Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303349 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1300 on: May 24, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
I dropped HBO but I could pick up Netflix long enough to watch season 4.

It was pretty good.  If you also want to see Black Mirror 5 and  tranger Things 3, you might want to delay a month or two and enjoy all 3 for a single month price.  I will resume probably when ST3 comes out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1301 on: June 04, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »
Flippin through the channels looking for something to watch last night. Came across the 'new' Halloween movie on Netflix. I've never been a fan of this series but my wife wanted to see it and IMDB gave it a 6.7 so why not?

WTF?  :o

This was one of the stupidest movies that I have EVER seen! I'm serious! This movie had even more plot holes than did A Quiet Place.

What a POS!!!

Warning, spoiler ahead. (as if this 'movie' could be spoiled)

Why did she burn down her ENTIRE house in order to kill Michael? He was hopelessly trapped in her basement and she could have easily shot him through the bars of the basement door.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1302 on: June 04, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
It's only a movie, C.  You could have switched out to something else you know.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1303 on: June 05, 2019, 06:54:10 AM »
It's only a movie, C.  You could have switched out to something else you know.

Did you forget the part where my wife wanted to watch that movie?  :o

True, I could have left the room and in retrospect, I wish that I had.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1304 on: June 05, 2019, 07:13:59 AM »
Yeah, as I get older I find myself more and more annoyed by 'bad' video no matter if it is a movie, a documentary, TV shows / series, etc.. In the olden' days, we would always watch a movie that we, say, rented and then call it awful. Now I shut things down once they have proven to be awful and go do / watch something else.

The thing that makes it really lousy, at least for me, is that there really are great things out there to watch so there is a constant thought (hope?) that whatever I am watching will turn around and get better, or at least tolerable. So there is always the desire to hang in and watch something, especially if it has great reviews or is thought of as a great movie, classic or similar.

Lately I find myself watching some really old films because they are often highly rated and hey, they cannot be worse than most of the other, modern things available anyway. The most recent was Double Indemnity; dated of course but not a terrible film. Certainly better than a lot of current movies and of course a classic so I can cross that one off my list. :-)

Brian

Did you forget the part where my wife wanted to watch that movie?  :o

True, I could have left the room and in retrospect, I wish that I had.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #1305 on: June 05, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »
Been recording and watching all of the MotoAmerica races and now the Isle of Man TT. The schedules are in the links below if anyone is interested.

https://motoamerica.com/2018/11/motoamerica-2019-10-rounds-on-tap-for-new-season/

https://www.iomtt.com/tt-info/the-tt-on-tv
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1306 on: June 11, 2019, 07:01:53 AM »
Watched season 5 of Black Mirror. Only three episodes; one was very good IMO but the other two range between terrible and terrible ^2. The second episode was a clear knock- off of 'Facebook' and the very well done.

It seems like they are produced in different parts of the world with this year's episode 1 and 3 being American and episode 2 being English. Looks like the Limeys carried the day on this season while the American episodes were about as bad as I have seen.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1307 on: June 11, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Limey's Brian?  Really?   :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1308 on: June 11, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Yeah, Limeys. Slang term though not derogatory. They got that moniker due to their storing and eating limes on sea voyages to prevent scurvy. In fact, the original warehouse for limes, located on the Thames (incorrectly pronounced "Tems" by the Limeys BTW; if that is correct, is the male name James would be pronounced "Jems") is still called Limehouse, I think. I <believe> this whole thing was either discovered or perhaps put into general practice within the Royal Navy by Capt. James Cook.

I assume it is in the same vein that they call us 'Yanks', which is not derogatory either, at least not to me.

N.B. The English men were not too happy when their little island nation was suddenly loaded with US servicemen. And to exacerbate the problem, US soldiers were paid far more than Brit. serviceman, at least during WWII, so the US GI's had more dough to spend, often on / for the local women. All of this led to their little saying:

The problem with Yanks is:
1) They are overpaid.
2) They are oversexed.
3 They are over HERE.

I believe the US personnel's response was:
1) You are underpaid.
2) You are undersexed.
3) You are under Eisenhower.

Hey, you gotta' have something to start a drunken fist- fight on Sat. nights, right?  ;D

Brian

Limey's Brian?  Really?   :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1309 on: June 11, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
Watched season 5 of Black Mirror. Only three episodes; one was very good IMO but the other two range between terrible and terrible ^2. The second episode was a clear knock- off of 'Facebook' and the very well done.

It seems like they are produced in different parts of the world with this year's episode 1 and 3 being American and episode 2 being English. Looks like the Limeys carried the day on this season while the American episodes were about as bad as I have seen

Well, glad I dropped Netflix Streaming weeks ago, then.  How is 3 episodes a "season", anyway?  Of the original stuff, some was fantastic, others so-so, but overall it was very entertaining.  When I reactivate in late Summer, I will check it out, though.

* Meanwhile, I watched "Chernobyl" (sp?) 5-hour miniseries on HBO.   It was quite good.  "A"

* Also watched Sneaky Pete (binge watched all 30 hours) from Amazon.  It was entertaining.  First season was best and went downhill the next two.  Overall it was a "B".

* Also watched the new Mary Poppins Returns movie last night.  Her (Poppins) acting was contrived and accent forced and poor, but her singing, and the music, and animation were all fantastic.  Choreography and cinematography were good.  Story was so-so, too much redo and not enough new ground.  Thought the "pants wearing" of the sister was kinda stupid.  Lamplighter did well, as did the children.  VanDyke over-acted his small part.  The father was too passive and couldn't stand his [thankfully limited] singing.  Overall, a "C", maybe C+.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1310 on: June 11, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »
Trust me, watching episodes 1 & 3 and you will feel like it was several seasons..... Black Mirror always has been very 'hit & miss' IMO but these episodes set the bar really low- like in the dungeon below the floor. All IMO of course, others may find them OK or even good.

