Author Topic: '85 or '08 C10? needs a fender  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Stasch

'85 or '08 C10? needs a fender
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Not sure where to put this.  It could be in C10 discussion, For Sale, Wanted or in Open.

I've been working on a project and have it together with the exception of one part.  Can you tell which part it is?

More pics here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/582543730MiRkXs?vhost=rides

If you have a 2000 front fender, thats the color I need.  It would keep me from having to paint a good condition '05 fender I have.  What are the chances of finding one?  Not sure, but I have to try.

This is an '05 that had a low speed right low side slide.  I've put an '88 body and cans from another '88, 92 or 93 - can't remember now.  Not sure if it should be called an '85 or an '08 !!   Guess I can't really do either so I'll call it an 88/05 for now.

The project came out well.  It looks great and has had:  valve adjust, carb sync, air filter cleaned / oiled and an oil / filter change.  It runs and rides great. 

The '88 fairing stay was modified to accomodate the '94 and newer inner fairings and gauges.  Guages remain from the original '05 so the mileage is exactly accurate.  All the inner fairing pieces look great - those parts were purchased from other bikes being parted out as the '05's originals were crack and marred.

A personal downside is that I'm conflicted on whether to keep the 88/05 combo with 27,4xx mi. or my 2000 with 64,9xx mi.  Both run flawlessly and start instantly.  I kind of like the entire fairing being red over the 2 tone of my 2000.

This same 'problem' happened to me a couple years ago when I did a similar project involving a '95 with only 11,xxx mi.  That bike came out really well too and I was in the same dilemna. 

That '95 was eventually traded for a '95 GPZ 1100 (ZX1100E).

There is nothing wrong with the 88/05 bike mechanically.  I would be perfectly comfortable keeping it and riding it anywhere and everywhere just like I've been doing with my 2000. 

It has a few minor cosmetic issues or variances - but you have to be looking for them.

- A small BB sized dent on top front right of tank.

- Some scratching in a 1" x 1.5" concentrated area on the left side cover where it looks like the tank was attempted to be removed / reinstalled with side cover in place.  I've seen this on other C10's too.

- The instrument cluster is raised up about 3/8" closer to the rider than stock.  Had to shim it up a bit for it to fit the modified stay, so its not almost flush with the upper inner fairing shrould like other C10's.  It looks good - just not completely stock.

- The '88 body had 50,000 miles on it, so there is some other minor normal wear and age places on the finish that can be expected on a 24 year old bike.  From normal viewing distance its fine.  I'm making note of it, as I'm comparing this to my 2000 which is practically perfect.

This 88/05 will have a salvage title.  The ins. co. totaled it out to its original owner (who bought it new) due to the obscene OEM costs of the complete fairing, mirrors, inner fairing and bag parts.  He elected to keep the bike and the project was born.

If the salvage title keeps buyers away I may just decide to keep it and sell the 2000.

My 2000 has been with me since '03 and has never been down or tipped over - no cracks or issues.  Most of its farkles would be retained to switch over to the 88/93/05 if I kept it. 

Stuff like Audiovox cruise control, Corbin seat, Cee Bailey WS, Kneesaver pegs, passenger floorboards, Shad 42L top box, Hella Optilux driving lights and light bar.

Still have to work a bit on the 88/05 bags - they're solid but a bit faded - need some Back To Black or other sprucing up.

I welcome thoughts and opinions on this, and if you have a 2000 fender laying around - I'm your guy.

If I think of other stuff about the bike I'll add it later.  I have a ton of other pics of the bike finished and when under progress.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: '85 or '08 C10? needs a fender
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
I've been working on a project and have it together with the exception of one part.  Can you tell which part it is?

Luggage rack cover?  Panniers?  Little plastic loop for speedometer cable? 

Bar end weights?  I see they aren't the stock bars.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »
All good questions Outback_John - these pics were after the first cleanup after all the main parts were assembled making the bike rideable.

I was surprised thinking there would be a lot of vibes without bar end weights - but its pretty good as is.  There will be stock bars on it soon though - they are enroute.  The set you see there is destined for the GPZ.

The speedo cable plastic loop will be on the fender.  The zip tie you may notice is a temporary measure to ensure that thing stays away from spinning wheel and rotor at all times!

I have the bags - just not mounted.  Also have a rack cover - just not installed.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
All good questions Outback_John
I was just trying to be a wiseass.   :rotflmao:  And I get complimented on it.  :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Stasch

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
OK I get it - you were 'missing' the obvious. 

But you win because I fell for it.

You are indeed good at your craft!  ;D