Author Topic: C14 Long-Term Reliability  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Farry22

C14 Long-Term Reliability
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:15:29 AM »
I'm planning on pulling the trigger some time this winter on either a Concours, R1200RT, or a Triumph Sprint.
One of my friends, He says they are just not good quality engines and systems as they were in the past, and he sees a lot of repairs on the later models.
I could easily flop back over to the Triumph at this point, but would like to hear from you that have a lot of experience with the bike.  I have owned Kawis in the past, a couple from new, and had great results, but none of them were models from the recent years, as this bike will be.

(admin edit: hidden link removed)
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:29:30 AM by Rick Hall »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: C14 Long-Term Reliability
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:57:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Does your friend own one and have first hand knowledge of poor quality engines and systems?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:14:00 AM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Compared to BMW and Triumph, the Kawasaki motors and running gear are indestructible.
I have nearly 200k miles on my 1989 C10 and 75k on my 2007 C14.
We have at least 2 on here who are over 200k miles on their C14s and several in the 100k+ bracket.
Remember that this is a detuned ZX14 (1352cc) motor and that motor has awesome reliability.

My C14 has had some clutch issues and had to have a bearing replaced in the output bevel box.
A few have had leaks from the final drive, but most I know of have had little or no problems.

Besides, the R1200RT and the Sprint ST are both substantially under-powered compared to the C14.
I would say the RT is more comfy, but the motor is bland and prices are high.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 05:39:03 AM »
Compared to BMW and Triumph, the Kawasaki motors and running gear are indestructible. [...]Remember that this is a detuned ZX14 (1352cc) motor and that motor has awesome reliability.

It is not detuned.  It makes the same overall power as the ZX14, shifted lower in the RPM band where it is more useful and appropriate for the bike's intended use.  It is tuned to be exactly what it is- a sport tourer, a very reliable, smooth, comfortable, powerful bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:18:04 AM »
Farry, as others have sed, some in the club have over 200K on their C-14's.
Many have over 100k.
Like all bikes, there have been some problems on the engines.
ie; We've seen some tranny and clutch problems. But the percentage is extremely low.

NOTE: If your buying new or even recent used, extended warranties can be bought with the original that cover the engine for 6 years. BMW or Triumph don't have that coverage.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline CDII

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
I'm very comfortable with the longevity of it. I've had Kaw drag bikes in the past now C14's.
Tough motors and gearboxes.
Perfect? None are, but these are very good.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 07:53:53 AM »
Remember that this is a detuned ZX14 (1352cc) motor and that motor has awesome reliability.

It is not detuned. 

Well done Boom', but next time you need to add that the C14 is an excellent bike to ride as long as the high beams are on in the daytime.
You need to press all of max's buttons, not just the one that's easy to get to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm am one of the very few that have had trans' problems but it was covered under warranty that would have been expired on a BMW or a Triumph. So like Ted said, the warranty
is a big factor, and to be clear it can be extended 6 years which is in addition to the original 3 years. My 2010 model purchased in 2011 is still under warranty (90,000+ miles)
until this coming March.

One of my friends, He says they are just not good quality engines and systems as they were in the past, and he sees a lot of repairs on the later models.

I'm not saying your friend is wrong, especially if he works at a dealer or has other specialized experience, and to be honest the 2019 and 2020 models do appear to be
assembled out of spare parts that Kawasaki has had sitting on the shelf because they haven't been needed in the field. However there should still be some new 2017 and 2018
models out there waiting for you to buy at a discount which should have excellent reliability. You may have to travel to purchase one, but have no fear, it'll get you back home.
In somewhat contrast to what your friend has said, I've noticed improvements over the years, better brake rotor carriers starting around 2011-12 and better (at least different
part numbers) 3-4 gears in the trans' also around those model years. 

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »
I own a 2012 C14 purchased new in 2014 and before that had a BMW R1200RT. I looked at purchasing a Triumph Sprint before I purchased the C14 and elected to purchase the Kawasaki for reasons set forth below. I loved the BMW but it was always in need of service. Adjusting the valves and balancing the throttle bodies was a necessity at least every 6000 to 10000 miles or vibration in the bars was unbearable. Service was expensive and the nearest dealer was three hours away. The Triumph had a dealership availability problem also and there are far less aftermarket accessories available for the Triumph. I ride long distance and wanted something that was reliable. Bought the C14 and have never regretted it. Almost 50,000 miles on it and have only been back to the dealer to install new tires or to purchase oil and filters. The C14 has more raw power than the BMW and I don't know about the Triumph. The Kawasaki is an impressive bike that demands almost no service. It is a thrill to ride. If I had to replace it, I would buy another C14. Can't say enough.

