Author Topic: Discolored Automotive Headlights  (Read 2756 times)

Offline jim_de_hunter

Discolored Automotive Headlights
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
I want to renew the headlights on my wife's '03 Impala.  What do you guys do?

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Discolored Automotive Headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
Buy a polishing kit and go at it, if it's the clear cover that has yellowed. About $10-20 depending on the brand and you can get them at Home Depot or you local auto parts store. I bought the Turtle Wax brand.

It's not hard to do and a LOT cheaper than new units. I recently did a 99 Nissan Altima, an 01 Mitsu Galant, and my 2000 F-250 in about an hour. Read the directions and take your time. I taped up the paint around the light so I didn't polish it when I began to rub. You wash the dirt off the light, polish it clear, then use the clear sealer to finish it. Use a bucket or something to sit on and do it in the shade so you give it enough time.

The kit uses a very fine grit polish that is wet like you might use for jewelry. Mine worked out pretty good. Just take your time.

My wife's Toyota Sienna is next.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Leo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I got a bottle of Blue Coral headlight restorer from the auto parts store for less tha $8.00.  Just rub it with a damp rag.  Lasts 3 or 4 months. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
Surprisingly I went on Ebay and for like $40 got brand new headlights. Couldn't get everything out with the polishes, although there are better ones out there now.