Author Topic: upgrading battery!!  (Read 2641 times)

Offline gtr a14

upgrading battery!!
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
Hey, im runing the standard yb18 battery, i often have sat nav, phone running lights and spot lights on.
Should i get an upgraded battery and if so what do i get? :-\

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: upgrading battery!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Has this one not been working?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
If you're having trouble with the amount of power you are drawing, a bigger battery isn't going to help.  It might mask the symptoms a bit, (if you put the bike on a charger between rides) but in the long run, you're going to have to upgrade your alternator to a ZZR alternator, or decrease how much you are drawing from the battery.  LEDs can help with that.  I run a set of LED driving lights where I used to use halogen lights.  54W total now where I used to have 110W.  I've got an LED headlight that I like - 20W on low, 40W on high.  (vs. 55/60 on standard H4)  Replacing the running/brake/turn lights with LEDs can save some wattage, too, but you'll need to replace your blinker relay as well.  And the dash lights can be replaced saving a few more watts.

How much wattage are your spot lights and running lights?  (I wouldn't worry about the phone and GPS - those generally don't use enough to be an issue.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:12 AM »
Has this one not been working?
Yeah its working but sometimes find it hard to start, so assumed the battery was struggling with the draw on it !

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:28:38 AM »
If you're having trouble with the amount of power you are drawing, a bigger battery isn't going to help.  It might mask the symptoms a bit, (if you put the bike on a charger between rides) but in the long run, you're going to have to upgrade your alternator to a ZZR alternator, or decrease how much you are drawing from the battery.  LEDs can help with that.  I run a set of LED driving lights where I used to use halogen lights.  54W total now where I used to have 110W.  I've got an LED headlight that I like - 20W on low, 40W on high.  (vs. 55/60 on standard H4)  Replacing the running/brake/turn lights with LEDs can save some wattage, too, but you'll need to replace your blinker relay as well.  And the dash lights can be replaced saving a few more watts.

How much wattage are your spot lights and running lights?  (I wouldn't worry about the phone and GPS - those generally don't use enough to be an issue.)
HI, spots are about 50w, the running lights are led so only about 9w. Will replace the spots have ordered led spots from internet, i have changed dash bulbs to led so will now replace brake/turn etc too.

And if all else fails will change alternator ( got plenty of led bulbs) cheapest fix is best !!  ;D

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
Are you running a volt meter? Highly recommended iff'n you have electronical farkles.

Is this on a C-10 or 14?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
Are you running a volt meter? Highly recommended iff'n you have electronical farkles.

Is this on a C-10 or 14?
No not running a voltmeter, its on my c10, voltmeter sounds like a plan!  :)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:54 AM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »
I've got this one on my C10 and like it a lot.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/8115/i/kuryakyn-led-battery-gauge
That's the same volt meter that I use. Mine has several years and over 100,000 miles on it with no issues.

The LED's are a bit bright, though. Nothing that some 90% window tint couldn't cure.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)