As to the new Mary Poppins having a forced accent, I find that surprising because Emily Blunt really is English (or as Jim would say, a 'Limey'  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:) so her accent should be natural. ?? I have not seen the movie, just saying  that I am surprised.

I also really liked Chernobyl although some of the technical aspects were over- simplified. Still, it is very good as long as you take it as entertainment and not a reactor lesson; there is not a 'tricky spot' in the use of those reactors as per that series but instead a terrible flaw in the design of the reactor in the first place, it behaves like positive feedback meaning turning up the power actually causes it to rise substantially and unstably in output. By that I mean it rises further than was controlled by humans to so, meaning it is an unstable, dangerous design. Good thing there are only a dozen or so left operational, huh?  :o :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Brian

Well, glad I dropped Netflix Streaming weeks ago, then.  How is 3 episodes a "season", anyway?  Of the original stuff, some was fantastic, others so-so, but overall it was very entertaining.  When I reactivate in late Summer, I will check it out, though.

* Meanwhile, I watched "Chernobyl" (sp?) 5-hour miniseries on HBO.   It was quite good.  "A"

* Also watched Sneaky Pete (binge watched all 30 hours) from Amazon.  It was entertaining.  First season was best and went downhill the next two.  Overall it was a "B".

* Also watched the new Mary Poppins Returns movie last night.  Her (Poppins) acting was contrived and accent forced and poor, but her singing, and the music, and animation were all fantastic.  Choreography and cinematography were good.  Story was so-so, too much redo and not enough new ground.  Thought the "pants wearing" of the sister was kinda stupid.  Lamplighter did well, as did the children.  VanDyke over-acted his small part.  The father was too passive and couldn't stand his [thankfully limited] singing.  Overall, a "C", maybe C+.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1311 on: June 11, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »
As to the new Mary Poppins having a forced accent, I find that surprising because Emily Blunt really is English (or as Jim would say, a 'Limey'  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:) so her accent should be natural. ?? I have not seen the movie, just saying  that I am surprised.

LOL!  Well, something is terribly "off" about it.   Perhaps it would sound more normal if she weren't trying so hard to be ultra-proper.

* Oh, now captivated by the new Amazon "Good Omens."  Three hours into it- wow, funny, creative, different...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1312 on: June 11, 2019, 10:00:22 PM »
just watched Satan and Adam, on netflix.. kinda relates to my life.
not gonna say much more, it's a great Bluesman storyline, and well done... I can relate to it very well.
I liked it, you may not. we are all different.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1313 on: June 12, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »
My wife and I watched Deadwood (the movie) on HBO the other day.

While we both loved the Deadwood series the movie left a LOT to be desired.

Don't bother.     :thumbdown

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1314 on: July 16, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
Not so much what I am watching as it is <how> I am watching. Been with COX for 2 1/2 yrs. or so and of course the bill went up by ~$60 at the end of the 2 year cycle. Went to FIOS and they just could not cut the price enough to make it worthwhile to switch. A few days ago in Wally World a young human accosted my wife about our cable service and now, apparently they can go lower- back down to the ~$60 or so that COX raised the price some months ago. Actually it is a bit cheaper 'cause we are not going with the 'movie channel package' and are going to try HBO GO instead and make other arrangements for Showtime, perhaps buying the service when new shows are available, perhaps not.

Anyway, the ISP / TV / Phone (landline) wars go on.......

ON TOPIC: my wife is watching Big Little Lies and seems to like it. I tried an episode but it 'ain't makin' it for me' but hey, such is life, right? So now I guess she will be watching Big Little Lies on HBO GO. Tapping fingers waiting to see how that works out (my wife has negative patience: she is cranky and out of control, emotionally, just BEFORE a problem presents itself  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:).

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1315 on: July 17, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
I wonder if she is related to MOB?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1316 on: July 17, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Jessica Jones season 3
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1317 on: July 17, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
I wonder if she is related to MOB?

WE ARE THE kNIGHTS... THAT SAY....neeeeeeee.....neeeeeeee....NEEEEEEEEEEEEE

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1318 on: October 03, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »
My wife and I went out to  the theater to see Ad Astra last weekend.

We were VERY disappointed. Visually is was gorgeous to watch but the story line was so thin and totally boring! I almost fell asleep a couple of times. 

Don't bother with this one at the theater, wait for it be available to stream. That way you can sleep on your own couch.

Who knew that Saturn and Jupiter were THAT close to each other?    ::)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1319 on: October 03, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
That is kinda' amusing because I was visiting my son (OK, really my granddaughter!) last week and the kids took the opportunity to go out, something almost unheard of with them (no babysitters, new to the area, etc.). They went to see the same thing and my son had high expectations. They were at least as disappointed as you and thought it sucked also.

I believe you folks about this movie but it is getting <decent> ratings which is a bit odd.

Brian

My wife and I went out to  the theater to see Ad Astra last weekend.

We were VERY disappointed. Visually is was gorgeous to watch but the story line was so thin and totally boring! I almost fell asleep a couple of times. 

Don't bother with this one at the theater, wait for it be available to stream. That way you can sleep on your own couch.

Who knew that Saturn and Jupiter were THAT close to each other?    ::)