Author Topic: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments  (Read 36681 times)

elp_jc

Hey gang, it's super late, but want your input on a couple of issues. And have some comments.

1. When starting bike for the first time (60ºF), no fast-idle at all. Engine stalled the first time. It started the second, but barely held on at around 700 rpm. Once hot, idle was too high, so adjusted it at a restaurant nearby. When I got out, no fast-idle either (around 900 rpm). Now I removed the battery to install a battery charger pigtail, but does disconnecting the battery have anything to do with that? At what rpm do older C14s fast-idle at? By the way, throttle had waaay too much free play, so adjusted it properly. But doubt it has anything to do with fast-idle IMO.

2. I think now I know why 2015s weigh 2 more pounds. They all have a charcoal canister. Check out the pic of my tank, and please let me know if older bikes have those hoses. Also took pic of vacuum routing under the seat.

3. Where the heck do you guys put your owner's manual? Read that there was a lot of space under the seat, but there's NONE on my bike. I also have to say it's a PITA to install the seat. There're 2 'hooks' in the middle of the seat that are very hard to push under that stupid bar. And worst of all, that bar (with a harness inside) is not closed off where the hooks go, so they just grab in the middle, and the seat is bowed in the middle, and the rear is very hard to latch. Didn't figure it out until I flattened the rear plate, and couldn't install it. Had to bend it again, but it was bent too much before, so now it's perfect. But still a PITA, since you basically have to bend the seat in the middle to latch those middle bars, then insert the rear tab in its place. Maybe the seat wasn't installed properly when I rode the bike, since I couldn't reach the ground nearly as good as when I tried the black 2015 at the other dealer. We'll see tomorrow.

4. Want to order the CopperDawg sport screen right away, but there's no paint code anywhere on the bike. Pat guessed the color was 'Candy Lime Green' (used on 2012 ZX10, I think), and that's exactly what the Kawasaki site says. Is it safe to assume that's the right color? Don't want to order the screen and the wrong color shows up. Maybe some of you know where the paint code is (it's not on the VIN label).

5. Has anybody installed LED turn-signals on your Connie without having to pierce/splice the factory wiring for a load-resistor? I'd like to do at least the rear (LED tail/brake light already), but would like all 4 if possible.

That's it for now folks. I attached a few pics of my fully debadged/destickered/dereflectorized bike, for proof it's mine ;D.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New 2015 'praying mantis' home. Have some questions and comments
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »
jc, congrats on the bike. I've got my warm idle set at about 1100-1200 rpm.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:53:31 AM »
Hey gang, it's super late, but want your input on a couple of issues. And have some comments.

1. When starting bike for the first time (60ºF), no fast-idle at all. Engine stalled the first time. It started the second, but barely held on at around 700 rpm. Once hot, idle was too high, so adjusted it at a restaurant nearby. When I got out, no fast-idle either (around 900 rpm). Now I removed the battery to install a battery charger pigtail, but does disconnecting the battery have anything to do with that? At what rpm do older C14s fast-idle at? By the way, throttle had waaay too much free play, so adjusted it properly. But doubt it has anything to do with fast-idle IMO.

2. I think now I know why 2015s weigh 2 more pounds. They all have a charcoal canister. Check out the pic of my tank, and please let me know if older bikes have those hoses. Also took pic of vacuum routing under the seat.

3. Where the heck do you guys put your owner's manual? Read that there was a lot of space under the seat, but there's NONE on my bike. I also have to say it's a PITA to install the seat. There're 2 'hooks' in the middle of the seat that are very hard to push under that stupid bar. And worst of all, that bar (with a harness inside) is not closed off where the hooks go, so they just grab in the middle, and the seat is bowed in the middle, and the rear is very hard to latch. Didn't figure it out until I flattened the rear plate, and couldn't install it. Had to bend it again, but it was bent too much before, so now it's perfect. But still a PITA, since you basically have to bend the seat in the middle to latch those middle bars, then insert the rear tab in its place. Maybe the seat wasn't installed properly when I rode the bike, since I couldn't reach the ground nearly as good as when I tried the black 2015 at the other dealer. We'll see tomorrow.

