Author Topic: Cops handcuff and interrogate boy, 7, for hours over missing $5  (Read 3365 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Cops handcuff and interrogate boy, 7, for hours over missing $5
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
This kid was no killer — but some callous Bronx cops sure treated him like one.

Instead of earning himself a simple trip to the principal’s office, a terrified 7-year-old boy was hauled out of class, handcuffed like a hardened criminal and “interrogated” by police for a grueling 10 hours — all over a playground dispute involving $5, his family is charging.

“My son was crying, ‘Mommy, it wasn’t me! Mommy, it wasn’t me!’ I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We’re traumatized,” Wilson Reyes’ distraught mom, Frances Mendez told The Post last night.

“Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs!’’ she said. “It was horrible. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

The bizarre overreaction by cops came after the child had been accused of swiping $5 from another student after school.

The money, which was supposed to be used for a school trip that never happened, had fallen on the ground in front of Wilson and two other boys, and one of them scooped it up.

Wilson was falsely accused of taking it, and he scuffled with one of the kids.

Officers showed up at PS X114 on Dec. 4 at about 10:20 a.m., and handcuffed and held Wilson in a room there for four hours. They then hauled him off to the 44th Precinct station house for another six hours of interrogation and verbal abuse, according to a $250 million claim against the city and the NYPD.

The boy protested his innocence, to no avail.

“Reyes was handcuffed and verbally, physically and emotionally abused, intimidated, humiliated, embarrassed and defamed,” the documents say. He was then charged with robbery.

Mendez said that she and her sister first went to the station house, they were told they couldn’t see her son.

More here: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cops_are_cuff_guys_with_kid_eaRQ39892kXQndMJkDgY9J

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Cops handcuff and interrogate boy, 7, for hours over missing $5
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
$250 Million? I mean $225 Million, maybe $230 Million, but $250 Million is just over the top.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
More than once I was taken down to the boiler room and received "corporal punishment" with a long-handled plywood paddle.

That's probably what kept me on the straight-and-narrow (well, straigher and somewhat narrower) rather than going to juvie.

But those days are gone.

Cuffs and such sounds a little excessive.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

devilboy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
FWIW the New York Post  is hardly a legitimate  newspaper and they are maybe a 1/2 a step above the tabloids that spout stuff like I had sex with a three headed alien  etc... when the see the story in the NY Times it  might give the story some credence. When I lived in NY I read the Post for sports ..It looks like the paper has gone further downhill . just my opinion   

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
...and the New York Times is a bastion of truth, justice and the American way?  :pukeface:

devilboy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »
...and the New York Times is a bastion of truth, justice and the American way?  :pukeface:

Hardly  but I think it comes closer to reporting news   than creating it.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
I live in Cleveland Ohio, a one paper town that can and does print anything it wants and to its readers and many others, its the God's honest truth as its in print therefore its true, because reporters can get sued if they lie right? Its a yellow rag that has its readers thinking that northern Ohio is like the rest of the world when it isn't, hell, the rest of Ohio isn't even like northern Ohio. Anyhow, I really enjoyed going to Toronto to visit friends, there are LOTS of newpapers there, he would get one Liberal and one Conservative paper every day and it would be such a load of fun to compare the same stories and how they slant each one to their views. One even had a girly page similar to the U.K.'s page 3 girls.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
FWIW the New York Post  is hardly a legitimate  newspaper and they are maybe a 1/2 a step above the tabloids that spout stuff like I had sex with a three headed alien  etc... when the see the story in the NY Times it  might give the story some credence. When I lived in NY I read the Post for sports ..It looks like the paper has gone further downhill . just my opinion   
How many sources do you want?

https://www.google.com/search?q=boy+handcuffed+%245&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta#q=boy+handcuffed+%245&hl=en&client=firefox-beta&hs=ZW6&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=0t8JUYbzB8Xh0gGF64GgDw&ved=0CDAQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.dmQ&fp=c3103ad2b09eba99&biw=1280&bih=601

ABC, CNN, Wall Street Journal, Fox, NY1, Washington Times, CBS...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
Not related to this particular story, but current journalists are very lazy these days, a number of stories that were not true in recent years that have appeared in an internet site, or on a another source have been "picked up" by various major news agencies and run as if it was a real story. Just because all the major news outlets have run it doesn't mean its a real story. I'm sure theres a reason that goes back to protocols or procedures from a prior incident where it was decided that certain things will be done from now on when certain things are done such as questioning children. I know it sounds incredible for this to have been done, but I'm sure we not hearing the whole story and this very well can be a case of being reported out of context. It may have been the best thing at the time to do this as sometimes thats the only thing you can do to protect somebody who may be out of control. And it could be protocol to do this to every kid questioned. I know I've done some things to patients to protect myself and them that looking back may have raised a few eyebrows.

devilboy

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
How many sources do you want?

https://www.google.com/search?q=boy+handcuffed+%245&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta#q=boy+handcuffed+%245&hl=en&client=firefox-beta&hs=ZW6&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=univ&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=0t8JUYbzB8Xh0gGF64GgDw&ved=0CDAQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.dmQ&fp=c3103ad2b09eba99&biw=1280&bih=601

ABC, CNN, Wall Street Journal, Fox, NY1, Washington Times, CBS...

Jon  I dont doubt the story at all  .I was implying that the whole thing is most likely blown out of proportion to reality.. I have NO idea what these police officers were thinking when they did this. Even if it is only partially true , it is an outrageous way to treat a young child and even if the boy killed someone the treatment is excessive to say the least...

