Author Topic: Recommended tires for aggressive riding ?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Rezoyen

Recommended tires for aggressive riding ?
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Soon i'll need to finally replace the stock tires and i would want something i can get decent mileage (like 4k) but that is very good in the twisties at high speed and good lean, for reference i was able to scrap pegs on stock tires, but they are absolute garbage on wet ( as i learnead sliding) and if possible i like tires that are decent on wet too.homework binder

Since this is my first motorcycle i have zero tires experience so i'm open to suggestion.

Please list the tires you tried and how they compare to each other and to the stock since they are my only reference point.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:34:45 AM by Rezoyen »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Recommended tires for aggressive riding ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
I would suggest you search for tire threads on the site.  There are lots of them.

Almost any tire is better than the stock tires.  My last 3 sets have been PR4GT and they don't cup or wear strangely, last twice as long (objectively), stick twice as good (subjectively), and handle very well in rain.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Not to be rude but you say this is your first motorcycle and you're talking of dragging pegs and sliding in the wet, I wonder if your insurance is as strong as your ambition. Good luck on your tire search and hope to see you around awhile.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
Black and round will be just fine. They don't make bad motorcycle tires anymore. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Black and round will be just fine. They don't make bad motorcycle tires anymore. 8)

Except those OEM ones on the Concours :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Not to be rude but you say this is your first motorcycle and you're talking of dragging pegs and sliding in the wet, I wonder if your insurance is as strong as your ambition. Good luck on your tire search and hope to see you around awhile.

If he can drag pegs on the 021 Crapstones, MotoGP has it's next Valentino!!!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 04:40:50 AM »
PR4-GT, PR5-GT, Angel-GT2, Roadtec Z8 Interact, Spirit, Roadsmart3..... all are better than the BT-021.
The OEM Bridgestone BT-021 are not good tyres.

Personally I like the PR4 (non-GT) but I'm not a peg scraper.

Keep the rubber side down!!  :banana
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »
Since this is my first motorcycle i have zero tires experience ......

Yep, C14 would have been my first bike choice as well.  :P

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Yep, C14 would have been my first bike choice as well.  :P
;)
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »
My first bike was an 81 Honda SilverWing....500cc's of pure non-power.  Didn't need to worry about tire performance on that bike...no indeed.  LOL.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »
My first bike was an 81 Honda SilverWing....500cc's of pure non-power.  Didn't need to worry about tire performance on that bike...no indeed.  LOL.
kinda like your current bike! 😂

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 04:14:16 AM »
Right....which is in the shop to fix a squeal at the moment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 04:41:39 AM »
Except those OEM ones on the Concours :)

You know, I didn't experience any issues with those tires that I can remember.  Considering I came from a C10, those tires were a nice upgrade.  Just depends on what you were riding before I guess.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 05:33:32 AM »

You know, I didn't experience any issues with those tires that I can remember.

I remember it and even documented it in my log.  At the time, it didn't seem horrible, also because it seemed to be the same as any tires I put on my previous bike (of course, that was a loooong time ago).  I didn't realize just how bad they were until I put good tires on THIS bike.  I think tire technology has improved significantly over the last 20 years.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »
Yeah the stock 021 front turned to crap on the ride home from the dealer. Everyone had that issue, whether they knew it or knot. 8)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »
Looks like the OP is a “one and done” member. Spent 8 mins and 48 seconds between registering and logging out while making this post. Hasn’t been back since. Between that, a C14 being his first bike, scraping peg feelers before having enough experience on a bike to even wear out the crappy OEM tires? Sorry, but I call BS!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline strum

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
 You never know who (not naming names)  comes in under an alias just to stir a little.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »
You never know who (not naming names)  comes in under an alias just to stir a little.

What would the point of doing that be? Other than just having way to much free time on their hands?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »
if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... and even moreso passes the floatation principle of Monty Python.. it's a witch.. then I can only say.... this used to be my old member photo.......

aggressive riding... bwaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaa

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..