4. Want to order the CopperDawg sport screen right away, but there's no paint code anywhere on the bike. Pat guessed the color was 'Candy Lime Green' (used on 2012 ZX10, I think), and that's exactly what the Kawasaki site says. Is it safe to assume that's the right color? Don't want to order the screen and the wrong color shows up. Maybe some of you know where the paint code is (it's not on the VIN label).

5. Has anybody installed LED turn-signals on your Connie without having to pierce/splice the factory wiring for a load-resistor? I'd like to do at least the rear (LED tail/brake light already), but would like all 4 if possible.

That's it for now folks. I attached a few pics of my fully debadged/destickered/dereflectorized bike, for proof it's mine ;D.

1, On my bike I'm pretty sure that the fast idle wouldn't kick in at 60ºF and I have no idea what's going on with your bike and the problems you had starting it.

2, My '08 doesn't have any of those vac hoses. Any chance that your bike might have been intended to be sold in California?

3, I don't keep the owner's manual on my bike but if I did I'd keep it in one of the bags. If the seat is new or hasn't been installed on the bike for a while it's harder to get it to go into the correct position when installing it. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »
If it was bought in a neighboring state to CA then it could be why the charcoal canister and assorted extra vac hoses are on it.  CA equipped bikes typically do not cause any issues with performance or idle speed.  Where was it bought?  As far as the idle goes, these bikes typically have it set too low.  Most of us find that bumping the idle up (warm bike) to around 1150/1200 is the sweet spot for it.  Mine wasn't adjusted correctly when I bought it and once set hasn't changed in 7.5 years.  A battery that isn't charged enough or a battery that isn't 'good' can cause weird electrical problems in these bikes.  I would take it back to the dealer and get it sorted if you can't get the idle correct.  The picture of the rear of the fuel tank is indicative of a CA bike with a charcoal canister.  Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it shouldn't affect anything.  It's hard to say what's wrong with the idle as too tight throttle cables can cause issues.  Incorrect adjustment of idle speed can cause issues as you may be masking something that's not quite right.  I really would get a dealer to look at it as they may have to contact Kwackers to get it sorted.  This is a new model bike that's just hit the showroom floor and it's possible that the dealer prep wasn't done correctly as well or it's something that went out the factory door not quite right.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline st2sam

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:25:36 AM »
1 - set your fully warmed idle at 1100rpm.
My bike doesn't idle much faster when cold but doesn't stall.
After your bike is fully broke in you'll have to reduce your idle speed. (I did)

2 - Not sure, but I would say your bike is Cali. model?

3 - No space under my seat. Yes the seat is a pain to install correctly, it's just the nature of the beast.
     When reinstalling my seat I put my weight on my forearm in the middle of the seat as I'm pushing forward. (you'll hear a click when latched)

4 - Mother Kaw likes to recycle color every few years, the 2015 black is the same as my 2009.
     A very good chance it's the same color as you stated, the 2012 ZX14. color.
     (however IMO there is a paint code somewhere)

5 - I can't help here but Kawasaki is light years behind on the wiring. My 2009 is wrapped together with electrical tape, looks like a dogs breakfast. (but works fine)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:58:30 AM by st2sam »
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:28:32 AM »
I wonder if dealers these days are still installing the battery backwards? The positive terminal should be facing out. Not that this has anything to do with the OP issues, I was just wondering. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
I had the same thought...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »
Congratulations!  Looks like everyone answered your questions already.  I will add confirmation that it is probably a CA model, yes the seat is hard to get on/off (and my Sargent one is even worse to get on/off), I store the manual in the right pannier, have never even once had mine cut off/stall when starting but many people have to adjust idle speed initially, and finally,  replacement LED bulbs are not bright enough so I have not switched to them- I recommend adding *additional* lights on the rear, like an Admore light bar.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:54 AM »
Congrats on the 2015, glad to hear you pulled the trigger.
Enjoy the new toy.

