Author Topic: Annoying caller blocking....  (Read 10527 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Annoying caller blocking....
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
A short video on the Tel-Lynx

http://youtu.be/aX8ciJM1p4s

Color me intrigued..   Press 1 for the nice person, Press 2 for the mean one.  I don't think I'd give out names, though.  The people that know us would have no issue in choosing wisely.

Here are others

http://youtu.be/bnw7aqeWjUw
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
A short video on the Tel-Lynx

http://youtu.be/aX8ciJM1p4s

Color me intrigued..   Press 1 for the nice person, Press 2 for the mean one.  I don't think I'd give out names, though.  The people that know us would have no issue in choosing wisely.

linky not visible... fix please...

ok, linky shows when quoting..

ain't spending $1 for a solution let alone a hundred +..

sorry, I'll answer my phone with F-U for free... and enjoy it more.

ICBM's would be nice...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 04:54:07 PM »
Doesn't work on Chrome.   Works on FF though.  FF performance sucks for me so I use Chrome for the most part.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »
yeah, I'm using ancient chrome, on an XP laptop...

nothing works.. and when it all falls to crap, I'll toss it all. and never buy another electronic device...
 :rotflmao: :cool:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »

I believe that multi-person stuff is completely optional- you can choose to have only one "user" so it doesn't require the caller to choose a person each time (which is somewhat annoying).  Of course, you lose some functionality in the process (if you have more than one person living in the house).

Here are others

None of those others can do what the Tel-Lynx can.  They are all simple blacklist/whitelist without the system automatically allowing unknown callers a challenge.

http://www.tel-lynx.com
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 06:23:19 PM »
Doesn't work on Chrome.   Works on FF though.  FF performance sucks for me so I use Chrome for the most part.

You must not have used Firefox in a while, then.  As of version 57, there was a huge improvement in speed (major changes in the web rendering engine), so it is on-par with Chrome.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »
You must not have used Firefox in a while, then.  As of version 57, there was a huge improvement in speed (major changes in the web rendering engine), so it is on-par with Chrome.

Chrome SUX

they discontinued support for my android nook, for my linking my YouTube to my $600 "stupid new tv from 2014", and my XP computer...
chrome sux.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
None of those others can do what the Tel-Lynx can.  They are all simple blacklist/whitelist without the system automatically allowing unknown callers a challenge.

Correction, the Sentry 3.1 can also challenge callers not on the white list, although it has only the tiniest fraction of other features.   The challenge is not a screening, but the caller must press "0" to ring through.    https://www.amazon.com/SENTRY-Screener-blocking-solicitor-election/dp/B019ERMS90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »

I have 52.6.0 ESR (32bit).   I need ESR so it doesn't throw up on Java (which I use a lot).  However, Chrome works well with Java so I'm thinking about updating FF to the latest release.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
Well, that's it.  Some  :censored: woke me up at 6 this morning.  That's the first time that's happened.  Dumping the land line.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 05:50:22 AM »
Well, that's it.  Some  :censored: woke me up at 6 this morning.  That's the first time that's happened.  Dumping the land line.

When they then call the cell and wake you up at 6, will you dump that too??

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »
Possibly..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2018, 07:20:17 AM »
I believe this device will do something just like that, a 'question and answer' session but it is short and I <believe> your own voice recording so it is not the cold, perhaps threatening machine voice pummeling Grandma for facts before she can get through.

And yes, I knew about the BT version that also works with cell phones but the way I use my own cell phone, it has no yet been used as a weapon of capitalism to torture me so not sure about the advantage there.

I am interested enough that I will read some reviews and as long as they are generally positive, I will purchase one to kick the tires. Will post back here to let you folks know if I do buy it and what I find out about it.

As to the expense, I whole- hardheartedly agree that it is quite poor that I have to spend money for hardware (phone(s)), the service (landline in this case) and then spend MORE money, and a substantial sum at that (hey, this is not cheap like a pocket fisherman.....) but such is the imperfection of life. The phone calls are annoying and yet I want and need the phone service. So it looks like plan C, which is to buy more hardware to fix up the first two purchases. At least it is a one- time purchase and NOT any kind of ongoing service charge, rental or anything similar.

Brian

<snip>

The other was I wanted an automated challenge so I didn't have to screen anything at all...  Like "Please press [random number] to continue" or "Please enter the sum of 3 and 2".

In any case, yes, it is very interesting and not too expensive.  There is also a (more expensive) bluetooth model that will integrate cell phone usage with it, too.  People say the documentation is so-so, but that support is great.

https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Lynx-Guardian-Personal-Telephone-Assistant/dp/B014WPXJ0G
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
Recent update (March, 2019): Cox now supports simultaneous ring and I have signed up with nomorobo. Too soon to tell but the annoying calls do seem to be down quite a bit. Maybe a medium sized step forward..... ?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tonedeaf2

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »

A land line comes with my cable service. I use it to call online merchants (and others) that I don't want to ever call me. The ringer is turned off on the phone and I never answer it. It is quite useful. (Although lately I have been getting many more jerk calls on my cell phone -- there must have been some rules changes.)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 05:15:09 AM »
(Although lately I have been getting many more jerk calls on my cell phone -- there must have been some rules changes.)

They don't play by rules.  They will call any number they can farm and also dial randomly/sequentially.  There are essentially no penalties (certainly none that are criminal) and next to no enforcement.  Plus they spoof caller-ID to make it just that much more annoying and impossible to fight.  The problem is now so severe that some studies estimate that over 50% of all calls made are spam.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 05:46:51 AM »
Downloaded an app called True Caller ID, for my mobile phone. Works beautiful. Even blocked a reported number's text messages.

I just hear a 'bleep' on the phone, and when you look, the call has been blocked if it is a known telemarketing business. you can even block numbers yourself, and save others the hassle as well....
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14