Author Topic: Buying a C14 or R1200RT tomorrow  (Read 43469 times)

Offline Kurt

Buying a C14 or R1200RT tomorrow
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:01 PM »

I am buying a C14 or BMW R1200RT tomorrow. I can't decide which to get as both motorcycles seem to be great, yet different from each other.

I appreciate the comfort features of the R120RT: Heated seat, greater wind protection, more comfortable seat (subjective, I realize), and cruise control. I also appreciate the features of the C14: The engine, shifting smoothly, looks (subjective!), and hopefully lower cost maintenance.

Has anyone here owned, or debated a C14 and R1200RT? What brought you to the C14 in the end?

I suppose that I would be happy with either, but possibly for different reasons. Any insight you could add would be valued.

Thank You.

Kurt

Offline Spanky

Re: Buying a C14 or R1200RT tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
I test rode both, Love the looks of the RT, but I twisted connies throttle and the love affair began. The BMW engine is smooth but felt almost docile compared to the 14. Many of the things you listed that you like on the BMW are easily added to the C-14 especially if you are doing a $ for $ comparison. You can't go wrong with either bike, they are both very nice motorcycles - buy the one that makes the little man tingle :).

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
So you're buying one of them tomorrow but still undecided?? Maybe some test rides and research is in order Kurt...  ???

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
I sold my R1150RT due to maintenance costs and I wanted more performance.  The RT was really comfortable and did indeed offer a touch more protection, which is nice here in the Pacific Northwet.  I do about 20-24000 a year, the wetter the better.  With my Cee Baileys Eurocut I get all the upper protection I need, the only thing I am missing is foot protection, so I got a pair of Alpinstar Scouts, really great boots, works for both street and DS riding.
I dont miss the RT.
Another reason to buy the C14?  This forum and all the great folks with sound advice and witty humor (something that was missing from the RT forums).  Both are great bikes, if you're into fairly sedate rides and dont mind the service costs, get the RT, if you want to fling snot with most sport bikes, get the C14, and of course, she is a great long distance canyon carver, one or two up.
Good luck, hope this helps :)

Offline Kurt

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »
So you're buying one of them tomorrow but still undecided?? Maybe some test rides and research is in order Kurt...  ???

I rode them both and loved them both! I am totally torn. I am not sure that I can make a wrong choice, as they are both great.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »
Let the service costs help you out, look into just a simple brake flush.  We'll be reading how you love the silky smoothness of the 14, once you wipe the SEG off your face ;D

Offline gnuse

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »
As a recent BMW R1150RT owner, that has had two of them and loved them, I recently bought an '11 C14 and I am absolutely certain that I will not miss the RT's nor the dealers that $ervice them. This is after 40 years of BMW ownership. C14 handles much better, goes better, burns more fuel, and I love it! Any questions?
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »
I rode them both and loved them both! I am totally torn. I am not sure that I can make a wrong choice, as they are both great.

Kurt, I bought an RT in March 2008. I didn't know if to get a 1300GT or the RT, so I basically tossed a coin. In March '09, after only 4500 miles with the BMW, I bought the C14, and had them both in the garage for one year, in which I did 500 miles on the RT and 10 thousand on the C14. So, in april 2010 I sold the BMW. Not one bit of regret. As you say, it is a comfy bike, well made, but didn't light my soul. My Suzuki Bandit 600S was a bike, while the BMW was a car on two wheels. It got the job done, but every time I walked away from it I forgot it existed. My C14 makes me feel nice about life, the BMW didn't. The BMW was a tool, a Ducati would be a lover, and the C14 seats in the middle, with the sum of both aspects being higher than in any other bike I ever drove (and because of my job, I drive many).

So, as you can see, this is a very personal issue. I could point out that I lost some few thousands on the "BMW experiment" by buying and selling it, but this is bikes, not shares, and I do it for pleasure, not profit, so I won't even mention the details. It may be important to mention that I don't see vibrations as character, but as a nuisance, so in my book the more cylinders the better.

I also discovered that to me the cruise control is not that interesting on a bike as it is on a car, so I went with the GoCruise ($17) on the Kawasaki and it more than covers my needs. I also fitted her with grip and seat heating. Basically, I have almost* the same creature comforts as in the BMW, for a lower cost, more power, same reliability in my case, at least thus far; I sold the BMW with 5000 miles and the Kawa has 25000 miles, both had zero issues to report.

*The only thing missing is the ESA suspension. I'd gladly pay those $700 extra to get it. Or more. Are you listening, Kawasaki?!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:24:33 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:27:35 AM »
Huge $$$ differences. I just saw a new C-14 for $12000 and a new RT for $21000. At that cost of the RT I  would go for the C-14, but if I wanted to go BMW I'd put a few more $$ out for the GT or GTL. IMHO.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »
Of course there is some bias here.....

Like Chet, the service costs on the RT was one of the deciding factors for me to part with it.  That and if I needed  service done(that I couldn't do myself) like having the bike attached to the moditech computer, I had to travel to another state as there isn't a dealer locally.  I really loved riding that bike.  I didn't need to make any ergo changes as it was confortable right off the floor.   
Over the years, I have been watching the c10 then the c14.  I have a friend that put 186,000 miles on a c10 and I always thought I should give them a try.  Anyway, I found a used c14 with 300 miles on it and decided to give it a try.  While I needed to make some ergo changes, I am happy with getting rid of the RT. 
I found after 30,000 miles on the RT the opposed twin was pretty vibey.  Although that is the nature of the beast.
T.S.R.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:21 AM »
Let the service costs help you out, look into just a simple brake flush.  We'll be reading how you love the silky smoothness of the 14, once you wipe the SEG off your face ;D

Check  out the cost of service every 6000 miles on the RT and that will help you decide, especially if you ride a lot.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline katata1100

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:05 AM »
I have never ridden a BMW before, but will offer my 2 cents:
I never consider BMW because the nearest dealer is 45 miles away and there maybe
two in my state.The dealer network is much smaller than Kawa, not very comforting...