Try and engage the ECO mode for your high idle, quick fix.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
Good point. Out of 3 new Concours' I've bought 2 had backwards batteries.

I wonder if dealers these days are still installing the battery backwards? The positive terminal should be facing out. Not that this has anything to do with the OP issues, I was just wondering.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 06:53:51 AM »
Congrats on the new bike. I can't wait to give one a ride. Some say the changes are small, but could all be good changes.
There is a small tool pouch under the seat with cheap tools. I don't think many people carry the manuals on their bikes.
Enjoy.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:15:22 AM »
It will take a bit for the FOB to correct all of the issues on your bike, but after it does...... PERFECTION!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
Thank you for all the comment guys. First, bike is NOT supposed to be a CA; was bought in NM from their allocation. Due to new emissions requirements, all 2015s apparently have that CA crap now (just like the cars). Oh well. And I said that separately. I know it has nothing to do with the fast-idle problem.

Will try setting the TPS and see what happens. If no fast-idle, will also try setting the ECO mode and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the bike stalled since it was the first time it started, and there was air in the fuel lines, or something.

The battery was installed fine, but it's removed now due to installing a battery charger pigtail. Tech rounded one of the metal battery cover bolts, and all 3 grommets were all messed up. Cleaned all that up. Oh, and '-' cable was barely tight. And '+' just a hair more. After I'm done, it'll be the better test. I'll report results.

Thank you for the rest of the comments. Good to know the seat is not easy to latch in the middle. I'm using exactly the same method described, of resting my weight with the forearm in the middle of the seat while pushing forward, then latching the rear. Hope that was the reason bike sat higher than I remembered. Need to check that the suspension settings are the default ones, so I can adjust from there if needed.

Hey, have some 'plugs' missing (pic attached). Do other bikes have them? Told dealer I want them ordered, along with the stripped bolt for the battery cover.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:28:38 PM by elp_jc »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
The battery was installed fine, but it's removed now due to installing a battery charger pigtail. Tech rounded one of the metal battery cover bolts, and all 3 grommets were all messed up. Cleaned all that up. Oh, and '-' cable was barely tight. And '+' just a hair more. After I'm done, it'll be the better test. I'll report results.

Yep, it is amazing how much the dealer flunkies can mess up on the few things they have to do to "prep" a crated bike.  And if your cables were not tight- that is the #1 cause of problems on the C14 with anything to do with starting problems or strange electronics behavior.  The C14 *hates* those connections not being tight.  That probably explains your issue and I bet you have no more problem now.

Hey, have some 'plugs' missing (pic attached). Do other bikes have them? Told dealer I want them ordered, along with the stripped bolt for the battery cover.

The black bolt covers on the bars are supposed to be there- all six of them.  And they will not just pop off if they are installed properly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »
The C14 *hates* those connections not being tight.  That probably explains your issue and I bet you have no more problem now.
That was the case indeed. Reinstalled battery with all connections tight, fully charged it, set TPS with kill switch in both on and off positions, and it fired up instantly... and at high idle (1,300 rpm). AWESOME! Don't know what did the trick, but I'm a happy guy ;D. Also adjusted the headlights, which were dangerously low (could only see potholes in front of me yesterday). Forgot it had adjusters, but it's better to mess with them when not riding anyway (and that's what I just did now). Ordered CopperDawg screen, but he needs to send me a color sample first due to being the first green he'll make; oh well, will have to be patient with that one. Ordered Throttlemeisters and grip puppies. Will order the TBR black-series as soon as I get an invoice to include their quietest dB insert (P1X). Need to order the PAIR block-off plates too, but need to investigate what's the deal with the EVAP crap my bike now has (like only CA bikes did before), and make sure it's not going to interfere. Couldn't find anywhere how to get to the engine to remove all the PAIR crap. With the P1X insert, might not even need to block them off, and might leave it alone. What really want to find is just the frame for a radiator cover, to install fiberglass screening, rather than the metal crap most have. Don't want both since I suspect airflow issues. With just the screen, never had a single issue, and it gets hot here in TX. That's my update for today. Have a great evening folks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
That was the case indeed. Reinstalled battery with all connections tight, fully charged it, set TPS with kill switch in both on and off positions, and it fired up instantly... and at high idle (1,300 rpm). AWESOME! Don't know what did the trick, but I'm a happy guy ;D.