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
You need to press all of max's buttons, not just the one that's easy to get to.

:battle:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
If you ask Max, it's the MOST reliable bike, he probably ever owned, and needed the LEAST amount of maintaining...

but that don't mean it didn't need some maintenance... when he finally got "round to gettin' 'er done"... in reality, it was very reliable, and ran well for many miles over "normal maintaining" we take in stride, without a fail.

It didn't Break the bank, or require a Mortgage to do his long needed servicing either...

just jerking yer gerkin bro... these bike live well without anything... Max proves it...
OOOOOPpps I just did it again.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hail: :hail: :cool: :cool:

seriously tho, I've ridden(hundreds) and owned many bikes (lost count around 40)..... this model (in particular my '08), has proven to be most trouble free, my major costs are only Tires.. some oil, a few filters... and a lot of love.  I'd never buy a B'Mr, nor really never buys a Triumph (having owned to many Brit cars.....)..... I guess my Blood runs "Green"

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
I think we're being trolled, guys.  Op is from Thailand.  Good discussion though.  Debating on whether the danger is clear or present and whether the sword needs to swing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
If you ask Max, it's the MOST reliable bike, he probably ever owned, and needed the LEAST amount of maintaining...

Hmm.  Well, I have had three bikes.  It has been the most reliable of the three.  As far as how easy a valve adjustment is... let's not go there, the other maintenance stuff isn't too bad.

these bike live well without anything... Max proves it... OOOOOPpps I just did it again....

Hey!  I did it, didn't I?  And before it blew up or anything...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
I think we're being trolled, guys.  Op is from Thailand.  Good discussion though.  Debating on whether the danger is clear or present and whether the sword needs to swing.
I'd hold off on swinging the bastard and see if if the time zone thing is relevant and the op comes back in the middle of the night to check in. Thailand being way over there and all.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »
I don't care if we are being trolled. My answer is still the same. This is a great bike.

I am over 42k miles on my 2009 and have had very few problems with it since I got it in 2010 with 3500 miles on it.

To prove that I believe it, I don't forsee replacing the bike anytime soon. I have always replaced my previous bikes around 30k miles and this one just works great and I see no reason to change.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline O.C.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 01:34:01 AM »
I think Farry needs to find some better educated more reliable 'friends'    :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 04:03:31 AM »
I don't care if we are being trolled. My answer is still the same. This is a great bike.

I am over 42k miles on my 2009 and have had very few problems with it since I got it in 2010 with 3500 miles on it.

To prove that I believe it, I don't forsee replacing the bike anytime soon. I have always replaced my previous bikes around 30k miles and this one just works great and I see no reason to change.

As I stated previously.....good conversation.  I went about 10 years on mine (75k).  We're now only starting to see some issues develop, none on the engine though as far as I can recall.  TPMS, Front Rotors, body fasteners cracking and falling apart (but then that happened early on) early on.  ABS issues for some.  I wouldn't know about other brands such as BMW's and Triumphs.

I know that my Indian is a bit more problematic than what I had on the C14 and C10 bikes.  The C14 is one of the best kept secrets of the Sport Touring world.  The person I sold mine to loves it.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 07:42:32 AM »
Get's around, doesn't he?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 06:27:58 AM »
Darn it.  I knew something was up with this.  The sword has swung.  I really like doing that. 

If someone wants to start another thread on that subject..by all means.

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
Someone reported this thread...  Hmm...

I got rid of my c14 around 40K back in..... 2010?  No major issues other than something odd with the clutch - grab point kept varying.  Probably a leak.

It was a big heavy pig.... Btw, test rode a k1600gt few months ago... Almost bought it too.  Fully loaded, 2015 MY, 4K miles, $15K OTD.   I got the third degree when I got home about getting a bike.  The throttle response was extreme.  Not what I remember the c14 or fz1 (both tuned up with pc3) being.