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
This sounds to me like one of those "if it sounds too outrageous to be true" kind of stories. I personally don't believe it, at least not the way it is being told. Part of the reason is right there in the story.....
Instead of earning himself a simple trip to the principal’s office, a terrified 7-year-old boy was hauled out of class, handcuffed like a hardened criminal and “interrogated” by police for a grueling 10 hours — all over a playground dispute involving $5, his family is charging.

“My son was crying, ‘Mommy, it wasn’t me! Mommy, it wasn’t me!’ I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We’re traumatized,” Wilson Reyes’ distraught mom, Frances Mendez told The Post last night.

If that is the story that mom told ...... that is the story that was reported. And quoting additional sources doesn't provide any credit, those are just other outlets picking it up and running it. In my 25+ years as an LEO I can recall many scenes that I was directly involved in only to see the story told, stretched, twisted, retold, and edited into something that didn't even come close to the actual truth. It happens all the time. All that aside, I personally think that $5 on a school playground is not a matter for the police to be involved with in the first place, it should have been handled on the school level. But obviously, for whatever reason, they were called. None of us were there so none of us can say for sure, but my 2 cents says there is a lot more to this story that isn't being reported in the media OR there is actually a lot less to the story, but that version doesn't sell news. How can they report it if it isn't true?? the lines "his family is charging" and "distraught mom, Frances Mendez told The Post last night".
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

devilboy

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
This sounds to me like one of those "if it sounds too outrageous to be true" kind of stories. I personally don't believe it, at least not the way it is being told. Part of the reason is right there in the story.....

If that is the story that mom told ...... that is the story that was reported. And quoting additional sources doesn't provide any credit, those are just other outlets picking it up and running it. In my 25+ years as an LEO I can recall many scenes that I was directly involved in only to see the story told, stretched, twisted, retold, and edited into something that didn't even come close to the actual truth. It happens all the time. All that aside, I personally think that $5 on a school playground is not a matter for the police to be involved with in the first place, it should have been handled on the school level. But obviously, for whatever reason, they were called. None of us were there so none of us can say for sure, but my 2 cents says there is a lot more to this story that isn't being reported in the media OR there is actually a lot less to the story, but that version doesn't sell news. How can they report it if it isn't true?? the lines "his family is charging" and "distraught mom, Frances Mendez told The Post last night".

+1    you said it  much better than I did..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »
I agree ock.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
I can't say anything about the truthfullness of this story, but I DID have a similar and serious incident between the local Sheriff's office and my 5 year old daughter.

This was 10 years ago; she was in kindergarten. An allegation was made by another kindegarten girl that a kindergarten boy had touched her in some manner, resulting in here clothes somehow being damaged. When she told the teacher, it became a "sexual assault" and the police were brought in to the school.

The girl claimed my daughter and her little best friend had "seen" the "sexual assault". without notifying us (parents) the police proceeded to question / interrogate my daughter and her friend. Isolated with the officers only, of course. and 2 5 year old girls who knows nothing of sexual matters is being questioned by a couple MALE deputies.

The principle - it was his first year - Felt that it was "wrong" so HE called us. I went to the school to see what was going on, and the police told me there was an ongoing investigation, that my daughter was a witness, and I COULD NOT be present for any questioning. Their reasoning - get this - is that any sexual allegation is made regarding a minor, parents cannot be involved in case the behavior was "learned" from the parents. What CRAP! especially in this case; my daughter was supposedly a "witness".

I freakin' hit the roof! I called their supervisors and raised hell. My daughter was released to me; and I ended up in several meetings with the Sheriif's higher-ups and their attorneys to prevent this kind of thing again. BTW, during those meetings the attorney was understanding and interested in a fair re-assessment of the sheriff's policy. The sherriff's representative - a major IIRC was completely militaristic and unreasonable, as if WE PARENTS were unreasonable. In the end, the sheriff's policy was changed to allow parents to be involved when minors are questioned unless the allegation was made against said parent.

And of the "sexual assault" nothing of any type ever occurred. Apparently the little girl had done something to here clothes thatshe knew would make her mom mad, so she said "johnny did it". And of course my daughter saw nothing, 'cus there was nothing to see. Unfortunately, the school district DEMOTED the principle and moved him to another school, which was completely wrong to do. Steve

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
I can't say anything about the truthfullness of this story, but I DID have a similar and serious incident between the local Sheriff's office and my 5 year old daughter.

I am sorry to hear that SISF..... I cant say anything to make that one sound any better. But I will say that policies are in place (at least in my agency) against that very scenario. And I remember many years back when those policies took effect. If your ordeal helped in making those changes statewide, then every parent thanks you and your family for the unacceptable behavior that you had to endure. You cant treat children that way, especially 5 year old children.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »
Hey OCK - thanks. It was pasco Co Sheriff's office.

I used to work for Fl DOC as a CO, so I'm not easily intimidated by the SO, though the other parents involved were pretty well intimidated during the meetings.

I'll tell ya another one - PCSO again - A 28 year old married woman with kids was having sex with a number of 15 year old boys. One was my stepson and another his best friend. I told he to stay away from my stepson or I would have her arrested. She messed around again,  I found out and called PCSO. The first deputy responded to our house; I explained the situation to him and he responded - I SWEAR - "Why do you want to get this poor woman in trouble". I told him to call his supervisor and get out of my house. Child protective investigators came in, and she was arrested and ultimately sentenced.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't lived it. Steve

Offline Stasch

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »
If the original story is true, that was a HUGE waste of resources on a matter that should've been handled locally by the parents and teacher.

We're talking $5 and the hearsay of children to make a federal issue out of NOTHING that should involve the government or law enforcement resources.

Its so ironic how over the top this culture can be over meaningless issues, yet fail to have any common sense regarding critical and life threatening ones.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1