It was the battery- pretty much always is

Also adjusted the headlights, which were dangerously low (could only see potholes in front of me yesterday).

Yep, yet another dealer prep "service":

* Round out bolts
* Under or over inflate tires
* Lose one of the fobs
* Scratch the bags
* Point headlights in the ground
* Install battery in the hold backwards
* Neglect to tighten battery terminals
* Sometimes screw with the suspension

There are others, but those are the most common

Forgot it had adjusters, but it's better to mess with them when not riding anyway (and that's what I just did now).

I will admit to adjusting while riding, but only when going slowly, straight, and alone.  Still not a great idea, though.

but need to investigate what's the deal with the EVAP crap my bike now has (like only CA bikes did before), and make sure it's not going to interfere.

It won't change the bike in any way other than take up a little space and a little weight.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Couldn't find anywhere how to get to the engine to remove all the PAIR crap.

"PAIR"?

Set tire pressures at 40/42, and seems to be perfect.

Many of us (me included) will recommend 42/42.  But the stock tires are pretty miserable.  Hurry up and wear them out so you can get PR4GT's or something.

Disabled the flashing 'alarm',

Alarm?

set the clock, set brake linking to 'solo', and it's ready to go anywhere. What a great machine. Glad I decided to get the Connie instead of the FJR or K1600GT.

Indeed.  Just wait- you will love it a lot more soon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:14:08 AM »
Thank you for all the comment guys. First, bike is NOT a CA; was bought in NM from their allocation. Due to new emissions requirements, all 2015s apparently have that CA crap now (just like the cars). Oh well. And I said that separately. I know it has nothing to do with the fast-idle problem.

NM is close enough to CA to have the charcoal cannister equipped bikes.  The jury is still out on whether the 15's all have the charcoal canisters.  We'll need to verify that with the someone who buys a 15 on the East coast.  Based on the condition of the bike you received, I don't think I would trust that dealer to give a correct answer concerning how the bikes are equipped or not with emissions stuff.

It's quite amazing to hear about your headlights.  That's been an 'issue' since day one.  Not a biggie to fix but more of an irritation with the dealer setup.  Sorry to hear that the plugs are missing and they should replace those.  Loose battery connections can cause all kinds of grief with this bike.  Glad to hear that was a simple fix.  You may want to check those connections at every oil change.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »
I want to hear more about the flashing alarm.
MY 2014 has a light that flashes continuously after I shut the bike down.
I thought I had done something wrong and went to Kawasaki (several shops) to ask about it.
NONE knew the answer, but eventually 1 guy said it was supposed to do that....
Had no reason why it was flashing....

Does anyone know "what" it is indicating?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »
The blinking dash light on shutdown is explained in the owner's manual as indicating that the "immobilizer" part of KIPASS is working.  Side benefit is that it looks like a security alarm is armed to anyone thinking about boosting your bike.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:32:04 AM »
Merely that there is power to the bike (the main battery). It will shut down automatically after 24 hours with the bike untouched. You can also set the bike to not display that light at all.

As someone already said, it is in your owner's manual.

All part of the magnificence that is KiPass and nothing to worry about. In fact, you should be basking in its glow Ted....

Brian

I want to hear more about the flashing alarm.
MY 2014 has a light that flashes continuously after I shut the bike down.
I thought I had done something wrong and went to Kawasaki (several shops) to ask about it.
NONE knew the answer, but eventually 1 guy said it was supposed to do that....
Had no reason why it was flashing....

Does anyone know "what" it is indicating?

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com