Author Topic: Should I stop my Health Insurance  (Read 22911 times)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: Should I stop my Health Insurance
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »
tort reform

interstate sales of insurance

repeal of government mandated coverage

require drug companies to sell products for the same cost in USA that they do overseas

How's that for a start. All these have been shot down by congress in the past.

Excellent  points! In addiction remove the tax incentive for employers to provide insurance, replace with a tax incentive to individual to purchase insurance.

Not only would individuals then be able to take their insurance with them if they change jobs, they would directly oversee the cost vs coverage of their insurance policy, and react to competition...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
I like that idea and it would be independent of where you are employed or not.  Then the individual could shop for the best bang for the buck.  Unfortunately, the drug and medical companies, hospital corporations, and insurance companies lobby Congress and the President.  Getting something that makes sense is virtually impossible.   Oh, and I forgot the lawyers.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
Shhh! I have really good insurance with a kick ass dental plan at a good price. I don't want to see a thing change on my end.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 03:15:24 PM »
Now we got some good idea flowing! And unfortunately, what Jim said is the truth :(
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
And let us not forget to have all them Lawyers er..I mean..Members of Congress to be on the same plan as all of the rest of us.

It would get fixed instantly if that happened.  :thumbs:
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
Think how much free market competition, the influx of however many gov union employees, kicked to the private market with the rest of us, would generate. Competition for business directly affects pricing.

Excavator

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
And let us not forget to have all them Lawyers er..I mean..Members of Congress to be on the same plan as all of the rest of us.

It would get fixed instantly if that happened.  :thumbs:

There you go. If Obamacare is so great then why are they exempt?

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".
COG 9250

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
There you go. If Obamacare is so great then why are they exempt?

Another way to fix this......everybody cancels their insurance.  TOMORROW.

Obama wants single payer, give it to him.  The chaos will end this idea in weeks maybe even days.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:14 AM »
tort reform

interstate sales of insurance

repeal of government mandated coverage

require drug companies to sell products for the same cost in USA that they do overseas

How's that for a start. All these have been shot down by congress in the past.

That's a great start How about all politicians have to use the same system that returned serviceman do .

I was at Congress last year when in the USA and they have TWO Ambulances stationed behind the building One labeled for Senators and one for Congressmen .I mean they had them sitting there and HARD wired into a power supply with two security guards .

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
To answer a question that was axed back on page 3, the reason the US didn't do this earlier is because it is unconstitutional! It is illegal! It is NOT a function of gummint per the CotUS. Our founder wanted less government rule and more individual freedom.
We have the right to PURSUE happiness, not the right TO happiness. Our gummint is supposed to PROMOTE the general welfare of the people-not PROVIDE it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
Why is it illegal (Devil's advocate here)?  Is it illegal because you don't like it per your own values or the way you interpret the Constitution?  I don't like a lot of things but I don't think they are going to change the laws just for me or for you or even a goodly number of citizens claiming the same idea. Governments evolve and change.  Our founding base of laws was made to be modified, otherwise they (FFs) wouldn't have put in the ability to add amendments.  Events are happening today that the FFs couldn't conceivably imagine yet the government still functions and continues to evolve.

Supreme court Justices are chosen because of their backgrounds and the cases they've presided over.  Just because a Republican President picks a justice doesn't necessarily mean they'll vote conservative every time as we've just seen.  Same goes for the Democrats.   Interesting world to say the least.

I can certainly understand why you would be upset over the SC action but there's always different tactics (that rascally Constitution again) to change or modify laws.  Berate your Congress person to change what you feel is wrong.  That's about the best you can do in this case.  I certainly tell mine a thing or two at times.  You'll have a really good chance this Fall, I understand.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
A court that tells me that I have to buy health insurance when I'm happy to not have it I think is what he's saying. The court is saying he'll be happy buying it thereby providing him with gov't happiness. He's saying he's persuing his happiness by NOT having it thank you. He'd like to choose another option that works better for him, and who better to know that than him. Thats what a mandate is I believe, mandatory. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
involuntary servitude

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
A court that tells me that I have to buy health insurance when I'm happy to not have it I think is what he's saying. The court is saying he'll be happy buying it thereby providing him with gov't happiness. He's saying he's persuing his happiness by NOT having it thank you. He'd like to choose another option that works better for him, and who better to know that than him. Thats what a mandate is I believe, mandatory.

Sounds like a personal issue to me.  Be angry, be upset, doesn't matter.  It is what it is for now.  Channel the anger towards changing the law.  Change the law by voting for the representative and Senator who shares your ideas.  It's the way the system works.  Didn't any of you take 'government' in high school?

And by the way, it's not the court telling you to do anything.  It's just affirming what Congress passed and the President signed.  It can all be undone, though it takes time and it has to go through the process all over again.  It's a beautiful thing, really.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Damn it Jim. Would you stop injecting logic and reason into a socio political discussion.  ;)
COG 9250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »
You're right, of course.  Wrong planet.  I thought I was on Vulcan.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »
Of course its very easy to say, well, its the law of the land and we must abide and work to change it in other ways. Well, yes, you are right, but you asked where did it say it was illegal. I'm not angry at all, dissappointed, but not angry, I was merely trying to convey to you what I thought another member was saying. I didn't need a patronizing comment about my high school education while answering your flippant question concerning the obvious. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
....... Channel the anger towards changing the law.  Change the law by voting for the representative and Senator who shares your ideas.  It's the way the system works.  ....................

In another time there where people who felt that the "system" would not work for them in any regard and that system must be shed. At one point these people where called patriots. They were people like Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams.

I wonder what they will be called this time.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Didn't they have something to do with the present regime?

I spent time last night watching my DVRd episode of 'Queen and Country'.  It brought me to tears, but I digress.

Ok, so what kind of government do you want?  Now bear in mind, the majority of folks here in the US like the present form of government, me included, but I'm open to suggestions.....right now I'm leaning towards a monarchy....what's your druthers?