Author Topic: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving  (Read 9996 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving
« on: March 13, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
Went shopping at a local market today and had the cashier whisper to me, in fear, that when she sneezed she was afraid people would 'pounce' on her. Then went to a gas station and witnessed people (many??? All??? ) driving like mad people to and fro.

The stock market is down nearly 30%. And our President goes on national TV to tell us he has banned travel [to and from] Europe.

I would say that this is simply unbelievable but unfortunately, truth is stranger than fiction.

Keep it up, my fellow Homo Sapiens Sapiens, and we will be killing each other faster than any minor virus ever had a hope of doing......

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Corona virus.... the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
It is apparently all about toilet paper
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:33:45 AM »
People are stupid.  Stupidity is dangerous. Do the math.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 02:57:17 AM »

Still haven’t figured out why they need toilet paper for an upper respiratory infection. I guess they will buy Kleenex next time they have diarrhea
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 04:44:20 AM »
This is just a guess but I'm thinking the majority of the population is scared that they'll be stuck in their homes without said paper.  They are also hoarding food and anything else they can get their hands on.  Just go to any Walmart, Cosco, BJ's, etc and see what's going on.  Fahget about buying hand sanitizer.  But in the spirit of capitalism, I bought 1 very large box of mechanics rubber gloves and would be willing to part with each pair for $10.  Virginia just closed schools until the end of the month.

I work out of the house so I don't go into the general population that much.  Best place to eat these days are the Asian restaurants as they are mostly empty...no waiting.  Crowds are down everywhere and it's possible that the Feds may have a limited shutdown looming.  All my meetings are going virtual now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 10:59:57 AM »
Well, here's an a-hole who got the tables turned on him.  Thought he'd do a little profiteering and got caught.  This is why we need to bring back public flogging.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/he-has-17700-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them/

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:15:42 AM »
Chicago and some other municipalities have passed bans on the transfers, of any kind (read: sales) of any firearms or ammunition: think about that for a moment.

Otherwise, there seems to be plenty of food on the shelves, at least at the local, smaller stores. Of course no toilet paper anywhere apparently.  ::)  That should not be a huge problem, we will just take showers every week instead of every other week- this should also help keep people at least 6 ft. away from us..... a two- fer.

Schools here also closed and this seems to be becoming the norm. from elementary schools right through universities. RI has banned any event that will gather more than 250 people in any single place. Not sure how that will apply to things like movie theaters. ??

Things may get, oh let's say mischievous with all the kids at home, bored and looking for things to do. But if they lose their connection into the neural net (the Internet), things are going to get much worse, much faster. Can we even imagine 20, 30 million kids w/out the little boxes from which their entire life flows? Gonna' be worse than NYC was in Ghostbusters.

The result is probably going to be something like 1,000 Americans killed by this bad cold that is going around, 100,000 Americans killed due to over- reaction and general idiotic behavior.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
Then went to a gas station and witnessed people (many??? All??? ) driving like mad people to and fro.

Well to be honest, that isn't a recent event. It's been that way for years. Brian you need to get a bike and go riding, it's been too long. You don't need a sport-tourer, just a used
naked upright model that will get you some local lean time. It will be therapeutic for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from that, yeah you're probably right about all the rest. The over reaction/emotional response may kill more than the virus does. Still, on the bright side, millions now know how to properly
wash their hands that apparently didn't know before.   ::) ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:36:13 AM by fartymarty »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »
Oh no, what I saw was faster / stupider / more careless / downright close to 'impactus surprisity' than I think I have ever witnessed before. Seriously, human I.Q.'s just dropped off by at least 20 points, at least where there are more than a couple of people.

And I am not upset in the least- I have learned to expect this kind of behavior. In fact, I expect it to continue on its downward spiral but am not worried about it. The Mrs. is home all of this week and that may be extended. We are fortunate in that both of us can / do work from home, though she usually goes into the office normally, with the current connectivity available, she can work from home indefinitely.

Brian

Well to honest, that isn't a recent event. It's been that way for years. Brian you need to get a bike and go riding, it's been too long. You don't need a sport-tourer, just a used
naked upright model that will get you some local lean time. It will be therapeutic for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from that, yeah you're probably right about all the rest. The over reaction/emotional response may kill more than the virus does. Still, on the bright side, millions now know how to properly
wash their hands that apparently didn't know before.   ::) ;D

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:18 PM »
I'd hate to see a diarrhea virus break out right now. People be buying up all the nasal spray  :nuts:

Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »

Still haven’t figured out why they need toilet paper for an upper respiratory infection. I guess they will buy Kleenex next time they have diarrhea

Are you telling me that stuffing TP up your nose doesn't prevent one from getting the virus? Had I known...

