Author Topic: Eco indicator small one  (Read 16696 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Eco indicator small one
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
I admire your optimism.

I was choosing to ignore Murpy's Law.  I suppose it COULD break, if somehow the trace on the LCD panel were damaged...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
I was choosing to ignore Murpy's Law.

Murphy has followed me where ever I have gone or done, my entire life.  Examples, recently lost my job, and both my computer and dryer quit within a week.  Murphy is a Mofo, for sure. Always optimistic, though.  Borrowed a computer and hang my clothes up to dry.  Still no job, though.  Hopefully by February...   
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »
Murphy has followed me where ever I have gone or done, my entire life.  Examples, recently lost my job, and both my computer and dryer quit within a week.  Murphy is a Mofo, for sure. Always optimistic, though.  Borrowed a computer and hang my clothes up to dry.  Still no job, though.  Hopefully by February...

Sorry to hear about your job. I can relate. In Nov 2013 after 26 years at the same company I lost my job. I had to move from Colorado Springs to Austin but was able to find a great job at Apple. So my advice is search aggressively, use your contacts, be willing to move and hang in there.

Offline tomp

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your job. I can relate. In Nov 2013 after 26 years at the same company I lost my job. I had to move from Colorado Springs to Austin but was able to find a great job at Apple. So my advice is search aggressively, use your contacts, be willing to move and hang in there.

Thanks, man.  I hear ya. Led to believe I had a job in February, guy told me last night it's now just a maybe.  Probably time to start Social Security soon, while there are checks still being sent. 

Back to the eco indicator, my 08 doesn't have it.  I do wish it had the eco mode selector, though.  Hear that mode increases mileage, without changing riding habits.  tp

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »
Back to the eco indicator, my 08 doesn't have it.  I do wish it had the eco mode selector, though.  Hear that mode increases mileage, without changing riding habits.  tp

It is FEAM (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode) or "FEA" mode selector, technically (not that it matters, everyone just says "eco mode").  It does improve economy slightly- by about 10% or so based on past general feedback from the members.  To me, it is not enough to really care one way or the other about but I suppose on really long trips it might help with overall expense a little.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
It is FEAM (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode) or "FEA" mode selector, technically (not that it matters, everyone just says "eco mode").  It does improve economy slightly- by about 10% or so based on past general feedback from the members.  To me, it is not enough to really care one way or the other about but I suppose on really long trips it might help with overall expense a little.
Thanks.  Even with a 5 MPG improvement, it adds almost 30 miles to a tank.  After a while it's like a free fill up.  On my 08, riding sanely, I get around 42MPG.  Against the wind at 80+, down to around 37.  Still better than my XB, that's for sure.  Around 25-40%. . .tp

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
I have a PCV that leans it out just about everywhere across the board, so I don't bother with the second map for fear of running too lean. I never noticed much difference in mileage when using it on trips before mapping it. I've never seen my mileage average above 35 MPG. Usually 32.something.
I've burned a tank of fuel in an hour in the Texas Hill Country. She was pinned most of the time, with my Wife on the back. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
I've never seen my mileage average above 35 MPG. Usually 32.something.

Wow- my typical is the same as Tomp's, around 42MPG.

Offline tomp

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I have a PCV that leans it out just about everywhere across the board, so I don't bother with the second map for fear of running too lean. I never noticed much difference in mileage when using it on trips before mapping it. I've never seen my mileage average above 35 MPG. Usually 32.something.
I've burned a tank of fuel in an hour in the Texas Hill Country. She was pinned most of the time, with my Wife on the back. ;D

You one bad azz on that 14.  Worst I've ever gotten is 36.8MPG.  Not a lot of fill up spots out there, especially on the Sisters.  Last time there, was on a loaded Road Glide.  Dam near scraped the floor boards off the bike, keeping up with my friend on his RT.  Don't  kid yourself, an RT will kick butt on a C14 in the twisties.  I know, have had three, and still have one. 

elp_jc

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
It does improve economy slightly- by about 10% or so
I bet it's a lot less than that. Vehicles already run borderline lean due to emissions regulations; basically negligible, as several owners have stated. Plus it's overridden above 30% throttle, 4K rpm, and forgot which other parameters, so on a trip, it'd rarely kick in anyway.

Hey Tomp, so the RT has better cornering clearance than the C14? I had a 2014 RT that gave back to BMW due to the recall. Took it to the twisties once, and could take them as fast as on the sportier K1300S, with both almost dragging pegs the way I like to ride on the streets. I remember my 2007 FJR touching way earlier, but with the new Gen3, that supposedly got better. Hope the C14 is more like the RT and less than the FJR... although on most comparos I've seen, the C14 is slammed as the worst handler (and heavy-steerer) of them all, and the Gen3 FJR as the best. Who knows. Let me know your more detailed impressions:). Thanks.

Offline tomp

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
I bet it's a lot less than that. Vehicles already run borderline lean due to emissions regulations; basically negligible, as several owners have stated. Plus it's overridden above 30% throttle, 4K rpm, and forgot which other parameters, so on a trip, it'd rarely kick in anyway.

Hey Tomp, so the RT has better cornering clearance than the C14? I had a 2014 RT that gave back to BMW due to the recall. Took it to the twisties once, and could take them as fast as on the sportier K1300S, with both almost dragging pegs the way I like to ride on the streets. I remember my 2007 FJR touching way earlier, but with the new Gen3, that supposedly got better. Hope the C14 is more like the RT and less than the FJR... although on most comparos I've seen, the C14 is slammed as the worst handler (and heavy-steerer) of them all, and the Gen3 FJR as the best. Who knows. Let me know your more detailed impressions:). Thanks.
Had an 03RT, a 12RT, and now an 04RT, in fact, the one I could not keep up with on the Sisters. Traded my 12 and its payments for the 04. RT's are much easier to take through the twisties than the 14.  May be the tire size and profile differences, but the 04 is such a neutral handler at speed, any top end loss is made up in the turns.  I still like riding the 14 more, but we don't have really twisty roads in my locale.  Heard the FJR is still a little buzzy, and limited with a 5 speed, but I would like to ride one a while to see. 

The '14 Buy Back, was not BM's fault, but the shock mfgr's.  They recalled 8800 bikes and took back most, because of the problem.  Something hardly any other company, bike or car company would do.  Many took the new shock, and all has been good for them since then.  Never got to ride a 15, but customers raved about them.  tp