Author Topic: Jake's Ride to Julian and Ojai, CA  (Read 1968 times)

Offline BMahar

Jake's Ride to Julian and Ojai, CA
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »

Jake's Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All;

Last weekend I had a ride to Julian, California with my son, Mike, son-in-law, Jim, 2 grandsons, Shawn and Jake and friend Ed. We left on Friday from Anaheim and rode across the 91 Freeway to the 15 Fwy to the country road to Julian where we had lunch. No Apple Pie though as the lunch was more then enough to fill the void, even for the 20 year old grandsons.

The return ride took us down to Escondido and back to the 15 Fwy north. Big mistake, as we were involved with the Friday afternoon commuter traffic as well as the start of the three day Presidents Holiday Weekend getting out of town traffic. It took us 2hours to cover 43 miles, just south of the 91 Fwy.

From there the traffic flow was 70 to 75 mph to the Euclid Ave off ramp, then cross town traffic to home.

I'm from the Central California area and haven't ridden in traffic like that since I retired and moved to the Sierra Nevada Foothills. The reason for the ride was my youngest grandson, Jake is getting married in March and joining The Marines in April so we wanted a family ride before those events.

Even with all the traffic we had a wonderful time and ride which may never happen again.

The next day Saturday we all rode to Ojai for the day. Another great ride. Our rides consisted of 3 Yamaha Viragos, 1 Honda Fury, 1 Honda CTX1300 and my 2012 Triumph T100 Bonneville.

I'm hoping I get to do another ride in So Cal with my family in the near future, except Jake, who will be in The Marine Corp Boot Camp at Pendleton.

Cheers, Brent

2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline connie14boy

Re: Jake's Ride to Julian and Ojai, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
Jake's Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All;

Last weekend I had a ride to Julian, California with my son, Mike, son-in-law, Jim, 2 grandsons, Shawn and Jake and friend Ed. We left on Friday from Anaheim and rode across the 91 Freeway to the 15 Fwy to the country road to Julian where we had lunch. No Apple Pie though as the lunch was more then enough to fill the void, even for the 20 year old grandsons.

The return ride took us down to Escondido and back to the 15 Fwy north. Big mistake, as we were involved with the Friday afternoon commuter traffic as well as the start of the three day Presidents Holiday Weekend getting out of town traffic. It took us 2hours to cover 43 miles, just south of the 91 Fwy.

From there the traffic flow was 70 to 75 mph to the Euclid Ave off ramp, then cross town traffic to home.

I'm from the Central California area and haven't ridden in traffic like that since I retired and moved to the Sierra Nevada Foothills. The reason for the ride was my youngest grandson, Jake is getting married in March and joining The Marines in April so we wanted a family ride before those events.

Even with all the traffic we had a wonderful time and ride which may never happen again.

The next day Saturday we all rode to Ojai for the day. Another great ride. Our rides consisted of 3 Yamaha Viragos, 1 Honda Fury, 1 Honda CTX1300 and my 2012 Triumph T100 Bonneville.

I'm hoping I get to do another ride in So Cal with my family in the near future, except Jake, who will be in The Marine Corp Boot Camp at Pendleton.

Cheers, Brent

2 of my favorite rides when in SoCal- also try the Ortega highway and Mt. Baldy for some thrills with the kids next time. Julian was where the last public hanging took place in California, and the site of an 1870's gold rush.

Offline BMahar

Re: Jake's Ride to Julian and Ojai, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
  Back in 1965, Angeles Crest Hwy was my favorite ride. I could go up in Pasadena and ride across Route 2 and come down in Azusa on 39. Back then 39 was open, even when a land slide would occur they would clear it away. I'm told that route is no longer open.
  I've ridden the Ortega Hwy many times and it's a real hoot.
  Back then I was riding a 1965 Norton 750 Atlas. During the week there was no traffic on any of these roads and I had a great time on that Norton.
  The next ride in So Cal will be on Angeles Crest as I haven't ridden it since 1971. I'm way over due.
  Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black