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »
yea, I'm trying to figure out if I should stock up on the 1 or 2 ply.  ;D

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
The USA doesn't have a monopoly on dumbf***s, we have plenty over here too. Many supermarkets have sold out of fresh meat (I assume it's going into home freezers), toilet paper, any form of soap (yes, even car shampoo is sold out), anything tinned, flour (I guess millions have suddenly decided to make their own bread), and so many other things. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't such a blatant demonstration of how selfish and stupid many people are.
There are NO shortages, just distribution issues caused by the panic buying idiots.
One local supermarket ordered 10 times it's normal TP delivery for 3 days running and now finally it actually has TP on the shelves as the locusts just can't find any more room to store it in their houses  :rotflmao:
Many local restaurants who previously didn't are now offering home deliveries as a way of keeping going and keeping their staff employed
Local bakeries and butchers are also seeing a boom in business, but once the panic wears off and the morons finally realise that what the trash-press/media/facebull told them was all a load of crap, those mom-and-pop shops are going to go out of business. Hopefully the sensible ones will have enough buffer to weather the storm, but I doubt if many do.
Here they are going to have to knife/beat each other to death which should at least slow the massacre down.  ::)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:25 AM »
Ah, the major difference between the UK and US: we have started to pull firearms on each other without having to resort to stabbing and beating first...... Why not just go to the end solution to begin with?

My son lives in VA, w/in sight of a WalMart and apparently this morning a customer (and idiot- a person can be many things at one time) pulled a pistol on an employee after said employee seems to have given the "wrong" answer (something such as: 'Sorry, we are out of that'). No matter, they have whatever the customer wanted in jail I am sure.

For the record, this is a true story but told with sarcasm, I am firmly 2A myself.

Brian

The USA doesn't have a monopoly on dumbf***s, we have plenty over here too.

<snip>

Here they are going to have to knife/beat each other to death which should at least slow the massacre down.  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
My son lives in VA, w/in sight of a WalMart and apparently this morning a customer (and idiot- a person can be many things at one time) pulled a pistol on an employee after said employee seems to have given the "wrong" answer (something such as: 'Sorry, we are out of that'). No matter, they have whatever the customer wanted in jail I am sure.

Wow.  Obviously a very illegal action, but what we don't know is if it was legal for that person to have and/or carry and/or conceal a gun in the first place.  Something the "mainstream media" seems to always conveniently leave out.  It seems, in the vast majority of cases, the answer was "no."  And so we are back to the circle (of those who don't obey existing laws won't obey additional laws).

Meanwhile, I am glad I have [legal] protection if things start to break down.  A hell of a lot more important than a year supply of toilet paper....  I always thought the trigger in this area would be a hurricane.  But I suppose a virus could do it, too.

For the record, this is a true story but told with sarcasm, I am firmly 2A myself.
:thumbs:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 07:29:27 PM »
Re-post of my thoughts over on "the other forum":

We always have two weeks or so of food and supplies on hand.  We live right in the Washington State "hot zone", but no worries.

People are panicking due to all the psycho-babble scare crap on the news, those people excel at stirring up the $hit-pot.

People are stupid.

Stop flying.  Stop traveling.  Stay home.

This ain't "the big one".  That's still in our future.

Watch this movie to see how it turns out:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=movie+panic+in+the+year+zero&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0RNdAaRYD3Y

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »
Just for 'fun' my wife and I watched Outbreak and Contagion last night.  :o

Contagion has a LOT of parallels as to the way things are currently going.

Outbreak did as well but it also threw in the stupidity of our country's leaders and that's a BIG parallel to what we've been experiencing, up until yesterday at least.     

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
Anyone notice that pretty much all the stories about the virus features a picture of the thing?

Just in case you see it out in public, do NOT approach it!  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Thanks.  I was on the lookout for that.  Haven't seen it yet.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »
Just for 'fun' my wife and I watched Outbreak and Contagion last night.  :o

Contagion has a LOT of parallels as to the way things are currently going.

Outbreak did as well but it also threw in the stupidity of our country's leaders and that's a BIG parallel to what we've been experiencing, up until yesterday at least.   
What happened yesterday? You wake up from your TDS coma?