Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 455553 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2015, 06:07:59 AM »
 Is communicating in plain English difficult for those fluent in gobbledygook?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1101 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:21 AM »
Absolutely..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1102 on: July 01, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
You just don't know how difficult that is becoming..

Why just yesterday, I upgraded the OS on a guest partition on an IBM system i.  The primary was at 6.1 and the guest was going to 7.2.  Cleared this through IBM support.  I needed to restore some fixes via tape to the guest so we moved (virtually) a tape adapter over to the guest, did the restore, and left it there.  After the upgrade, we moved the adapter back to the primary.  Then we couldn't get the tape drive to work.  Had to call IBM to replace the adapter.  I'm thinking that the guest updated the firmware on the adapter to 7.2 levels and then the 6.1 OS on the primary just couldn't deal with it and gave up.  It also could be that the fixes on the primary aren't current enough to support the new firmware upload.  So lesson learned, if you are moving adapters on partitions, move them back before you update the partition in question.

Of course, things like this make me crazy and annoyed.

! No longer available
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #1103 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »

Indubitably.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1104 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »
You just don't know how difficult that is becoming..

Why just yesterday, I upgraded the OS on a guest partition on an IBM system i.  The primary was at 6.1 and the guest was going to 7.2.  Cleared this through IBM support.  I needed to restore some fixes via tape to the guest so we moved (virtually) a tape adapter over to the guest, did the restore, and left it there.  After the upgrade, we moved the adapter back to the primary.  Then we couldn't get the tape drive to work.  Had to call IBM to replace the adapter.  I'm thinking that the guest updated the firmware on the adapter to 7.2 levels and then the 6.1 OS on the primary just couldn't deal with it and gave up.  It also could be that the fixes on the primary aren't current enough to support the new firmware upload.  So lesson learned, if you are moving adapters on partitions, move them back before you update the partition in question.

Of course, things like this make me crazy and annoyed.

I didn't realize tape is still being employed for storage, that would make me crazy right there. I had to google it!  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1105 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
More than you think..  Real men use tape.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:25:12 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1106 on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
Absolutely..
Made perfect sense to me.

I didn't realize tape is still being employed for storage, that would make me crazy right there. I had to google it!  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/  ;D
Almost all large ("real") computer systems use tape backup.  Sometimes in addition to online backup, but still used extensively.

Jamie (iSeries user since they came out. S36 & S38 before that...)
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1107 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »

What else would work better?
I have a LTO4 tape library and each tape can hold 1.6 TBs for the cost of around $100 per tape.
We have approximately 100 tapes and at any given time there are around 30 tapes offsite.
I have backups going back 13 months. 
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1108 on: July 02, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »
Youtube vids that won't embed..
you can ou geek any computer, but can't embed a youtube vid????

hehehehe

simply paste the link, and erase the S from the https:xxxxxxx part of the link....

works for me on this site.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1109 on: July 02, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
What else would work better?
I have a LTO4 tape library and each tape can hold 1.6 TBs for the cost of around $100 per tape.
We have approximately 100 tapes and at any given time there are around 30 tapes offsite.
I have backups going back 13 months.

You do know that LTO6 is out now...

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1110 on: July 02, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
Yes, but why upgrade if LTO4 does the trick. :)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1111 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
That's no way to stimulate the economy..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1112 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Yes, but why upgrade if LTO4 does the trick. :)
Exactly what I said about XP

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #1113 on: July 02, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »

I think you meant DOS.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1114 on: July 02, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »

Cost is not quite the same. ;)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1115 on: July 03, 2015, 06:08:21 AM »
DOS and XP and LTO4  :yikes: :deadhorse:

As long as you are doing nothing new with your computers then XP would be OK.  The problem with me is that I continuously evolve in what I use on my personal computers at home.  I'm currently on 8.1 (without issues mind you) and look forward to Windows 10.  Newer printers and devices sometimes require more modern drivers and I want to be ready for that.  I know that within this year I'll probably update my router to support AC wireless that has larger bandwidth capabilities as everyone in the household has wireless devices and they know how to use them.  I'm streaming more on TV shows and movies.  And I'm in a continuous update mode.  I work on IBM i mid-range computer systems and have done so since 1988.  The base OS of that system has not changed visually since then but the underlying system (processors, memory, disk, functionality) is light years ahead of what it did originally in 1988 and is still fairly strong in the marketplace (believe it or not) and is running most Fortune 500 company's financial systems on the back end.  Silently humming away without fear of virus' or hacking attempts, unlike Intel based servers that require an army of support and breed servers like rabbits and are rampant with virus', malware, and hacking attempts.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1116 on: July 03, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
... is light years ahead of what it did originally in 1988 and is still fairly strong in the marketplace (believe it or not) and is running most Fortune 500 company's financial systems on the back end.  Silently humming away without fear of virus' or hacking attempts, unlike Intel based servers that require an army of support and breed servers like rabbits and are rampant with virus', malware, and hacking attempts.

Preach It Brother!

All my PC/Network friends scoff at me when I tell them that my iSeries box would not only run circles around their Windoze machines, it would do it forever (ok, maybe a little hyperbole there)

In over 20 years, I've only seen it down for about 15 days or so cumulative... (other than planned outages for backup, upgrades, maintenance etc.)

Used to do capacity planning for a VAR, but I'm not doing any h/w or architecture work on them anymore, just programming now, but I'm still an iSeries evangelist...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #1117 on: July 03, 2015, 11:37:18 AM »
People push shopping carts around the supermarket in much the same way the drive a car. I envision a grocery store in the future set up much like an internet shopping experience where you walk around and click or touch either a handheld screen or a screen with a photo of the item you want and that item is either picked up there or retrieved from the back storage area and taken to the "checkout" area and when you are finished shopping a scanner "reads" your handheld device or store ID and calls up your order already packed and on a conveyor belt to the loading area where it is either picked up by you or loaded into whatever vehicle you are driving.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1118 on: July 03, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
Several grocery chains here offer online shopping and delivery service.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1119 on: July 03, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
They do in England for sure...   I would like to see a grocery app that I can use to find things as my grocery store 'Food Lion  :censored: ' moves things around and I can't find them.  This, of course, makes me crazy and annoyed.