Offline Shoe

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
The BMW RT's have always been hard on my back. I've had three Kawasaki's and all have been kind to my back. Maybe its the seating position. The Kawi's were C10, ZZR1200 and C14.

I think cruise control is over rated as far as needs are concerned.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
Check  out the cost of service every 6000 miles on the RT and that will help you decide, especially if you ride a lot.

I read this all the time.  Why don't you save us the trouble of calling around and telling us how much service is on the two bikes so we can compare?
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline SPX

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
I am in a similar situation as Kurt is. I own a 2005 R1200RT which I love. To be honest, I have no complaints about it at all. That said, I have heard some great things about the Concours, and am debating adding one to my garage, if only because I think that it too is probably a great bike.

I have ridden the Concours on an extended test ride, and the only issue that I experienced about the Concours which I was not happy with was there was a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds. I am assuming that this could be addressed by the installation of a larger windscreen.

After my test ride on the Concours, I want to purchase one, because I think that it's a great motorcycle. I don't particularly need one, and I think that you can't go wrong with either the BMW R1200RT or the Concours. With that said, they are different enough bikes that I think one could get away with one of each and not feel like there's too much redundancy in what they offer.

I read this all the time.  Why don't you save us the trouble of calling around and telling us how much service is on the two bikes so we can compare?

I can shed some light on the BMW. Can someone do the same for the Concours?

Dealer Services:
6,000 mile service: $304.55
12,000 mile service: $518.52
18,000 mile service: $312.62
24,000 mile service: $609.07
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:02:49 PM by SPX »

Offline dgshaffer

• Don Shaffer
    • My photos
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
My 2009 K1300GT is in the shop now at 16,778 miles getting it's first final drive replacement. Thankfully it's still under warranty.

My 2005 1150RT got it's first final drive replaced at 28,000 unfortunately it was outside of the 36 month warranty and did I mention I was in Nova ****** Scotia?

I bought my first Connie 14 two days after I dropped the GT off for repair. Lesson learned.

Lets watch the language, guys.....VJ
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:01:32 AM by VirginiaJim »
Don Shaffer
2011 Connie, Blazing Black!, 2009 BMW K1300GT,
2007 Triumph Bonneville America
My Photos

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I bought my C14 from a Kawasaki/BMW dealer so had a good opportunity to compair both.

BMW = expensive to buy, lower depreciation, high spec of options as standard, higher cost for maintainance, concern of final drive reliability, the bike was more 'agricultural' to ride (more 'slop'  in the final drive, and noisier engine) and less smooth, accessories were very expensive.

Kawasaki = Very smooth/powerful motor, much cheaper maintainance costs ($100's cheaper), no reliability issues, will depreciate more, prefered the overall look of the bike.

Looking at them side by side in the showroom I simply couldn't justify the extra expense and maintainance costs of the BMW.and that bloody whiny noise they make aghh!!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »
Just a thought but are you sure about the depreciation? I would agree that the BMW would seem to depreciate less as the resale value is a much higher dollar value but I wonder about the actual cost of devaluation. For example: if a C-14 is $14K, and the BMW is $20K, what is the actual dollar value of depreciation over the same time period? The same thing is often said about Harley Davidsons but I have not found it to be correct in actual practice- it seems so because the used bikes command a much higher value than their Japanese competition but once the extremely high price of initial purchase is considered, there is less 'out of pocket' loss on most Japanese bikes.

Brian

I bought my C14 from a Kawasaki/BMW dealer so had a good opportunity to compair both.

BMW = expensive to buy, lower depreciation, high spec of options as standard, higher cost for maintainance, concern of final drive reliability, the bike was more 'agricultural' to ride (more 'slop'  in the final drive, and noisier engine) and less smooth, accessories were very expensive.

Kawasaki = Very smooth/powerful motor, much cheaper maintainance costs ($100's cheaper), no reliability issues, will depreciate more, prefered the overall look of the bike.

Looking at them side by side in the showroom I simply couldn't justify the extra expense and maintainance costs of the BMW.and that bloody whiny noise they make aghh!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Just a thought but are you sure about the depreciation? I would agree that the BMW would seem to depreciate less as the resale value is a much higher dollar value but I wonder about the actual cost of devaluation. For example: if a C-14 is $14K, and the BMW is $20K, what is the actual dollar value of depreciation over the same time period? The same thing is often said about Harley Davidsons but I have not found it to be correct in actual practice- it seems so because the used bikes command a much higher value than their Japanese competition but once the extremely high price of initial purchase is considered, there is less 'out of pocket' loss on most Japanese bikes.

Brian
The depreciation comment is based on what the dealer said. He claimed the BMW maintained a higher second hand value compaired to the Kawasaki.
In the showroom were s/h examples of both and the Kawasaki appeared to take the bigger first hit in the % drop on bikes 1-2 yrs old, dont understand why people by a new bike only to sell it again a few months later. I tend to change every three yrs, keep it as mint as possible, follow the maintainance schedule and get a good trade in price every time.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
Not too many people in this forum are paying sticker for a C-14. So the dealer eats over half of the depreciation.
Joel from Maine.