw and he accepts it, he can ship his to me and I can ship mine to you and we can all be happy!

I will send a PM as well.
Scott

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:49 AM »
90+% humidity every day and it works very well for me, I guess the choice is in the wearer. OR how the bike is outfitted? Where is the rally that the original poster is going to?

And for the no fairing bike question, I do have to admit: I pulled the plexiglass off of the Rifle base two months ago, never have looked back. The theory is the more air the more cooling happens on the vest, and it works just as well with a wet T-shirt. The vest just lasts ALOT longer than a wet T.

And the comment about using warm or at least room temperature water is on target. Cold water will cool your core down too much, causing icky feelings.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 09:49:38 AM »

I might be.......what size and how much?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
I might be.......what size and how much?
$20.00 including shipping.